ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Sound Board Opinions?  (Read 8644 times)

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Small Sound Board Opinions?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »

It seems that the general consensus is that the little Yamaha analogue board is actually really good!  It was pretty easy for the youth or I to get a good sound from it.  The one-knob compressors are neat, too and sound pretty good.  From what I gather, it seems if they don't allow the purchase of the 01V96, then we can just get the same board again...with a nice case to keep it from breaking.

The 01V96 would have been my suggestion, except that it would have gone considerably over your stated $1000 budget.  I also have an original 01V for small jobs, and it handles anything that doesn't exceed the channel count with ease.

Used 01V96s seem to be a rare commodity, and deals on them almost nonexistent.  It does say something about the utility of those consoles though.  Used 01Vs may be easier to find, and will cost a lot less.

Digital consoles frequently get a bad rap here when the intended users are not experienced.  I would disagree with that.  We've had an original 01V working in a broadcast booth for two years now (not ideal, but it was available).  Most, if not all, users have virtually no technical skills.  They move the faders to get the desired result, and leave the other settings alone.  If someone did manage to reconfigure things (it hasn't happened yet), it's a simple matter to recall the standard scene and you're back in the game.

GTD
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:34:31 PM by Geoff Doane »

Donnie Evans

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »

It took me forever to find what I considered a "deal" on a used 01v96.  People just don't get rid of them.  For the cost of most used units I've seen, it would make more sense to go ahead and spend a couple hundred extra and buy one new.  It's definitely a great board (although you will need an external pre-amp if you run short on inputs). 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:25 PM »

It took me forever to find what I considered a "deal" on a used 01v96.  People just don't get rid of them.  For the cost of most used units I've seen, it would make more sense to go ahead and spend a couple hundred extra and buy one new.  It's definitely a great board (although you will need an external pre-amp if you run short on inputs).

Before all the lemmings jump off the cliff here you should understand the O1V was actually designed as a recording interface vs. a live sound board. If your intent is to have, or if there are other people who will be using the board then you should consider that fact. The O1V and it's layers may not be the best bet for your needs. I'm not a fan of either the O1v or Presonus boards, but for about the same money I would think the Presonus board would be a prime consideration. It's easier to use, has almost as many features, and has a much more analog (familiar) look and feel to it. That all equates to a much smaller learning curve.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Donnie Evans

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »

Before all the lemmings jump off the cliff here you should understand the O1V was actually designed as a recording interface vs. a live sound board. If your intent is to have, or if there are other people who will be using the board then you should consider that fact. The O1V and it's layers may not be the best bet for your needs. I'm not a fan of either the O1v or Presonus boards, but for about the same money I would think the Presonus board would be a prime consideration. It's easier to use, has almost as many features, and has a much more analog (familiar) look and feel to it. That all equates to a much smaller learning curve.

Great points, Bob.  Very true that an analog board will be much simpler and probably save you many headaches if there could be several different sets of hands behind the console at any give time.  That said, my MixWiz and MG166CX are still for sale.   ;D

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:55 PM »

Bob's reply is the voice of reason!

Is the 01v what you desire, or what you really need? Has the original requirement changed, from usage with a small guitar and percussion group, to something bigger? If not, you would be better sticking with a good analogue board. Spend the remaining money on decent microphones. Find somewhere that will allow you to try before you buy.

Iain.

Doug Maye

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 10:10:19 AM »

01V for kids??? Get another MG series board and a good case. Much cheaper.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 10:17:40 PM »

You can get a used old-model MixWiz for as low as $400, or a used III for as low as $700.  That's what I'd buy if I did not have $1500 or more for a SL16 or an O1V95.  (Or maybe an O1V if the users were able to operate it.)

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »

You can get a used old-model MixWiz for as low as $400, or a used III for as low as $700.  That's what I'd buy if I did not have $1500 or more for a SL16 or an O1V95.  (Or maybe an O1V if the users were able to operate it.)

+1  Years ago, I had one of the Yamaha mixers, but outgrew it rather quickly. The on-board compression and effects were convenient, but the basic sound was lacking, and there weren't enough XLR inputs. For my money, at the time, a used Mixwiz was the best bang for the buck, and I've been very happy with it. The pre-amps are much better than the Yamaha's, and the analog interface makes the basic features easy to learn. If I were the only person running the board, a digital model may have won me over, but I find most analog boards more idiot-proof.
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.