ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new vs used A&H board  (Read 3719 times)

Matt Martin

new vs used A&H board
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:33:08 am »

Used gl2200-32 - $800 no roadcase
New gl2400-32 - price just under what it goes for online

What is the main difference between the old model and the new one? I don't know much about A&H stuff. Besides a warranty, is there a major plus to getting a new one?

Are the preamps a total renovation?

Sorry for the vagueness, I can supply more feedback if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: new vs used A&H board
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:06:19 am »

I'd be happy to have either one on a gig.  I would not pay a lot of difference for a new 2400 VS a good used 2200 - no where near an extra $1000.

Matt Martin

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 02:15:56 am »

That's what I was getting at if it was worth the extra money or not. A little bit of a design change doesn't mean anything to me. Thanks Tim, I see this as a major upgrade from the ole Peavey!! HA!

Also, I really only need about 24 channels, but more is nice. Especially, since I think I found a pretty good deal. A lot of used ones I've seen go for a little higher still.
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:00:56 am »

Used is just fine as long as you're able to deal with the fact that used won't always mean perfect. You'll have no recoarse if there are problems, and there's nothing like the look and smell of a brand new piece of hardware. Just be sure that this isn't a more impulsive buy than a buy made because you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket. In either case good luck.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 11:01:47 am »

I've had a GL2200 for over ten years now, and I'll be using it this weekend.  Best investment I ever made!  I had issues with solder joints and internal connections, but they were easily repaired. Mine resides in an Anvil case and my repair man suggested that I haul it in a horizonal position in the trailer.  That position puts less stress on the internal boards and connections.  I have had no problems since then and the board still looks new.

The only real difference that I am aware of is that the 2400 has a 7X4 Matrix, a feature that I haven't needed.  I don't know if they have changed the pre-amps, but I have no complaints with the older ones. 

If I needed another, I would not hesitate to buy a used one, but my next mixer will be digital.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:05:44 am by Chuck Simon »

Matt Martin

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:50:36 pm »

Used is just fine as long as you're able to deal with the fact that used won't always mean perfect. You'll have no recoarse if there are problems, and there's nothing like the look and smell of a brand new piece of hardware. Just be sure that this isn't a more impulsive buy than a buy made because you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket. In either case good luck.

Not really an impulsive buy, just looking to get a new mixer. I fully understand the possible risk of buying used, but I have an authorized A&H dealer that my business does work with. In that case, I get good deals on repair (if needed).

Don't get me wrong, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning opening new gear. But, if I really wouldn't have to spend $1000+ to get the same thing, why not?

I've bought my share of crap through the years, so that's why I'm asking about the performance difference as well.
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 03:56:56 pm »

Used gl2200-32 - $800 no roadcase
New gl2400-32 - price just under what it goes for online

What is the main difference between the old model and the new one? I don't know much about A&H stuff. Besides a warranty, is there a major plus to getting a new one?

Are the preamps a total renovation?

Sorry for the vagueness, I can supply more feedback if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Like the others say, not a huge difference either way.  Either one is still an A&H GL2***.  I too would mix on either one.  As others have mentioned, you gain a small matrix system with the GL2400.  Also, you lose the two 60mm fader inputs near the top that the GL2200 had, although I don't think most people paid any attention to those anyhow.  Also, the 32 channel GL2400 is close in size to the 24 channel GL2200.  So that says something about saving space, or stuff getting smaller, all depending on how you want to look at it.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 04:58:33 pm »

Not really an impulsive buy, just looking to get a new mixer. I fully understand the possible risk of buying used, but I have an authorized A&H dealer that my business does work with. In that case, I get good deals on repair (if needed).

Don't get me wrong, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning opening new gear. But, if I really wouldn't have to spend $1000+ to get the same thing, why not?

I've bought my share of crap through the years, so that's why I'm asking about the performance difference as well.

Then this should be a good deal for you Matt and I wish you good fortune with a great board.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:57 pm »

Also, the 32 channel GL2400 is close in size to the 24 channel GL2200.  So that says something about saving space, or stuff getting smaller, all depending on how you want to look at it.

Are you sure about that size difference Chris?

It seems to me that A&H indulged in a little "console math" for some of their products (goaded into it my other manufacturers, no doubt) where they counted the four stereo line inputs and 8 more "channels".

I'm pretty sure that the GL2000, 2200, and 2400s I've seen were all basically the same size for the same number of mic pres, which is what really counts for most live users.

GTD

Josh Duke

• Boston, MA
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:05:50 pm »

Also, the 32 channel GL2400 is close in size to the 24 channel GL2200.  So that says something about saving space, or stuff getting smaller, all depending on how you want to look at it.

Are you sure about that size difference Chris?

It seems to me that A&H indulged in a little "console math" for some of their products (goaded into it my other manufacturers, no doubt) where they counted the four stereo line inputs and 8 more "channels".

I'm pretty sure that the GL2000, 2200, and 2400s I've seen were all basically the same size for the same number of mic pres, which is what really counts for most live users.

GTD

We just got a GL2400-32 to replace our GL2000-24, and the new board is not that much wider and is actually not as deep as the old one.  Not sure about height.  Things are definitely tighter (space-wise) on the 2400 vs the 2000, but not like a Midas...  LOL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:05:50 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.