ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer's new nuSeries  (Read 2163 times)

Poopedi Kwena

Behringer's new nuSeries
« on: April 27, 2011, 01:47:06 pm »

I dnt knw 2much in-depth of amps specs but looking @ nu6000, 6000W in 5.5KG (12lb). Wats the catch? If any

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: Behringer's new nuSeries
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:59:36 pm »

I dnt knw 2much in-depth of amps specs but looking @ nu6000, 6000W in 5.5KG (12lb). Wats the catch? If any

They don't exist...

Other than that, little catch. Similar tech to Peavey's IPR series I imagine.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:01:25 pm by Chris Carpenter »

Robin Whyte

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:47:03 pm »

...  looking @ nu6000, 6000W in 5.5KG (12lb) ...

Well, first of all it's Behringer, so their specs are insane.  In real life, it is probably only 1500 watts of useable power.

Second, it is probably "Class D" power -- which is known to give huge output at no weight.   I have a Yamaha 512 powered mixer that is 1000 watts (500 a side into 4 ohms) that is as light as an acoustic guitar.  "D" amps are commonly called "switchers", and (in theory) don't give the most accurate low bass (below 60hz) response.  But for a vocal PA application, they are amazing.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »

Well, first of all it's Behringer, so their specs are insane.  In real life, it is probably only 1500 watts of useable power.

Behringer is actually pretty good about rating their amplifiers. See the tests at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855865. The main issue with Behringer is longevity.

Robin Whyte

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:45:42 pm »

Behringer is actually pretty good about rating their amplifiers. See the tests at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855865. The main issue with Behringer is longevity.

I do not want to get into a wetting contest on this one, but I recently A/B'd a Behringer powered 12" floor monitor versus a simple Samson.  I wanted a fair test, so I purposely did not compare it to an EV or a JBL.  The difference was night and day.  The Behringer got loud but all the volume was inside the box, it didn't project into the room.  The Behringer had great specs, but it's sound quality was poor.

Or ... as a Harmon Kardon Citation audio engineer told me many years ago at a trade show:  "It's really very simple.  You can either build to specs, or build to music."

Behringer is not a musical product line (though, of course, there are rare exceptions).

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 07:02:19 pm »

I do not want to get into a wetting contest on this one, but I recently A/B'd a Behringer powered 12" floor monitor versus a simple Samson.  I wanted a fair test, so I purposely did not compare it to an EV or a JBL.  The difference was night and day.  The Behringer got loud but all the volume was inside the box, it didn't project into the room.  The Behringer had great specs, but it's sound quality was poor.

Im sorry, I dont understand what you mean the "volume was inside the box".

Or ... as a Harmon Kardon Citation audio engineer told me many years ago at a trade show:  "It's really very simple.  You can either build to specs, or build to music."

Behringer is not a musical product line (though, of course, there are rare exceptions).

I get where your coming from.
Perhaps my ear isn't well trained enough, but I rarely perceive a difference in the sound of behringer gear
as compared to others when it comes to equipment that's not supposed to color the signal too much (amplifiers, mixers, etc). Stuff like compressors and guitar amps may be another story when it comes to sound quality, but my primary problem with behringer has been longevity. It seems like if you don't treat the gear nicely, the moving bits will go bad (potentiometers, faders, etc).

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:16:46 pm »

...  looking @ nu6000, 6000W in 5.5KG (12lb) ...

I don't enjoy defending Behringer, but most major manufacturers rate amplifier power reasonably accurately. I expect no less of them. There may be differences in off sheet performance.
Second, it is probably "Class D" power -- which is known to give huge output at no weight.
Class D amplifiers in combination with switching power supplies are generally lighter weight than older technology. Class D with conventional PS can still have some bulk and weight.

I have a Yamaha 512 powered mixer that is 1000 watts (500 a side into 4 ohms) that is as light as an acoustic guitar.  "D" amps are commonly called "switchers", and (in theory) don't give the most accurate low bass (below 60hz) response.  But for a vocal PA application, they are amazing.

I am not familiar with that "theory" could you offer some thesis or citation? Once again I am not defending Behringer, but class D amplifiers have been around for decades and from my understanding do not have any such "theoretical" limitation.

They do have several practical considerations that influenced early executions more than recent offerings.

JR

PS: Your < 60Hz accuracy "theory" if anything sounds like perhaps a symptom of an early switching power supply with undersized mains caps, not the amplifier section, or related to class D technology.
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:16:46 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.