ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hum Removal  (Read 10476 times)

Dave Marra

Hum Removal
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »

I've been running sound for a local open-mic at a particular venue and am having to now deal with a new HUM in the system.  It's right at 60hz where the DEQ2496 easily displays it.  I added a Brick Wall (http://www.brickwall.com/surge-protectors/computer-server/two-outlet.html) surge suppressor that I had around that definitely reduced the hum somewhat but hasn't eliminated it altogether.  Are there other power conditioner components that don't cost a fortune that I could try?

The effects rack uses a Tripp-lite IBR-15 for it's power distribution.

- .dave.
Kingdom Sound, LLC
Milford NH

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
Re: Hum Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »

I've been running sound for a local open-mic at a particular venue and am having to now deal with a new HUM in the system.  It's right at 60hz where the DEQ2496 easily displays it.  I added a Brick Wall (http://www.brickwall.com/surge-protectors/computer-server/two-outlet.html) surge suppressor that I had around that definitely reduced the hum somewhat but hasn't eliminated it altogether.  Are there other power conditioner components that don't cost a fortune that I could try?

- .dave.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »

Look into the Sescom IL-19 Extreme Hum Fighter @ sescom.com

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »

- .dave.

Power conditioners will not solve ground loop noise, RF noise in signal lines, or magnetically induced noise from adjacent devices. Figure out what's changed with your setup or environment between the time things were quiet and when the noise started. In lieu of that you need to use a real troubleshooting method where you unplug everything from the system and start turning things on one at a time starting with the amps and speakers. Then plug the upstream devices one at a time until you find what's causing the noise.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Dave Marra

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »

Then plug the upstream devices one at a time until you find what's causing the noise.

In some sense I do know what causes it.  My effects rack is configured in the following way for the mains.  I have a mackie 24.4 mixer from which I utilize the MONO out for the FOH amp send.  I use an insert cable for the L&R mains which inserts, in the following order, these components:  Alesis 3630 compressor, Peavey Kosmos Subharmonic Synthesizer and then a Behringer DEQ2496.  When I unplug the insert cable the FOH goes silent.  When I plug the insert cable back in, the hum returns.  Therefore I can only conclude that the hum is generated by one of those three items - yes I need to determine which ONE of them it is.  I'll have to arrive very early next time to do that since it requires rerunning cables.  Note that this all occurs with all sliders at their lowest (off) position.

These three components do not exhibit this behavior in the other venues I go to; hence the desire for some kind of power conditioner.

Your comment about "what has changed" is well advised as I have been asking what has changed in the building in the past several weeks but have found nothing yet that can be considered as contributing.  I will have to try running an extension cord to another power source temporarily to see if that may help.

- .dave.
Kingdom Sound, LLC
Milford NH

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »

In some sense I do know what causes it.  My effects rack is configured in the following way for the mains.  I have a mackie 24.4 mixer from which I utilize the MONO out for the FOH amp send.  I use an insert cable for the L&R mains which inserts, in the following order, these components:  Alesis 3630 compressor, Peavey Kosmos Subharmonic Synthesizer and then a Behringer DEQ2496.  When I unplug the insert cable the FOH goes silent.  When I plug the insert cable back in, the hum returns.  Therefore I can only conclude that the hum is generated by one of those three items - yes I need to determine which ONE of them it is.  I'll have to arrive very early next time to do that since it requires rerunning cables.  Note that this all occurs with all sliders at their lowest (off) position.

These three components do not exhibit this behavior in the other venues I go to; hence the desire for some kind of power conditioner.

Your comment about "what has changed" is well advised as I have been asking what has changed in the building in the past several weeks but have found nothing yet that can be considered as contributing.  I will have to try running an extension cord to another power source temporarily to see if that may help.

- .dave.

I would be tempted to leave that whole list of units, unplugged  8)

OK, seriously,,, there is a ground issue between that insert and your external gear.  The insert on that Mackie is probably TRS, so single ended (all three conductors in the insert cable are carrying signal), so mutual ground conduction in the insert cable shield ground lead can also corrupt your audio.

The simplest solution is to keep this path very short and plug the effects units into the same power drop as your mixer.

If that doesn't work, you can improve your situation by replacing the single ended insert wiring with DIY custom cables that treat shield and signal low as different leads inside the cables. The signal is clean by definition "at" the insert jack, so the issue is getting that clean signal ground reference to and from the external gear being interfaced without corruption.

You might also experiment if the order of the gear in that insert loop makes a difference. If the hum is being introduced in the input or output of just one unit, changing the order they are plugged up could help...

For best results I suspect you will need to melt some solder making better cables, and maybe put one or more of those units out of your misery.

Note: if you want specific details do a search on custom insert cable wiring, this has been discussed at length before on the former forum.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dave Marra

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »

All valid points to be sure.  However, the same configuration of equipment does not exhibit any hum, buzz, or unwanted noise in a different venue.  Hence my desire to determine how it's entering the system. 

If the hum is introduced to the wiring due to the physical building I'm in (RF or Electrical noise in the air etc); then maybe I should invest in lead - or is that only good for x-rays?

Perhaps I should get the owner to install new, filtered, circuits dedicated to me only for sound.  I actually think he'd go for that.

- .dave.
Kingdom Sound, LLC
Milford NH

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:42:36 PM »

All valid points to be sure.  However, the same configuration of equipment does not exhibit any hum, buzz, or unwanted noise in a different venue.  Hence my desire to determine how it's entering the system. 

- .dave.
Sorry I didn't take the time to read through this entire thread, but is this happening while everything plugged into the same exact electrical outlet??

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »

Is it really that hard to patch around each of the units one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem? That would have been the first thing I did before I asked for help from anyone else.

An almost sure fire solution would be to sell the Alesis and the Kosmos to someone you don't really like very much, and run the DEQ2496 inline instead of as an insert. There is no reason any of that gear should be an insert, no reason to have a 3630 on an output, and little reason to have a Kosmos at all.

The fact that the problem only occurs at one venue you go to now is irrelevant. The fact that it does occur means it could occur somewhere else, and the problem needs to be solved at your system, not the building power.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »

If the hum is introduced to the wiring due to the physical building I'm in (RF or Electrical noise in the air etc); then maybe I should invest in lead - or is that only good for x-rays?

Perhaps I should get the owner to install new, filtered, circuits dedicated to me only for sound.  I actually think he'd go for that.

- .dave.
Um....  The  most likely vector is potential difference is between the power ground the mixer is plugged into, and the external gear is plugged into. Next possibility is an unusual noise field in the room, that single ended insert wiring won't reject.

You can try to brute force the problem by following my simple suggestion (short signal runs, same mains outlet, etc)... OR  you can deal with the weakness introduced by the low cost gear design with better audio wiring.

Of course you could also invest in more professional gear with balanced inserts , but you won't find that easily in low cost equipment.

JR

PS: If you want to shield out the hum field, mu metal makes better shield material, but trying to fix the room is not the obvious path for sound system operators. 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.