ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC K10s 'FOH' for small 8 piece band gigs  (Read 13041 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: QSC K10s 'FOH' for small 8 piece band gigs
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »

I'm curious - what does the number of inputs have to do with the choice of speakers?  The OP spec'd a crowd size of 100 ppl.  I am ASSuming that the OP will use some sort of mixer to feed the speakers; that is, he won't be using the multiple mic inputs available on some of the powered speakers.

gp

I think the assumption is that a larger band will be louder by itself on stage, and the PA will need to be louder to "overpower" the band.

GTD

Yes. Put some k10's up against a wild drummer and a 3 piece horn section and see how far you get.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »

With that band and 100 people, you're not going to put everything through the PA.

Kick, Snare, OH, Bass DI - forget it. the drums acoustically by themselves will be loud enough for that many people.

Use the K10's for vocals, keys and horns and you should be fine. I'd imagine unless you have a Princeton or a 5 watt Mini Z your guitar amp on its own will carry 100 people fine. Not even sure you'd need them for horns, although I have no experience playing with a horn section (though I want one for our band).

While you could buy a sub, try mixing with less inputs first and see how it goes with just 2 speakers on a stick.

Our band has 2 guitarists, bass, keys, drums and 3-4 vocalists; we usually just run vocals and keys through 2 QSC HPR122i's and manage the stage volume with the rest.

Rob Truesdell

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 01:03:35 AM »

Im probably sticking my foot in my mouth here but Im with Gary above. Why would a 12" woofer work better than a 10" at reproducing the amount of instruments or inputs?

Assuming that the OP is using subs and the crossover point is around 100hz. I understand that the K12 has a few more db's over the K10 and maybe the tighter coverage might project a bit better at a greater distance from the speakers or FOH, but will a 10" woofer struggle at 100hz more so than a 12" woofer? (within a normal output level)

Ive done a few weddings with up to around 250 waterbags with a pair of quality subs (SRX718 and VRX918SP) and a pair of FBT Maxx4a tops and had no issues what so ever with coverage or SPL needs. the FBT's has a max SPL output of 123db which is quite a bit less than the 127db's of the K10. (dont know if the K10's can run with the FBT's though, thats another thread)

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:24:01 AM »

Im probably sticking my foot in my mouth here but Im with Gary above. Why would a 12" woofer work better than a 10" at reproducing the amount of instruments or inputs?

Assuming that the OP is using subs and the crossover point is around 100hz. I understand that the K12 has a few more db's over the K10 and maybe the tighter coverage might project a bit better at a greater distance from the speakers or FOH, but will a 10" woofer struggle at 100hz more so than a 12" woofer? (within a normal output level)

Ive done a few weddings with up to around 250 waterbags with a pair of quality subs (SRX718 and VRX918SP) and a pair of FBT Maxx4a tops and had no issues what so ever with coverage or SPL needs. the FBT's has a max SPL output of 123db which is quite a bit less than the 127db's of the K10. (dont know if the K10's can run with the FBT's though, thats another thread)

My experience tells me that a 12" will be a lot clearer representing similar frequencies when a 10" may get overwhelmed trying to produce the lower mids where a lot of those instruments reside.

The lower extension of the K12 compared to the K10 will give you much better low mid representation and should give a bit more room to breath as the speaker will not have to move as much with fighting instruments.

I would get K10's now, shift them to monitors later when you buy maybe a pair of KW122's and some KW181's.

Also see if you can afford a pair of Yamaha DSR112's compared to the K10's. They are brillant speakers and are suprisingly cheap. A pair of them and two of their subs should be able to do your band with ease.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 07:14:48 AM »

With that band and 100 people, you're not going to put everything through the PA.

Kick, Snare, OH, Bass DI - forget it. the drums acoustically by themselves will be loud enough for that many people.

Use the K10's for vocals, keys and horns and you should be fine. I'd imagine unless you have a Princeton or a 5 watt Mini Z your guitar amp on its own will carry 100 people fine. Not even sure you'd need them for horns, although I have no experience playing with a horn section (though I want one for our band).

While you could buy a sub, try mixing with less inputs first and see how it goes with just 2 speakers on a stick.

Our band has 2 guitarists, bass, keys, drums and 3-4 vocalists; we usually just run vocals and keys through 2 QSC HPR122i's and manage the stage volume with the rest.

Hello,

I'd skip running the horns through the system too, they'll be plenty loud.   Keys and vocals through the system.

And...since it doesn't seem to matter because of the OP's budget.... I was talking about a much better/bigger upgrade.   Find some used 650's

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Rowan Smales

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 10:16:23 AM »

Ok guys thanks everyone for your help. Ive got a lot of thinking to do. It seems like the K10s might be a good idea for the short term (particularly for gigs without the horns) and I can upgrade as circumstances allow and then use them as monitors.

I'm probably going to open a WHOLE new can of worms here but im surprised by the general consensus of not putting kit/horns through the mix.

As I mentioned Im no pro tech - I never used to put them through the desk, until a number of techies I worked with on separate occasions advised micc-ing at least kick/snare so the sound is always coming from one place - even on small gigs. It seemed to make sense so Ive done it ever since. I never play with particularly loud bands.

Thoughts...?

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »

In all the gigs we've played in bars with 50-100 people, getting the kick and snare heard without being in the PA has never been an issue. Getting vocals heard usually is.

When you have a bigger venue, or have people running sound for you, then you can have the luxury of micing everything and mixing. If you're playing and mixing, the simpler it can be, the better.

I started the same way - running our bass player DI'd into the PA as well as his amp, D6 on kick, 906's on guitar amps. Quickly found that if we as a band balanced our overall levels, having just vocals and keyboard through the PA was a lot easier and sounded better. it also saved a lot of time on setup and stringing cable.

I like your idea of starting with the K10s and moving them to monitor duty as you upgrade; I may look at a pair for monitors as well.

Bob Lee

• RF Venue, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »

If you're choosing among the K8, K10, and K12 and will use them with a sub, then the main choice is what coverage angle you want. Wide, K8; narrower, K10, and narrowest, K12.
Bob Lee KN6PXS
Application Engineer / Trainer RF Venue
Fellow, Audio Engineering Society

"If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »

In all the gigs we've played in bars with 50-100 people, getting the kick and snare heard without being in the PA has never been an issue. Getting vocals heard usually is.

When you have a bigger venue, or have people running sound for you, then you can have the luxury of micing everything and mixing. If you're playing and mixing, the simpler it can be, the better.

I started the same way - running our bass player DI'd into the PA as well as his amp, D6 on kick, 906's on guitar amps. Quickly found that if we as a band balanced our overall levels, having just vocals and keyboard through the PA was a lot easier and sounded better. it also saved a lot of time on setup and stringing cable.

I like your idea of starting with the K10s and moving them to monitor duty as you upgrade; I may look at a pair for monitors as well.

This is the voice of reason and the best reply, based on experience, that I have read. All to aften people try to over engineer the solution. Unfortunately over engineering is the result of being miss informed. You don't need 135db to play a small club catering to 100-200 people. You need a well engineered solution based on the components on hand. Drums are a prime example. In the 60's we could play a room for 500-1000 people with just our amplifiers, a good PA using 12" columns, and maybe, just maybe a mic or two for the drums. Styles and times change without a doubt, but for christ sake, try and get a mix on stage before you worry about mics for every instrument on it.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.