ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with Roland V-piano  (Read 5387 times)

mark ahlenius

Experience with Roland V-piano
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »

Hi,

we recently got a Roland V-piano for our worship band.  Before this we had a medium size grand piano.  I am looking for advice from people who definitely have had experience with this model.

Since we got this unit, we have been having problems with its sound.  It seems that a number of the patches seem have have hot spots or quite non-linear levels throughout its range of keys.  The current piano patch - to make it sound like a normal piano - we have to really roll of the bottom end on our Midas Verona.   I don't believe its how they are playing it (like how hard/fast they press the keys).  Its just weird.

We also have a decent Yamaha synth which is just fine, and does not exhibit this problem.

I found that its XLR output level was extremely hot, so instead I have found I can get a little more linearity by using a direct box.

This is the first synth or e-piano that I have used in a mix that I wish I had a compressor on.  Something to smooth out its variances.

Anyone had similar problems with this unit?

I don't have the standard built-in patches that the player is using at this time.

thanks

'mark

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Experience with Roland V-piano
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »

Mark....

Did you  purchase this new, used or was it a donation?  Do you have the manual?  If not, click on this and download a copy:

http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index.cfm?PRODUCT=V-PIANO

If it's used or a donation of a used unit you'll have to go in and do a re-set to get back to the factory settings.  Or you could adjust the patches and various parameters one at a time to your taste, but a complete reset is usually preferable.

If it's new, you'll have to do the tweaks on the patches to get it where you want it.  But making sure you have the proper connection to your system is the first thing.  The manual will also give that info. 

Get hold of a keyboard amp and play it through that to see if you have the same problems through the amp.  If not, then either mic up the amp or figure out what in your system is out of whack.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

mark ahlenius

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »

Thanks Dic,

It was brand spanking new.  THe manual that I found out of the box wasn't too helpful.  Perhaps the one online will be better.  I wasn't aware that you could tweak the patches.

Have you had good experiences with this unit?

thanks again.

'mark

Mark....

Did you  purchase this new, used or was it a donation?  Do you have the manual?  If not, click on this and download a copy:

http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index.cfm?PRODUCT=V-PIANO

If it's used or a donation of a used unit you'll have to go in and do a re-set to get back to the factory settings.  Or you could adjust the patches and various parameters one at a time to your taste, but a complete reset is usually preferable.

If it's new, you'll have to do the tweaks on the patches to get it where you want it.  But making sure you have the proper connection to your system is the first thing.  The manual will also give that info. 

Get hold of a keyboard amp and play it through that to see if you have the same problems through the amp.  If not, then either mic up the amp or figure out what in your system is out of whack.

chris harwood

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:14:57 AM »

unfortunately, I can't comment on this unit, but I am pretty intimate with other Roland products and their manuals.  Although I believe that Roland has some of the best sounding stuff today (and even their old JV series stuff competes to a large extent), their manuals are notorious for being very odd/difficult/strange to navigate thru and the patches are also known for jumping all over the place, volume wize.  As far as within one patch, that is too bad, but in a way not too surprising, as stuff like that has slipped thru Roland from time to time.  Hope it isn't their "flagship" patch on that unit.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:14:57 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.