ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Versarray Processing.  (Read 8259 times)

Justin Myers

Versarray Processing.
« on: April 26, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »

Hello

I'm possibly interested in buying some Peavey Versarray 112 MKII.  After much accumulated time researching and reading on the web over the last few months there are a few things I'm concerned with.

From what I have read, it is very strongley suggested that you use the Peavey VSX Processor with these speakers otherwise you will have problems. In particular it was suggested not to use Crown processing.
I own Itech HD 5000's and Itech 8000's and can't see why I would not be able to get just as good results as the VSX if not better using the factory settings. I understand their factory preset is based on using amps with the same gain. I actually use to own a VSX 48 and found it a real pain to use. I don't see why it would give superior results.

Another post was about Itech HD 5000's damaging the ribbon horn. It was said the amp was way too powerful and a much smaller amp needed to be used. I don't understand that comment. Why wouldn't the RMS and Peak Limiters of the Itech provided the appropriate voltages to the Ribbon horn?

I guess what I'm trying to find out from people already using Versarray is that do I need to use the VSX processing and a put small amp on the ribbon horn? If so, it would probably be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks

Justin

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
Re: Versarray Processing.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »

I am sure you have already been to the Peavey Forums. (You Can Ask detailed Questions)

There is a white paper that explains this;

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/Voltage%20Gain.1.pdf

Regards,  John

Justin Myers

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »

I am sure you have already been to the Peavey Forums. (You Can Ask detailed Questions)

There is a white paper that explains this;

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/Voltage%20Gain.1.pdf

Regards,  John

Yes, checked out Peavey forum but wanted more of a second opinion.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »

Hello

I'm possibly interested in buying some Peavey Versarray 112 MKII.  After much accumulated time researching and reading on the web over the last few months there are a few things I'm concerned with.

From what I have read, it is very strongley suggested that you use the Peavey VSX Processor with these speakers otherwise you will have problems. In particular it was suggested not to use Crown processing.
I own Itech HD 5000's and Itech 8000's and can't see why I would not be able to get just as good results as the VSX if not better using the factory settings. I understand their factory preset is based on using amps with the same gain. I actually use to own a VSX 48 and found it a real pain to use. I don't see why it would give superior results.

Another post was about Itech HD 5000's damaging the ribbon horn. It was said the amp was way too powerful and a much smaller amp needed to be used. I don't understand that comment. Why wouldn't the RMS and Peak Limiters of the Itech provided the appropriate voltages to the Ribbon horn?

I guess what I'm trying to find out from people already using Versarray is that do I need to use the VSX processing and a put small amp on the ribbon horn? If so, it would probably be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks

Justin

Justin,
I'm not overly familiar with the Peavey product, but properly sizing the amplifiers for this cabinet is the same as it would be for any other product. If there are many reports of the ribbon driver being blown out then I suspect any number of things, however, the first thing which comes to mind is operator error, improper crossover settings, or an amp that's too large. I suspect this because regardless of stature amoung professionals, Peavey makes a decent product.

Now, a quick look at the specs states;
  There are many different approaches to power handling ratings. Peavey rates this loudspeaker system's power handling using the AES Standard 2-1984. Using audio band pink noise of the proper range for each driver, with peaks of four times the RMS level, and then running the signal through either the Peavey VSX 26 or Peavey Digitool MX speaker processor and crossover with the Versarray 112 pre-sets, this strenuous test signal assures the user that every portion of this system can withstand today's high technology music. This rating is contingent upon having a minimum of 3 dB of amplifier headroom available."

So, if you use nothing more than the time tested rule of thumb, and note that the ribbon driver is an 80 watt driver, a 160 - 200 watt amplifier for the ribbon driver will suffice. Any thing much larger than 200 watts per driver per cabinet is just asking for trouble. The same simple math should answer the questions concerning the 12" driver, and so on. Please feel free to do your own math and seek your own conclusions.

As for using Peaveys DSP / crossover I would be making calls to Peavey. If not Peavey than perhaps Don Boomer would chime in here. I think any DSP might work if the settings were what the cabinet expects to see. I also don't see a problem obtaining those settings from Peavey either. In the end the final decision is yours, but if it were me and I needed an array of this type and owned all Crown amplifier I might look to JBL first. But that's me, and yes the JBLs VRX is an array.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Justin Myers

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »

Thanks for reply Bob,

I understand what you mean. IT5000 can produce 2500Watt/Channel but the limiters can be set using voltages. Say for 80 Watt RMS/8 Ohm I'd be entering 25 volts. This will give me RMS Limiting at 25 volts and Peak limiting at 50 volts. I would hope this would provide the necessary protection to the driver. I want to keep my amps the same as Itech amps do not get any smaller.

VRX is definietly an option. I like what I have read about the sound of the Peaveys though and want to explore that option first.

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:09:34 PM »

Yes, checked out Peavey forum but wanted more of a second opinion.

FWIW-I owned a 12-box VR rig for about 3 years, always processed with Crown IT4000's, and it sounded absolutely stellar for my needs and I never had a single  issue. At the time I was a somewhat early adopter of the VR and Don Boomer was of great help with the initial setup... But if you take their recommended DSP settings, them in Harmon SA and your limiters properly, you should be very happy with the results.

I do miss the sound of that rig.....

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »

The reason you need to use the VSX or DigiTool processors is because no other DSP will be the same. You also need to pay careful attention to using amplifiers with the gain they specify or the limiters will not function properly.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Justin Myers

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Looks like I would still get a good result without using the VSX it seems. I just can't expect the factory preset to be exactly the same for the same result. Marty at Peavey has been very helpful as well.

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »

From what I have read, it is very strongley suggested that you use the Peavey VSX Processor with these speakers otherwise you will have problems.

I suppose you could use any DSP ... but it would probably be difficult to dial in the exact settings.  As I recall the crossover uses Bessel filters and the "electrical" filter looks nothing like the resulting "acoustic" result.  The VSX units are inexpensive and you can download and drop in the presets so there's really nothing you have to do.  Once it's there you don't need to change anything so it shouldn't matter whether or not you think the UI is difficult to work with.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:26:29 PM »

Justin,

You can't expect it to be remotely the same. You will have to do a TF by hand and build new presets in your device of choice.

http://www.soundforums.net/live/threads/14-DSP-Tower-of-Babel?p=6766&viewfull=1#post6766

Article is forthcoming, probably the next issue of FOH magazine and then it will be posted on SFN as well.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:26:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.