ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please email me when in stock  (Read 3979 times)

Dave Potter

Please email me when in stock
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »

Sometimes this forum costs me money. A couple of weeks ago someone posted about small powered mixers.  A couple of days later the amp I use for small shows  and presentations died of old age so I started looking.  Not that I NEED anything yet, and I can wait to spend the money until the need arises, but I looked, decided and went looking for the best price.

I found some very good prices but those stores were our of stock.  I looked at the low priced and the mid priced stores and they were out of stock too.  The high priced stores had them though.  Then I looked at the alternative products and found the same is true.  You might think that it is obvious that the low price stores would run out first, but if you really think about it, surely the low price box movers would be the most likely to depend on a huge stock of low price boxes.  Then I remember a telephone conversation with a computer shop some years ago :
me:  " do you have the XY graphics card in stock?"
shop: " yes we have.  Its £60
me " £60 ???  Jones sell it for £45."
Shop; "Why don't you buy it from Jones'?"
Me: "They don't have any."
Shop: " Well sir.  We have lots of low prices on goods that we don't sell too"

Is this a new trend?  Are shops just dropping prices of goods they don't stock just to make the other shops look high priced?

Matt Martin

Re: Please email me when in stock
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »

Sometimes you have to pay shipping on non-inventory items. It may be worth the little extra money to just get it at a place that has it??

I know this is kinda off-topic of the direction you were going, but still my .02
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »

You might think that it is obvious that the low price stores would run out first, but if you really think about it, surely the low price box movers would be the most likely to depend on a huge stock of low price boxes.
Inventory costs money.  You have to pay the manufacturer for the product, ship it to you, have a warehouse to store it in, have people to unpack it and store it, insure the warehouse and contents, pay taxes on inventory, have people to find it and ship it out, keep records of what comes in and out, etc.  And whatever you don't sell quickly sits there, still costing you more all the time.  One way to lower the sales price without reducing profit is to try to reduce these overhead costs per unit by spreading them across a larger volume of units (and hopefully also getting preferential pricing as a result of that volume) and minimizing the time any item spends sitting in inventory.  But another approach is to simply eliminate those overhead costs entirely.  Thus even a seemingly large online retailer may little or no inventory and may even be somebody working from home.  Many online retailers have very little, if any, actual inventory and instead order the products as they sell them. 

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »

Sometimes this forum costs me money. A couple of weeks ago someone posted about small powered mixers.  A couple of days later the amp I use for small shows  and presentations died of old age so I started looking.  Not that I NEED anything yet, and I can wait to spend the money until the need arises, but I looked, decided and went looking for the best price.

I found some very good prices but those stores were our of stock.  I looked at the low priced and the mid priced stores and they were out of stock too.  The high priced stores had them though.  Then I looked at the alternative products and found the same is true. 

Hello,

With all respect...how did this Forum cost you money?

You wrote that your amp died. You also wrote that you didn't need the amp and that you could "wait to spend the money until the need arises".   So...since you didn't spend any money, no matter what the prices you were quoted..... how did this site cost you money? 

Although there are bait-and-switch schemes by sellers of Audio gear, especially retail, if you're not in any immediate need for a specific product...what's your concern?

Talk to the Management of these sellers of Audio gear. Tell them to call you when the particular product is available at the price they quoted, and that you'll be down to make the purchase.

I hope these silly games don't stop you from a paying gig, if so....pay a few more dollars, get the higher priced gear and then find a respectful supplier of gear.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »

The guys with the higher prices are the ones who actually retail, merchandise and support the industry. This is why they have stock. The ones with the lowest prices are internet whores who sell everything from shoes to diet drinks and dont give a rats arse if the manufacturer is there next week or not. How about buying from a local supplier with a legitimate business where you can get any support you may need in the future?

Dave Potter

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »

Talk to the Management of these sellers of Audio gear. Tell them to call you when the particular product is available at the price they quoted, and that you'll be down to make the purchase.
Actually, I did fill out a "contact me when its in stock" form but I'm still waiting.

I think that most of you missed my point.  I agree with all of you.  Its not that I'm complaining about the price.  Just noting that all these sites seem to be playing games with each other and us!!

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »

Actually, I did fill out a "contact me when its in stock" form but I'm still waiting.

I think that most of you missed my point.  I agree with all of you.  Its not that I'm complaining about the price.  Just noting that all these sites seem to be playing games with each other and us!!

Hello,

I make certain that I get what I want.   8)

Cheers,
  Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.