ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is more popular and why  (Read 12004 times)

Poopedi Kwena

Re: Which is more popular and why
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 01:03:46 PM »

I think u hav put it in a way I wanted it but like every1 says, pros and cons still count

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »

Thank you for ur replies but u guys are comparing (dis)/advantages in each which only partly answer my question.

I am really looking at the MOST POPULAR of the two and why?

An SM58 is probably the most popular vocal mic but is it the best?

Scott Bolt

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »

Thank you for ur replies but u guys are comparing (dis)/advantages in each which only partly answer my question.

I can answer that ..... NO ;)  I am not a big 58 fan (awaits the rain of criticism for my blasphemy)

To the OP,

Another poster said that powered speakers are relatively new ..... I disagree.  They have been around for around a decade ..... but I would clarify.

Good MI grade powered speakers are relatively new.  In fact, I would say that only within the last 3 years have we seen the rise of the powered FOH option for anyone that cares how they sound. 

To put it into perspective, I used to refer to poor PA setups as "PA on a stick" referring to the early powered speakers (weak, poor sound).

Today, the field is VERY different.

Many of the MI grade powered speakers now use Neodymium magnet speakers, separate power amps, integrated limiters, DSP, and a host of other features.

I recently replaced my FOH rig which consisted of the following:
    [list=1]
    • Klipsch KP301 3 way tops
    • Cerwin Vega LR36 folded horn bottoms
    • Crown K2 amplifier
    • QSC 3002 amplifier
    • Driverack PA

I now have a pair of Yamaha DSR112's and a pair of CV118s (I would prefer the new JBL PRX618 XLFs for the bottoms).

The powered rig is MUCH lighter, MUCH smaller, and sounds great.

I still keep the driverack pa, the Crown K2 and the folded horns for use in summer outdoor gigs where I need more bottom.

As far as the tops go, the DSR112's provide much more output than the Klipsch despite being smaller and lighter (and sporting a 12" vs 15" woofer).  The SPL of the Klipsch are 124 db while the DSR's put out 134 db.

I think that powered speakers are allowing the bar band class of musicians to have a much higher level of sound without having to know much about speaker management.

To get the same sound quality out of my old passive system, I had to understand time delay, cross-over points, power vs speaker matching, limiting, phase alignment, equalizing the system flat, and many other issues to get everything sounding as good as the powered rig.

Practically all of these things are handled for you in a less expensive setup, that is lighter, and smaller with powered speaker systems.

Even larger venues are going that direction.  I heard a guy that just came back from Disney talking about their setup with a bunch of Meyer's powered speakers that covered a room of around 1500 people.... all powered speakers.

Of course, I suspect that if you can afford 6 Meyer UPA-1A's and 4 of their front fills (can't remember the model number), then you have enough money to have it setup well too ;)

Along this same line, digital mixers are blazing the trail the same way on the instrument rack.  I am looking at replacing my Allen&Heath MixWiz and a 16 space rack full of gear with a Presonus Studio Live 16.4.2.

The last few years have been a HUGE step forward for we musicians that don't have a sound team to do everything for us ;)  Powered speakers are a definite step up today.  You should go to your local GC and check out what they can do for yourself.

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
    • Global Moderator
    • From The Great Pocono Northeast
    « Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »

Let me put it this way...

The SM58 is not the best mic in the world.

Except, of course, for those times when it is.
    « Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:42:43 PM by Dave Dermont »
    Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Randall Hyde

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 04:03:46 PM »

Advantages of active:
    -No amp rack.
    -Some jobs can be done without even needing a mixer.
    -Very often there is no cooling fan.
    -Much more modular:  3 monitors or 7 today?  Just bring the correct amout of speakers!
    -Whatever EQ and other selections you have on the back of each speaker, you have for each speaker.
    -Endless "daisy chaining".

I would add:

-Extremely short speaker cables (internal to the cabinet) which helps greatly with damping factor issues.

