ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC K10s 'FOH' for small 8 piece band gigs  (Read 13094 times)

Rowan Smales

QSC K10s 'FOH' for small 8 piece band gigs
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:36:04 AM »

If you're one of the good chaps who responded to me on HarmonyCentral, please ignore this, The general opinion there was that they'd be 'on the edge' of working. I'd just like to get opinions from a couple of places.

I've got an opportunity to get a good deal on these K10s, but has anybody any experience of running these as tops for smallish gigs, say 100 people?

Its for a wedding band (funk, pop, disco) also for acoustic instrument reinforcement with a ceilidh band (violin, flute, ac guitar.

I've heard the QSC K10s, they sounded excellent but were noticeably quieter than Mackie SRM450s (for example).

I can't find any user reviews where the user has micced drums etc. and put them through the K10s. I'm not suggesting miccing the kit for volume reasons, just for a presence lift - so all the sound is coming from one place. I'm no pro tech, but I'm pretty sure my thinking is correct there?

I will be using a sub for any gigs where drums/bass are micced.

Instruments:

Vocals
Guitar (me, low volume, micced valve amp)
Bass (DI)
Drums (micced kick, snare, 2 OHs) not a loud drummer
Keys
Up to 3 horns, micced.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
Re: QSC K10s 'FOH' for small 8 piece band gigs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:42:24 AM »

If you're one of the good chaps who responded to me on HarmonyCentral, please ignore this, The general opinion there was that they'd be 'on the edge' of working. I'd just like to get opinions from a couple of places.

I've got an opportunity to get a good deal on these K10s, but has anybody any experience of running these as tops for smallish gigs, say 100 people?

Its for a wedding band (funk, pop, disco) also for acoustic instrument reinforcement with a ceilidh band (violin, flute, ac guitar.

I've heard the QSC K10s, they sounded excellent but were noticeably quieter than Mackie SRM450s (for example).

I can't find any user reviews where the user has micced drums etc. and put them through the K10s. I'm not suggesting miccing the kit for volume reasons, just for a presence lift - so all the sound is coming from one place. I'm no pro tech, but I'm pretty sure my thinking is correct there?

Instruments:

Vocals
Bass (DI)
Keys
Up to 3 horns, micced.

With that many inputs I'd just jump to the K12's or KW122's and add a Ksub or KW181 when needed for larger gigs. Honestly for that many inputs which occupy similar frequencies the K10 will get overwhelmed and not give you your desired volume. Jumping to the K12 or KW122 will give you more headroom, a larger speaker and the ability to do larger gigs without worrying about pushing your speakers too much.

I think the K10's are marketed more towards covering less inputs for the same amount of people and as monitors and such.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »

Instruments:

Vocals
Bass (DI)
Keys
Up to 3 horns, micced.

Rowan,
  With  all you've got happening on the stage, I'd suggest a something with a bit more substance.   Go up a few notches.  And, never without subs, unless it's a gig for Book signings, or town hall meetings.

Good Luck,
 Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Rowan Smales

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »

Thanks Charlie, Russel,

Rowan,
  With  all you've got happening on the stage, I'd suggest a something with a bit more substance.   Go up a few notches.  And, never without subs, unless it's a gig for Book signings, or town hall meetings.

Good Luck,
 Hammer

What do you mean by a few notches? any examples? are you suggesting a larger driver or more power?

With that many inputs I'd just jump to the K12's or KW122's and add a Ksub or KW181 when needed for larger gigs. Honestly for that many inputs which occupy similar frequencies the K10 will get overwhelmed and not give you your desired volume. Jumping to the K12 or KW122 will give you more headroom, a larger speaker and the ability to do larger gigs without worrying about pushing your speakers too much.

Why would the K10 have less headroom than the K12? What makes a speaker like the K10 have trouble with similar freq ranges?

(im not disbelieving you, just asking)

Jumping up a stage is out of my budget at this moment. I can get the pair of K10s for GBP £1000 (Uk rrp is 1500 for the pair) there's no way I can spend more, so Ive got three options...

1)I buy a stop-gap - SRM-450s maybe and wait till I can spend more on mains.

2)I buy the K10s and then sell them or use them as monitors when I can buy new mains.

3)I leave the money in the bank and keep on hiring crap gear and bleeding money.

What things would you guys suggest as a few notches up? Over on HC they suggested RCF ART312-A (actually a cheaper speaker) and JBL PRX612, as well as the KW122.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »

I would look into the new stuff from yamaha. Honestly I wouldn't want to tackle a band of this size with any pole mount speakers. Especially if there is only 1 sub.

Systems to look at would be the yamaha DSR215 if no subs are used, or the DSR118 with a DSR112 or 115 mounted on top per side.

Also the new Mackie HD series would work, but I am leery of their service after the sale. Mackie doesn't have the best track record in this area.

The JBL prx600 series has about the same stuff too. Everyone seems to be pretty happy with this line. It also says JBL on the front and for some people that means a lot.

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 01:46:59 PM »

I've a pair of K10's and a pair of SRM450's.  I didn't notice the K10's to be quieter than the 450's, but I did notice they sound more even/smooth.  The 450's have a bite to them that is tough for me to dial out.

If you're getting a good deal on them, then maybe just try them out to see what they can do.  If they don't work for you then you could probably turn them an not take a loss.

I use a pair of U15's & LS808's for FOH and sometimes I'll bring the K10's along and use them as fills for larger rooms.  Sometimes I'll test the system by bringing the U15's down and just run off the K10's.  I'm surprised at how well the K10's keep up.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:49:38 PM by Rich Grisier »

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:49:53 PM »

Why would the K10 have less headroom than the K12? What makes a speaker like the K10 have trouble with similar freq ranges?

(im not disbelieving you, just asking)

The K10 and K12 have the same power, but with a wider dispersion on the horn, and the 10 being somewhat less sensitive than the 12, the maximum output spec is 2 dB lower on the K10.  The K10 won't go as low either, but I don't think that's a factor if you'll always add a sub(s) when bass and drums are mic'd.  (The K12 doesn't really go low enough by itself either, IMHO)

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd go with the K10s, even if they eventually get moved to monitor duty (where they should be more than adequate).  The older I get, the more I believe that quality trumps volume for the kind of gigs which you describe (and I've done many of them over the last 25-30 years).

GTD

Gary Phillips

• SR Forums
  • Annapolis MD USA
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »

I'm curious - what does the number of inputs have to do with the choice of speakers?  The OP spec'd a crowd size of 100 ppl.  I am ASSuming that the OP will use some sort of mixer to feed the speakers; that is, he won't be using the multiple mic inputs available on some of the powered speakers.

gp

Rowan Smales

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 03:12:55 PM »

I'm curious - what does the number of inputs have to do with the choice of speakers?  The OP spec'd a crowd size of 100 ppl.  I am ASSuming that the OP will use some sort of mixer to feed the speakers; that is, he won't be using the multiple mic inputs available on some of the powered speakers.

gp

Yeah, I will be - a Peavey 14 channel. I presume that Russel meant that lots of similar freq instruments - horns, keys, guitar will lead to more chance of peaking, but I could be misunderstanding.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »

gp

I think the assumption is that a larger band will be louder by itself on stage, and the PA will need to be louder to "overpower" the band.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.