ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Acoustic treatment for shed roof  (Read 16300 times)

Denny Conn

• Hult Center for the Performing Arts
Re: Acoustic treatment for shed roof
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 11:46:44 AM »

Hi Denny,

It's called the Willis Tucker Amphitheater in Marysville, WA.

http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Parks/Park_Information/Amphitheater.htm

Regarding the various materials used for sound absorption and what parts of the frequency spectrum they do or don't affect, my big summer concert series went to a new stage last year that had a 3/4" plywood flat back wall ~28' x ~12'. There was a nasty slap coming off of it from monitors/band gear/backspill from line array, and simply putting a flat theater curtain (no pleats) across it made enough of a difference that the reflections were down in the murk rather than being front and center like they were without the curtain. Sometimes a little is enough, IMO.

Good luck,
Dan

Thanks, Dan.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 04:48:25 AM »

I would suggest that due to the size of the roof, the cost of replacing the foam/acoustic material would be significant enough to allow enough profit for the consultation to be effectively free.  If you call several acoustic contractors to give quotes for the renewal/replacement of the material, I would suspect that any serious contenders will site visit, take some measurements and make the necessary calculations to ensure they are selling you the right stuff.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 06:03:37 AM »

I would suggest that due to the size of the roof, the cost of replacing the foam/acoustic material would be significant enough to allow enough profit for the consultation to be effectively free.  If you call several acoustic contractors to give quotes for the renewal/replacement of the material, I would suspect that any serious contenders will site visit, take some measurements and make the necessary calculations to ensure they are selling you the right stuff.

Buyer Beware.

Some "Acoustical Contractors" are simply drywall contractors who have access to a few extra acoustic related products. I was a part of one of those many years ago and let me tell you...the estimator didn't know any more about room acoustics than the customers he was selling to.
Member since 2005.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 08:19:11 AM »

Buyer Beware.

Some "Acoustical Contractors" are simply drywall contractors who have access to a few extra acoustic related products. I was a part of one of those many years ago and let me tell you...the estimator didn't know any more about room acoustics than the customers he was selling to.
My experience has been that there are some very good acoustical product contractors, and at least around here some very good reps, but also many acoustical contractors that are more like those Gordon noted.  They do good work but their measurements and calculations may be along the lines of measuring how much area of material is potentially involved and calculating how much they can charge.  And talking with the product reps and manufacturers, it seems that many rely greatly on the manufacturers, distributors and reps for any acoustical analyses or calculations.  Also, many acoustical contractors don't carry multiple product lines so they sometimes have limited options available and thus approach things more from a how to apply the products they sell to the situation perspective.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 08:19:11 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.