That said, I use passive because I like the modularity.
    OTOH, it would also be nice to simply grab some gear out of stock and do a show without having to unrack amplifiers or take a bunch of extra gear (space, weight, and possible need at a concurrent gig).
    I may seriously consider active components with my next equipment go-around.
    cheers,
    Randy Hyde

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
      • Resotune
    « Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »

I can answer that ..... NO ;)  I am not a big 58 fan (awaits the rain of criticism for my blasphemy)
    SM58 is very popular for several reasons, one that it is a known entity, and nobody likes surprises (like unexpected feedback problems).
    To the OP,

Another poster said that powered speakers are relatively new ..... I disagree.  They have been around for around a decade ..... but I would clarify.

Good MI grade powered speakers are relatively new.  In fact, I would say that only within the last 3 years have we seen the rise of the powered FOH option for anyone that cares how they sound. 

It is a bit silly to ask individuals who mainly have their personal anecdotal experience what is more popular... a better question would be what do they use or prefer.
    -------
    Powered speakers have indeed been around for decades, but have generally been considered an awkward (heavy) specialized (more expensive) solution. This is often more perception than reality when considering full system costs (and weight), but consumers often make purchase decisions based on individual component price points, especially for incremental system upgrades.

The technology advancements that promise to neutralize some of the largest negatives to powered speakers (weight & price point) are only relatively recently hitting the market in cost effective reliable offerings.

i think we are still in the early days for powered speakers, while there will be much inertia especially from older sound engineers comfortable with the old way they learned on.   

JR
    Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »

I think that the future belongs to powered FOH rigs.  Combining the amp, processing and speaker into a single package allows a superior sounding rig, a lighter rig, and a rig that is easier to setup.  It is also a more reliable rig since the protection is built into the package.  Top all this off with the lower price (for the package) and you have a real winner.

All of this hasn't escaped the OEM's either.  Pretty much every major speaker manufacturer now has a decent lineup of powered speakers.

As far as quality goes, you can get that too.  Just take a listen to a pair of Meyer UPA-1A's over their powered subs.

It is hard for me to see where the passive speaker market is going to have any advantages in the future.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
      • Daniela Weaver Photography
    « Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »

It is hard for me to see where the passive speaker market is going to have any advantages in the future.

I don' t know about you, But I still have to do a fair amount of outdoor gigs that get rained on.

Another poster said that powered speakers are relatively new ..... I disagree.  They have been around for around a decade ...

The first patent for a loudspeaker is from 1877. The first commercially available loudspeaker was invented in 1924 and sold to the public beginning in 1926.

So yes, relatively speaking, internally powered and processed speakers are a new thing.

FWIW, at my last full time job I used an Altec Lansing system that was installed in the mid 60's and is still running strong today. It is a full-sized VOTT setup in a LCR above the proscenium arch of the stage with HF horns arrayed to properly cover the venue from front to rear. The entire main PA in this 2500 seat venue is powered by 3 crown K1 amps. Channel one for lows and Channel 2 for Hi's x's 3.
    Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »

@Tim Weaver,
    I don' t know about you, But I still have to do a fair amount of outdoor gigs that get rained on.

Not too many ;)  I get your point though. 

Some of the powered speakers are really not suitable to getting rain on them (QSC with their fan design comes to mind).  Others are sealed (JBL, Yamaha, etc) and should do alright under moderate wet conditions.

Personally, I would not be all that pleased if I had a pair of good passives (SRX, Meyer, etc) out in the rain.  That can't be good for the woofer ;)

Of course, the woofer on a powered speaker would be equally in danger.

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
    « Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 12:45:41 PM »

...a lighter rig...

I get what you are saying when it comes to total weight in the truck but the boxes themselves are heavier. Something to consider if you fly your rig often. Take a Vertec 4889 for example, the powered box is 205 lbs while the unpowered is 160, now hang 12 of them a side and do the math.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 12:45:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.