Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

any China voltage woes I should be aware of?

(1/3) > >>

RaySoly:
we are to tour china this summer any precautions voltage wise or others you might suggest..we are playing large urban theaters and are to use some of their installation (PA for one thing, I bring my FOH, console racks etc....220v transfos etc..) but am being told although things look new they don't always work as expected...

thanks

Ray

Charlie Zureki:

--- Quote from: Ray Soly on April 28, 2011, 01:35:45 PM ---we are to tour china this summer any precautions voltage wise or others you might suggest..we are playing large urban theaters and are to use some of their installation (PA for one thing, I bring my FOH, console racks etc....220v transfos etc..) but am being told although things look new they don't always work as expected...

thanks

Ray

--- End quote ---

"although things look new, they don't always work as expected"  is an UNDERSTATEMENT. 

Meter Everything!   Use UPS systems.  Be very watchful of your gear.   Be wary of what you eat or drink.  It is common in parts of China for the locals to eat or drink "things" that while harmless to them, could kill you.

Have fun, don't get nervous, keep your papers with you, avoid dark alleyways, be mindful of their laws, and take lots of photos.

Cheers,
   Hammer

Dan Meier:
I don't know what kind of gig you are going to do in China, but here are some of my learnings from my tour in China:

- When told "no problem, very professional", expect the worst.
- Meter everything ( for example: I got a 110V reading between two legs of an XLR, when I showed this to a local tech, he pointed at the drums overheads saying "phantom power")
- Remember that it is considered rude to answer "no" to a question. So, ask the good questions...
- Bring what you'll need as much as possible...
- Breathe in, breathe out...
- Enjoy the amazing (real) chinese cuisine!!!

Cheers

Dan

RaySoly:

--- Quote from: Dan Meier on April 28, 2011, 06:36:40 PM ---

-Be wary of what you eat or drink.  It is common in parts of China for the locals to eat or drink "things" that while harmless to them, could kill you.

--- End quote ---

so do I eat or not??!!

Ray

Charlie Zureki:

--- Quote from: Ray Soly on April 29, 2011, 09:22:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dan Meier on April 28, 2011, 06:36:40 PM ---

-Be wary of what you eat or drink.  It is common in parts of China for the locals to eat or drink "things" that while harmless to them, could kill you.

--- End quote ---

so do I eat or not??!!

Ray

--- End quote ---

Hello,

I wasn't saying not to eat....just be cautious. Their food safety standards are a bit lax. Some parts of the Country, they have NO food safety standards.

While they can eat raw crab or shrimp (or ?)in some areas of the Country, I would suggest that it would probably make you very ill.

Rotten Pork Meat is a specialty in some areas. (reminds me of Wales and their Chickens)

Just saying...be careful with the food. If you are a "pet person", in parts of the Country, Dog  & Cat is common. You can see their bodies hanging on hooks, so don't be surprised & upset.

Parts of China lack the common restroom facilities...No toilets, just a hole in the floor, and soap is not common.

You'll never forget the smell of some towns.

Good Luck,
  Hammer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version