ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help with an internet radio station setup  (Read 2403 times)

keith brooks

• olivebranchonline
Need Help with an internet radio station setup
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:08:07 PM »

Greetings.
Setting up an internet radio station and have a question regarding my rig.  Im based on a Yamaha o1v.  Using a Dell Inspiron 9200 for Skype call-ins and music utilizing the 3.5mm Jack to Linked Tracks 9&10.  Also using a brand new MacBook Pro for Live Streaming.  I have a Presonus Firebox for interfacing duties that Firewire's to the MacBook Pro.  Using three Cardoid Mics (one Audio Technica and two Sterlings) for speaking and two standard voice mics for live music.  Also want the ability to plug in a guitar or other acoustic instruments. 

My question is this.  I have done a little reading in the manual about the output capacity of the o1v and understand the versatility of the Omni outs, however Im a little unsure which channels to send seperate from the mix and which ones to combine using the Aux outs or even the Bus outs.  The reason I say combine is because the Firebox only has 4 digital in's that I can use (there are actually six but two are spdif in's that I don't know how to utilize using the o1v). 

Im new to the forum so pardon me if I'm not quite sure if I have included all the necessary information.

Thanks for the help.

K.Brooks

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
Re: Need Help with an internet radio station setup
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »

Greetings.
Setting up an internet radio station and have a question regarding my rig.  Im based on a Yamaha o1v.  Using a Dell Inspiron 9200 for Skype call-ins and music utilizing the 3.5mm Jack to Linked Tracks 9&10.  Also using a brand new MacBook Pro for Live Streaming.  I have a Presonus Firebox for interfacing duties that Firewire's to the MacBook Pro.  Using three Cardoid Mics (one Audio Technica and two Sterlings) for speaking and two standard voice mics for live music.  Also want the ability to plug in a guitar or other acoustic instruments. 

My question is this.  I have done a little reading in the manual about the output capacity of the o1v and understand the versatility of the Omni outs, however Im a little unsure which channels to send seperate from the mix and which ones to combine using the Aux outs or even the Bus outs.  The reason I say combine is because the Firebox only has 4 digital in's that I can use (there are actually six but two are spdif in's that I don't know how to utilize using the o1v). 

Im new to the forum so pardon me if I'm not quite sure if I have included all the necessary information.

Thanks for the help.

K.Brooks
Hi, Keith,

First, good luck with the station!

Second, a little clarification on your hardware.  Unless there's another model I'm unaware of, the Firebox, in fact, only has the SPDIF digital I/O; the other I/O is all analog.  However...the 2TR-DIGITAL-I/O on the back of the 01V is also SPDIF (the Omni Outs are all analog).  So you're good there.  It also has MIDI I/O; as you get further into your research, you might find that useful...as you could then use your macbook to remotely control the 01V across MIDI.

My understanding from your description is that you are using the 01V as your primary mixer, and that all of your microphones, and your PC, are tied to the O1V.  The Macbook is used purely for streaming.  Is this correct?

This would seem to me to be the best layout, even if it's not correct.  I'm not sure why you would want to send multiple streams to the Macbook.  You have a mixer; use it as such.  I'm not hugely familiar with the 01V, but I would imagine you can assign whatever you want to the 2TR OUT.  I would assign my main L/R to that, slap on a pair of headphones, and be done with it.  I'm really not sure what the purpose of sending multiple streams to the macbook would be.

Should you be playing music off the Macbook as well, I believe the Presonus Firebox Mixer allows you to merge both the 2TR with other Inputs as a single output (which you would then take into your streaming software as its source for audio), however I'm not sure that internal music is an option.  Your better bet, anyway, would be to have another computer for music jacked into the 01V.  I'd buy a used POS for this purpose...you should be able to get a pair complete with LCD monitors for under $500.

HTH!

keith brooks

• olivebranchonline
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »

Hi, Keith,

First, good luck with the station!

Thanks a bunch!

Second, a little clarification on your hardware.  Unless there's another model I'm unaware of, the Firebox, in fact, only has the SPDIF digital I/O; the other I/O is all analog.  However...the 2TR-DIGITAL-I/O on the back of the 01V is also SPDIF (the Omni Outs are all analog).  So you're good there.  It also has MIDI I/O; as you get further into your research, you might find that useful...as you could then use your macbook to remotely control the 01V across MIDI.

You would be correct on the Firebox.  Not good with all the verbage yet.  Still trying to get my head around the purposes for all the different in's and out's.  Digital I/O allows me to send a full mix or individual channels straight to the macbook without the firebox or does it allow a conversion to spdif which is then sent via firewire on the firebox to the mac?

My understanding from your description is that you are using the 01V as your primary mixer, and that all of your microphones, and your PC, are tied to the O1V.  The Macbook is used purely for streaming.  Is this correct?

yes.  This is correct.  The firebox is currently my interface for the mac to o1v connection.

This would seem to me to be the best layout, even if it's not correct.  I'm not sure why you would want to send multiple streams to the Macbook.  You have a mixer; use it as such.  I'm not hugely familiar with the 01V, but I would imagine you can assign whatever you want to the 2TR OUT.  I would assign my main L/R to that, slap on a pair of headphones, and be done with it.  I'm really not sure what the purpose of sending multiple streams to the macbook would be.

The reason for this was my perhaps ignorance in understanding how to set up for actual recording using Adobe Audition.  We have to make commercials, lead in's and such and Audition has come highly recommended by various radio station managers that we have been doing radio with in the last two years. I guess, though, by your statements thus far, I am perhaps dealing with overkill and can use the mac to control the board and import a stereo mix via the 2TR OUT. Am I thinking correct?  This would mean what?, that I can find a spdif cable with a digital out on the other side that would go to the firebox and then both the streaming software and Audition would be getting the stereo mix?  This brings me to another question.  How do I control the board with the mac?  Do I need more cables, interfaces, software? Or am I already there and am just unwittingly sitting on the power switch?

Should you be playing music off the Macbook as well, I believe the Presonus Firebox Mixer allows you to merge both the 2TR with other Inputs as a single output (which you would then take into your streaming software as its source for audio), however I'm not sure that internal music is an option.  Your better bet, anyway, would be to have another computer for music jacked into the 01V.  I'd buy a used POS for this purpose...you should be able to get a pair complete with LCD monitors for under $500.

I actually mentioned that I am using an old Dell Inspirion 9200 for Skype and music. All radio stations run like you mentioned with two or even three back up computers and even dvd players with hours of backup content.  However we are talking about only around 15 hours of programming a month at this point so we are not yet talking major needs on this issue.  Anyway, yes I'm thinking as you have mentioned in this area. 

Greatly appreciate your investment.
kbrooks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.