ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hornloading 12" coaxial driver.  (Read 5776 times)

Phillip Forney

Hornloading 12" coaxial driver.
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »

Could I mount a 12" coaxial driver in my community m80 mid-bass horn? Would this work or not? Would a larger rear chamber need to created? Thanks.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: Hornloading 12" coaxial driver.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »

Could I mount a 12" coaxial driver in my community m80 mid-bass horn? Would this work or not? Would a larger rear chamber need to created? Thanks.

Hello,
   Yes you could....but, the real question is....would the addition make the M80 a better box?

First: what make/model of coax driver are you referring to?   

Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Phillip Forney

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »

Hello,
   Yes you could....but, the real question is....would the addition make the M80 a better box?

First: what make/model of coax driver are you referring to?   

Hammer

I don't have a driver in mind. I was just curious. The old design that I was using had a separate hf horn and was quite large 39x30x28. I was wondering if I could get away with something the size of just the mid-bass horn.

No, it isn't a great sounding horn and with not a lot happening below 200Hz. It is, however, very loud with great control down to almost cutoff frequency.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »

I don't have a driver in mind. I was just curious. The old design that I was using had a separate hf horn and was quite large 39x30x28. I was wondering if I could get away with something the size of just the mid-bass horn.

No, it isn't a great sounding horn and with not a lot happening below 200Hz. It is, however, very loud with great control down to almost cutoff frequency.

Chances are, it's not going to work like you want it too. Higher frequencies want to be in a smaller horn in order to control the pattern and to provide full horn-loading. You would be much better off by getting the optimal 12" for your mid horn and then mounting a small comp driver and horn in the mouth of the midbass horn. This approach is used all the time to on all kinds of speakers.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »

Will it work? Yes. How well? Depends upon the driver(s) you use. Will it work as well as separate devices? Probably not, but the trade-off for a smaller size package may be useful for you.

Given the size of the M80 I don't think you can get a horn/driver of any significance to mount in the M80 throat. We used to use the M80's back in the 80's w/ TAD 1201, and they were quite impressive in a 4-way system, but such systems are not very common any longer.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Phillip Forney

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »

I was thinking that if I could find a 12" with an actual horn in the center for the hf, that it might give the proper control of the hf while adding control to the 12". I was hoping to find a coaxial so I could keep it simple with a passive crossover in the driver itself. If I added the horn into the mouth, I would have to biamp to align properly.

Phillip Forney

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 08:33:35 PM »

I was thinking that if I could find a 12" with an actual horn in the center for the hf, that it might give the proper control of the hf while adding control to the 12". I was hoping to find a coaxial so I could keep it simple with a passive crossover in the driver itself. If I added the horn into the mouth, I would have to biamp to align properly.
Ooops. I didn't mean to do that.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »

There are several things that need to be considered-if talking about a coax.

First is how well the 12" part of the coax can be horn loaded.  Your back volume is only part of that equation.

The other part (that could be the biggest problem) is what happens to the high freq part of the coax. 

Now there are different types of coax drivers.  Some have the driver behind the woofer magnet and the HF horn goes through the dust cap.  Others have the HF driver behind the woofer and the HF goes through the center of the woofer and there is a seperate horn flare in front of the woofer cone.  Yet another type has the HF driver and horn in front of the woofer cone.

Consider that most of the HF pattern has already been "established" by the time the signal gets to the front edge of the woofer cone-no matter which type is used.

So the particular coverage patterns need to be considered.  If the M80 horn pattern is less than the rated horn pattern of the coax, then there will likely be some cancellations going on in the HF response.  And this cancellation will not be consistant.  It could be an octave wide and kinda deep-particularly on axis, but there may not be that same cancellation on the edges of the coverage-or it may be different.

So you would not be able to EQ an possible notches-at least and still maintain the same sound within the coverage pattern.

Just another thing to consider.  It might work-or not.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.