ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Services - CD Recorder Faulty, Repair, Replace or....???  (Read 7238 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Recording Services - CD Recorder Faulty, Repair, Replace or....???
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 01:18:27 am »

A word of caution about "consumer-grade" CD recorders: many of them require you to use "Music CD-R". The only difference is that you pay more for "Music CD-R" so that the record companies get a bit of royalty for all those CDs they figure you're going to copy. Don't be fooled into thinking that Music CD-R is better quality; they aren't. The JVC/Taiyo Yuden are frequently considered the best available.

I must correct myself. Many of the consumer-grade (home theater) CD recorders do require specical "Music CD-Rs" BUT I was incorrect in my description of them.

Consumer-grade CD recorders observe the "Serial Copy Management System" (SCMS for short). This system allows you to copy a CD (printed or burned) onto an SCMS-encoded blank CD, but will not allow you to create another copy from the SCMS-encoded copy (copy-of-a-copy). SCMS-enabled recorders will only burn onto SCMS-encoded blanks.

I've read that many of the "Music CD-Rs" you can buy at the big-box are no longer encoded with SCMS. I don't know what the difference between them and regular CD-Rs are, but I suspect there is none. A quick Google search revealed very few online retailers that specifically mention SCMS in their product pages.

With the ubiquity of digital media and the ease of burning CDs on a computer, it appears the powers behind SCMS have essentially given up their fight to prevent copyright infringement. If you are having trouble with an SCMS recorder, your best bet is probably to pitch it in the nearest dumpster.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Recording Services - CD Recorder Faulty, Repair, Replace or....???
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 01:18:27 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.