ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with concept of sending tone to video deck  (Read 2010 times)

Chris Gentry

Help with concept of sending tone to video deck
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »

Can someone walk me through this, please?

I understand that I'm wanting to match +4dBu to around -20db on the DV deck. I'm putting a cd with 1kHz tone into one of the mix channels, setting fader to unity, running the gain up until I'm at 0 on the meter, metering a post aux send until it's at 0 and then setting the input on the deck at -20db. Am I barking up the right tree?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:44:50 PM by Chris Gentry »

Steve Ferreira

Re: Help with concept of sending tone to video deck
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »

Analog or digital meters?

Chris Gentry

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »

Analog or digital meters?

I mostly work with analog boards and digital record devices, i.e. Sony DV deck and portable audio recorders like the Zoom H4. Then there's the occasional broadcast feed.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »

Can someone walk me through this, please?

I understand that I'm wanting to match +4dBu to around -20db on the DV deck. I'm putting a cd with 1kHz tone into one of the mix channels, setting fader to unity, running the gain up until I'm at 0 on the meter, metering a post aux send until it's at 0 and then setting the input on the deck at -20db. Am I barking up the right tree?

Thanks!

Most pro gear is designed for line level signals to have a nominal level of +4dBu. On most analog consoles with analog VU meters this is usually 0VU. That means that when the meter reads "0" the output is +4dBu. On modern digital gear, like the Sony digital recorders the nominal operating level is still +4dBu, but the metering is different. On most digital gear (not all) "0" is really 0dBfs, which is the maximum level you can define with number of bits being used. On most pro gear this translates to an analog level of +24dBu, so to set your level for +4dBu you need to be 20dB down from 0dBfs, or -20 on the meters.

There are digital consoles that do not follow this standard, and there are analog consoles that do not follow this standard. You need to know what the standard is for your console, and the gear it is interfacing with.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 26 queries.