ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best alternative to SM58?  (Read 42835 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Best alternative to SM58?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »

but I can only do so much with our Mackie VLZ board and it's single swept mid band.

I think I see your problem......

Look for a used MixWiz.  You can get one for the cost of 3-4 replacement mics.

Actually, a larger selection of microphones along with enough experience to know which ones to use where can lower the need for input channel equalization.

I agree about the mic/input quality.  I refer more to what you do to build a mix with your choice of input devices.  The limitations of the VZ channel strip EQ kind of cramps whatever mics you have in the mix.

A lot of the alternatives mentioned are tighter patterns than the 58, so that brings mic technique into play as well.  I have a lot of alternatives to the 58's in my mic locker, but it really depends on the person using them as to whether they will work or not.......

Shure SM58, the LCD of dynamic mics:  Lowest Common Denominator

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:56:21 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »

Agreed! 58s are the least of your problem, you may just need to clean the grilles anyway.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »

Agreed! 58s are the least of your problem, you may just need to clean the grilles anyway.

You know, back when my house gig had a 56 channel PM-3500 and nothing but SM 57s and 58s, I had very little want or need for more console, but a bigger selection of mics would have been nice.

Yeah, yeah... I guess I could have complained that I did not have a Midas H-3000, but I'm a reasonable guy.

When I go into a room with traditionally crappy installation that has a Peavey or Mackie, or Behringer mixer with a couple dead channels and an intermittent Aux send, and the best mic in the box is the one with the $19.95 Music-Go-Round price sticker still on it, a couple real microphones (including SM57s and 58s) is what's gonna make a difference at that gig on that night with the smallest amount of effort and/or resistance from the house crew (which is usually one guy, who also tends bar on Tuesdays and Wednesdays)

When money is tight, and your looking for the best bang for the buck, an addition to the mic box is always worth considering.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Also, the next time you see a used Mix Wiz (that really works) selling for the price of three SM58s, please let me know.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »

the next time you see a used Mix Wiz (that really works) selling for the price of three SM58s, please let me know.

Dave.....

Send me a PM if you're interested.  I know a guy who has a gently used original model (no FX) for a VERY reasonable price.

DR

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 09:19:17 PM »

the next time you see a used Mix Wiz (that really works) selling for the price of three SM58s, please let me know.

Dave.....

Send me a PM if you're interested.  I know a guy who has a gently used original model (no FX) for a VERY reasonable price.

DR

I don't really "need" another mixer, but you never know...

Thanks!
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

Dave.....

DR

I don't really "need" another mixer, but you never know...

Thanks!

Never mind......

Greg Harwood

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »

Give the EV PL80 a try.  It's a great sounding mic.
Greg H.

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »

I've used the Sennheiser e835 extensively, and it's a nice option at its price range; I like it significantly better than the SM58.  We recently switched most of our vocal mics over to the e865 though; it's a significant improvement above the e835 both in sound quality and coverage pattern.  Neither one has the durability of an SM58 (the e865 is a condenser), but as long as you don't abuse them, they'll work great.

The e865 sounds noticeably better than either the SM58 or the e835 (in my experience), and has much better GBF and stage bleed rejection, but it does have a somewhat higher price tag.

I have also been impressed with Shure's SM86 and SM87 under the right circumstances.

I don't have any experience with the Heil stuff, although I hear mostly very good things about them here.

Robert Patch

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 01:06:45 PM »

Even in my limited experience, some people sound better on an SM58 and some sound better on an e945 and some sound better on a PR-35.  It's nice to have and get to know a variety of mics. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »

Even in my limited experience, some people sound better on an SM58 and some sound better on an e945 and some sound better on a PR-35.  It's nice to have and get to know a variety of mics.

This brings us to the problem of the "artist" preferring a particular mic no matter how it sounds.........

I once had a reggae artist keep refusing the mics I would hand him and going back to the wireless mic he had brought even though it had STOPPED WORKING!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:38:45 PM by dick rees »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.