ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coaxial wedges.. which ones do we like?  (Read 19263 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: Coaxial wedges.. which ones do we like?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »

I'm curious why no manufacturer has hit it out of the park on price point for a quality coaxial wedge yet. I guess the form factor isn't that popular. Or perhaps it's a cost/performance decision.

I'm hesitant about anything but a 15" or high performance 12" wedge as It needs to handle a moderate amount of kick on a crowded loud stage for shows where a wedge is preferred over a large unsightly drum fill. As well some musos request kick in down stage wedges out of habit even in our smaller venue and I'd rather it have some punch to avoid working a smaller wedge too hard. Or am I off base here? I'd just buy several of each but I don't like swapping wedges in the middle of a sound check because somebody is complaining about the low end of a 12" wedge. Even though proximity effect creates unnatural punch/mud in male vox people get used to it and ask for it all the time. Then out come the 15"s even for singer songwriters.

I'm thinking at the moment that the advantages to having some built are gonna be marginal to non-existent unless we really do it on the cheap. And at that point well be investing in wedges we've never heard. I've heard several cheaper DIY coaxials and none of them where outstanding though they where probably worth what was spent. Anybody had any experience with outstanding DIY cheaper coaxes? Ever heard a $500 coax that sounded great?

We may have to head back to a tried and true conventional wedge.

As much as I like the sound and form factor of coaxials we may wind up with conventional 2 ways.

Bottom line, there aren't as many offerings in raw coaxial drivers as there are separates.  I can name most of the models on both my hands. 
That said, there has been a nice push into the coaxial driver design of late, and some nice drivers are available.  They aren't cheap, but I like the sound characteristic.  So does Dave Rat and a handful of others-on stage, short of IEM's, I think they are better suited to the task than separates.  One of the design goals with our design is Curtis' dedication to producing a well behaved crossover, enhancing that articulation needed in a monitor.  I've used them in rock situations, on drummers too-I am not claiming they are made for this situation as the norm, but they have done acceptably well.  We have been tossing around the idea of making a drum throne/stand subwoofer to go under the wedge for more serious drum monitoring duty.
I quoted pricing to you via pm, and know where we sit v. the Microwedge.  I would never recommend buying "sound unseen", and would certainly entertain visiting you for a demo.

Last, I'm not going to even try and compete with lower price offerings-there just isn't any reason, economies of scale and all that.

Best regards,

John

[email protected]

• Finland, Uusimaa
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 07:06:45 AM »

I have no idea how Dynacord is sitting on a price range in USA, but I just love the CXM-15 boxes they have.

Go and see some more of my feelings here : http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/53599/0/16/0/

fwiw,
-Minka-
95% of touring is work, and if you're lucky that 5% of the time is working with gear that are in good shape and according to rider...

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 04:15:30 PM »

I'm thinking at the moment that the advantages to having some built are gonna be marginal to non-existent unless we really do it on the cheap. And at that point well be investing in wedges we've never heard. I've heard several cheaper DIY coaxials and none of them where outstanding though they where probably worth what was spent.

Marsellus, where are you located?  The coax project I'm involved in (Tim mentioned it) is planning to have pretty stout LF response and light weight in a fairly small form factor.  If you're somewhere in the US, we could probably arrange to have you as a beta tester if you're interested.  The project still requires futher discussion of parameters, so feel free to share your thoughts if it interests you at all.  I'm not sure what your timeframe is for purchase or build, but if you can wait a bit longer, the result should be pretty HQ.

Eric Hermle

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 11:47:30 PM »

I'm curious why no manufacturer has hit it out of the park on price point for a quality coaxial wedge yet. I guess the form factor isn't that popular. Or perhaps it's a cost/performance decision.

I'm hesitant about anything but a 15" or high performance 12" wedge as It needs to handle a moderate amount of kick on a crowded loud stage for shows where a wedge is preferred over a large unsightly drum fill. As well some musos request kick in down stage wedges out of habit even in our smaller venue and I'd rather it have some punch to avoid working a smaller wedge too hard. Or am I off base here? I'd just buy several of each but I don't like swapping wedges in the middle of a sound check because somebody is complaining about the low end of a 12" wedge. Even though proximity effect creates unnatural punch/mud in male vox people get used to it and ask for it all the time. Then out come the 15"s even for singer songwriters.

I'm thinking at the moment that the advantages to having some built are gonna be marginal to non-existent unless we really do it on the cheap. And at that point well be investing in wedges we've never heard. I've heard several cheaper DIY coaxials and none of them where outstanding though they where probably worth what was spent. Anybody had any experience with outstanding DIY cheaper coaxes? Ever heard a $500 coax that sounded great?

We may have to head back to a tried and true conventional wedge.

As much as I like the sound and form factor of coaxials we may wind up with conventional 2 ways.

Have you looked at the Carvin offering?  I know Carvin has a less than stellar rep. and you'd either have to visit one of their stores or pay for UPS out (and back if you didn't like the sound/build of it), but dang that's a budget price.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=TRX12N

Just a thought,
Eric

Jon Pusey

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »

I really like the RCFTT25a. Gets loud enough, is lightweight. Also has a polemount if you need to use it in other applications. Don't think it counts as cheap though.

Shane Smith

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »

RCF are onto a winner with the TT25-SMA it really is a great sounding wedge in a tiny footprint for a 15".

I looked long and hard at the Dynacord CXM15, love the size and spec but in the end it would have costed the same as the RCF and I would have still needed to add on amplification. The TT was a much better investment, being powered n' all.

Always really liked the SRX712M as a Vocal wedge but the amplifier power it demands is just crazy. 800W RMS / 1600W Program is too rich for me. I'd say if JBL were to make an updated box, that sounded as good, in the 400-500W RMS region it would sell like hotcakes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.