ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Craigslist Soundman  (Read 15293 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Craigslist Soundman
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »

I should know, I'm not really a sound guy.

The best line ever!

My favorite thing to do when I see these ads is to call them up and ask for their insurance information to give to my lawyer for the claim I'm filing for tripping over one of their cords at their last event.........

Evil, but fair enough! 8)

Not really evil, just a way to get their attention and help them realize the risk they're taking in providing service for pay without insurance.  When they realize it'll cost them something to safely be in business, they MIGHT start realizing the true cost of providing and raise their rates.  Certainly the failures he'll endure will help him learn the hard way.  I just try to keep them from getting in REAL trouble.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Royce Covington

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 02:20:48 AM »

He never says he can give you a good mix, just that he knows what one should sound like!

he never says he can give a good mix, because the title of his ad states, "live band pa for rent" and although he has various prices for mileage, he doesn't indicate he'll deliver, let alone, set anything up.   

of course, anyone who will blindly hire a pa from craigslist, likely won't care about those details anyhow...it's cheap!

R~
"If you love what you do, you'll never work another day in your life..."

- Confucius

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:03 AM »

The best line ever!

My favorite thing to do when I see these ads is to call them up and ask for their insurance information to give to my lawyer for the claim I'm filing for tripping over one of their cords at their last event.........

This is actually a serious question:  In the US; can you just call up a business and demand their insurance info?  How common is it?  Anyone ever ask for yours?

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 03:56:47 AM »

So, pay this guy to bring the gear and sit down. Then pay a real soundguy to run it. The total price should end up in the traditional range. (And if you are lucky, maybe the mix will too.)

It seems like every industry has a bunch of low budget wanna be's. My state has an over abundance of rednecks with a pickup truck and a ladder. They call themselves construction contractors.

I actually know of a sound company here that booked the lowballers to show up at the gig, asked them to leave their stuff in their respective vans and told them to push boxes for the real gig.  Their entire fee was less then the normal wages for stage hands!

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 05:15:43 AM »

So, pay this guy to bring the gear and sit down. Then pay a real soundguy to run it. The total price should end up in the traditional range. (And if you are lucky, maybe the mix will too.)

It seems like every industry has a bunch of low budget wanna be's. My state has an over abundance of rednecks with a pickup truck and a ladder. They call themselves construction contractors.

I actually know of a sound company here that booked the lowballers to show up at the gig, asked them to leave their stuff in their respective vans and told them to push boxes for the real gig.  Their entire fee was less then the normal wages for stage hands!
Ah, now that is different. I never thought of that one. But I take it that is for a larger production than a local bar gig. That would work well for a one-off gig where you don't have time to train them on the basics. At least they should know what you mean when you call out certain items by name. A rookie laborer might just give you blank stares.
Member since 2005.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 05:37:02 AM »

This is actually a serious question:  In the US; can you just call up a business and demand their insurance info?  How common is it?  Anyone ever ask for yours?

Technically, yes, businesses are required by law to carry certain types of insurance to protect their employees (concerning medical expenses and lost wages) in case of accidents. They should at least be able and willing to show proof of insurance. Event patrons should also be protected from the hazards that loom around stages. Although in most cases, the venue will have insurance that covers patrons.

Some small-time soundguys either don't know about the law or they choose to ignore it, gambling that they won't ever get caught. If they don't have any employees they can simply rely on their own personal health insurance. But that doesn't cover loss of equipment or law suite restitution. It is still a gamble no matter how you slice it.

(I am not a lawyer, this is just what I have heard over the years.)
Member since 2005.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 05:53:43 AM »

...of course, anyone who will blindly hire a pa from craigslist, likely won't care about those details anyhow...it's cheap!

R~

Right you are! Many local bands believe that the PA system is just a necessary evil. They couldn't care less if it is good or bad, as long as it is cheap. In fact some of them are convinced that if it is expensive then it is just a big rip-off.
Member since 2005.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 08:30:03 AM »

As Gordon said, their are some coverages such as Workers Comp that may be required by law in each state or locality.  Other than that, while you can't necessarily just call up anyone and demand they give you their insurance information, as a Client you can require whatever coverage you want and that any agreement or contract be contingent upon their providing evidence of that coverage.  Having specific insurance requirements and requiring being named on the policy and provided a Certificate of Insurance is probably more common with government and larger corporate Clients and primarily addressing liability.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »

The best line ever!

The point is not that you can or can't do it.  The point is that it gets their attention and attempts to enlighten them on the ramifications and responsibilities of providing service(s) for folks.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Royce Covington

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 02:25:48 PM »

At least they should know what you mean when you call out certain items by name. A rookie laborer might just give you blank stares.

sadly, union, or even a seasoned laborers often give blank stares...

"If you love what you do, you'll never work another day in your life..."

- Confucius

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 02:25:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.