ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CL truth in advertising  (Read 5705 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: CL truth in advertising
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »

Yeah, but how many times have kids asked for advice here about how to get into the business and they've been advised to work for free (pushing cases, sweeping floors, etc.) just to get their foot in door and show that they are serious?

I have offered the above advice on many occasions, but it has never been with the understanding that someone, even a n00b, would work for free. A lower wage, or fewer benefits, yes, but work is work in my book and should be paid. Also, most of the time I have advised people to seek entry level employment opportunities through the IATSE call list in their area. No one on the IATSE payroll works for free. Period.

Free or volunteer work is what school is for (and maybe church). If you are working on a production in a professional environment, you should be paid, no matter what your level of experience is. Companies and job heads who say that you have to work for free to prove you are capable/worth keeping/serious about the work are the scum of the earth and promote nothing other than slavery.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:28:21 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

For anyone trying to play the intern card. I present the government rules

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.pdf

I owned a business that employed over 100 people and understand employment law at least as well as the average bear and I have to ask:

Has there ever, in the history of any company, anywhere, ever, been an intern program that did not violate term number 4? 

4.   The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;

I understand why it's written that way, but in reality, if an intern is actually learning and interacting on a daily basis, they will cause immediate benefit to/for the organization from time to time whether it's intentional or not.

Hello,

Some specialty fields...like Diamond cutting.... there is no immediate benefit to the organization because the intern/trainee would need to be constantly supervised by a trained diamond cutter.  If he messes up, it costs the company money in lost product.

I'm sure there's others...   ;D

Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.