ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid priced wedge recommendations for a busy club?  (Read 4089 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Mid priced wedge recommendations for a busy club?
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

Looking for new wedges for a club and wonder if you guys might suggest some I might not have though of. Old or new doesn't matter. We've got a bunch of old JBL MR stuff we're sick of so most good newer wedges will be a significant step up. Was looking at passive unpowered stuff mainly but also considering some of the better powered boxes. I am worried about exposed control panels and AC cables on powered boxes as our stage is just about waste level and show goers frequently sit and spill drinks on the stage. Never had any downstage gear unplugged thus far but it's always possible. Need to avoid un-rider friendly names.

They will occasionally be used as crowd fills.

They'll be punished from time to time by bad engineers, screamers and drunk bands.

They will need to sound good fairly loud but don't have to throw across a large outdoor stage.

Small profile is a plus.

Horns that can be mirrored is a plus.

Stuff I'm considering:

EAW  SM129/159
Old Radian Microwedge
Turbosound Milan
SRX712M
Thought about the JBL PRX's for a second.

Anything suggestions?

Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Re: Mid priced wedge recommendations for a busy club?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:36:12 PM »

Gonna look into some FBT wedges too. They look real attractive but I'm not going to be able to audition them I suspect.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »

Gonna look into some FBT wedges too. They look real attractive but I'm not going to be able to audition them I suspect.

Two more options for you to consider:

I have the new FBT Mitus 210MA dual 10" floor monitor on hand for evaluation.  With some slight tweaking I think it makes a pretty potent compact monitor.

I also have a customer who just evaluated and ordered the RCF NX12-SMA monitors.  These sound like they're quite the hot commodity right now as RCF USA can't keep them in stock!

Jeff

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »

Looking for new wedges for a club and wonder if you guys might suggest some I might not have though of. Old or new doesn't matter. We've got a bunch of old JBL MR stuff we're sick of so most good newer wedges will be a significant step up. Was looking at passive unpowered stuff mainly but also considering some of the better powered boxes. I am worried about exposed control panels and AC cables on powered boxes as our stage is just about waste level and show goers frequently sit and spill drinks on the stage. Never had any downstage gear unplugged thus far but it's always possible. Need to avoid un-rider friendly names.

They will occasionally be used as crowd fills.

They'll be punished from time to time by bad engineers, screamers and drunk bands.

They will need to sound good fairly loud but don't have to throw across a large outdoor stage.

Small profile is a plus.

Horns that can be mirrored is a plus.

Stuff I'm considering:

EAW  SM129/159
Old Radian Microwedge
Turbosound Milan
SRX712M
Thought about the JBL PRX's for a second.

Anything suggestions?

The Yorkville EM378 is a very good wedge. It's biampable, in case you ever want to go that route, has a 2" horn, and is very sturdy. It's not available in mirror image pairs. A big (now closed) area club had these. Rider acceptance was never an issue, and they were used for acts ranging from The Black Eyed Peas to Ted Nugent.

For something similar that you CAN get in mirror image pairs is the Peavey QW. These also have the added advantage of Peavey's field serviceable components, which are relatively easy and inexpensive to keep good as new.

These guys may cause some rider issues, which is kind of a shame, since they really are a smokin' wedge for the money.

Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »

Two more options for you to consider:

I have the new FBT Mitus 210MA dual 10" floor monitor on hand for evaluation.  With some slight tweaking I think it makes a pretty potent compact monitor.

I also have a customer who just evaluated and ordered the RCF NX12-SMA monitors.  These sound like they're quite the hot commodity right now as RCF USA can't keep them in stock!

Jeff

Hows the low end on that 210 Jeff? I've liked other 210 wedges I've heard but I'm always worried about the "more kick and bass" requests in downstage wedges. I hear it quite often even though we've got a shallow stage and the backline is sometimes closer to the muso then the wedges are.  :-\

Those RCF's do look like a nice wedge! Are they plastic boxes? I'm not a fan of plastic boxes but I like everything else.

The Yorkville EM378 is a very good wedge. It's biampable, in case you ever want to go that route, has a 2" horn, and is very sturdy. It's not available in mirror image pairs. A big (now closed) area club had these. Rider acceptance was never an issue, and they were used for acts ranging from The Black Eyed Peas to Ted Nugent.

For something similar that you CAN get in mirror image pairs is the Peavey QW. These also have the added advantage of Peavey's field serviceable components, which are relatively easy and inexpensive to keep good as new.

These guys may cause some rider issues, which is kind of a shame, since they really are a smokin' wedge for the money.

I've heard and like both of those wedges. I hate the rat fur on the Yorkies though. It would be covered in beer in the first couple weeks.

Since we don't use sidefills on our stage you guys think a quality 12" like the Radians would make most muso's happy downstage? It's been a while since I worked with a quality 12" wedge but I think so. Especially with good processing. Or maybe I'm too optimistic? Our stage is about 13' deep at it's deepest point, indoors with low ceilings (8' from stage to rafters.)

Here's a pic of the funky place:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is from several years ago before we put in the new boxes. You can see the old hang in the top right corner. New hang is a bit closer in and the subs are on their sides giving a little more spill on stage which helps.

Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:23:06 PM »

The Mitus 210MA's can produce a respectable amount of low end.  They're worth trying out.  Remember that dual 10" cones have more surface area than any 12".

The RCF NX series are birch cabinets.  There's also a co-axial 15" in the line.

Jeff

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:08 AM »

The Mitus 210MA's can produce a respectable amount of low end.  They're worth trying out.  Remember that dual 10" cones have more surface area than any 12".

The RCF NX series are birch cabinets.  There's also a co-axial 15" in the line.

Jeff

Very good point Jeff. Thanks for the info!
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:08 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.