ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best alternative to SM58?  (Read 42825 times)

ThomasKielhofner

• Springfield, MO
Best alternative to SM58?
« on: April 24, 2011, 02:40:45 AM »

I've searched this on the old forums but only came up with topics about acceptable alternatives to meet riders.

I run sound at a smaller bar in town and we already have a stock of SM57/SM58. Bands that come through play blue grass, folk, classic country, and funk. What I don't like about the SM58 is the excessive proximity effect/nasally sound and lack of high end. I've found the old work horse is fine for most singers, but others not so much, which is why I'd like to have an alternative mic on hand. I do understand you will almost always need to use EQ (even with great mics), but I can only do so much with our Mackie VLZ board and it's single swept mid band.

I've already had the chance to listen to Beta 57, 58, and 87, Heil PR 30, and Senn. e838 that bands have brought in themselves. I like the PR30 but I was hoping to spend less and be able to buy 2-3 mics. The Sennheiser e838 sounded good to my ears, but I've never been able to listen to the e835 or e845 (which I'm interested in). What are your opinions on the sound of the e835 and e845 compared to the SM58? Do you have any other suggestions for reasonably priced better sounding mics? If there's nothing noticeably better than the SM58 in about the same price range I'd be willing to just pick up one mic in the $200-300 price range now and buy more later.

Thanks.

Thomas

Matt Martin

Re: Best alternative to SM58?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 02:58:38 AM »

I myself am replacing all of my 58s with Senns e845 mics. I find these to an awesome little mic, and as tough as Chuck Norris. I find them to have a very natural sound, giving me better results. I always take my 58s as well though, some people just sound better through them, but if I'm dealing with a new band, the e845 has never let me down!
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:06:54 AM »

I've been through the same decision making process and decided on the AKG D7. I'm really happy with them and it fits right into your budget. For even less the D5 is a good choice too.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »

but I can only do so much with our Mackie VLZ board and it's single swept mid band.

I think I see your problem......

Look for a used MixWiz.  You can get one for the cost of 3-4 replacement mics.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:00:41 AM »

I like the warmth and clarity of the EV ND767a; however, they also have a close pickup pattern.  This is typical of microphones that reject stage noise and provide higher gain before feedback.  It is usually considered a good thing ;)

Robert Patch

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »

AKG C535 is sort of the Swiss army knife all purpose condenser mic that will sound better than an SM58 in most situations.  You can find them used under $200.

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »

I have had a chance to try out many mics on vocals. Recently I am having a love affair with the Heil stuff. the PR35 is absolutely excellent! if you are looking to try something a little more affordable try the PR22. I just did a gig when i had access to a hand full of them and I was very pleasantly surprised with their performance on vocals and on snare drum. If you get the package they call the utility (I would call it normal) meaning it does not come with multi colored grills, it is only around $115.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »

If you are on a budget and want to try a great inexpensive mic that sounds better than an SM58, try a GLS ES58. You can get three of them for $90. They are my go to mic for most acoustic/bluegrass gigs.

Staying in the same price range as the SM58, you might try Sennheiser e835's.

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »

but I can only do so much with our Mackie VLZ board and it's single swept mid band.

Actually, a larger selection of microphones along with enough experience to know which ones to use where can lower the need for input channel equalization.

I am a firm believer in microphones being the best place to spend money. A good microphone will always be a good microphone.

The various "solutions" people place between the microphone and loudspeaker are all, to some degree, turd polish.

I'd consider the various flavors of Sennheiser and/or Audix. I've heard a lot of the e835 and the OM3, and they seem to be good alternatives to the SM58 for around the same cost.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

ThomasKielhofner

• Springfield, MO
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »

Actually, a larger selection of microphones along with enough experience to know which ones to use where can lower the need for input channel equalization.

I am a firm believer in microphones being the best place to spend money. A good microphone will always be a good microphone.

The various "solutions" people place between the microphone and loudspeaker are all, to some degree, turd polish.

I'd consider the various flavors of Sennheiser and/or Audix. I've heard a lot of the e835 and the OM3, and they seem to be good alternatives to the SM58 for around the same cost.

A new board is the next big upgrade, I'm just waiting on the bar to get the money together for a GL2400. I also believe good sound starts at the mic though, which is why I started this topic to get some opinions on different mics.  :) Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.