ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: American Idiot  (Read 3052 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
American Idiot
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »

Last night I went to the theater to see American Idiot before it closes. We had great seats on the aisle of the center section in row G. There was more PA than I have ever seen on a B'way musical (I haven't seen Spiderman) and it mostly sounded pretty good. There were times I was bothered that too much of the dynamics of the drums was done by mixing. On the loud parts the drums sounded great, he was playing hard and they had a lot of presence. The problem was in quieter numbers, where he was playing too loud, and wasn't really even in the PA. It made it sound like he was in a different band.

The scenery and video were great. There were about 25 or 30 video monitors built into the set, with probably a half dozen different feeds, and 3 big projectors that did scenic projection from the balcony rail. They were edge blended in the corners between the 3 walls of the set, with one projector on each wall. the use of both the monitors and the projectors was very nice.

I'm not a huge Green Day fan, and would have been just as happy if Billy Joe Armstrong had not returned to the show for the last couple of weeks before closing. You could tell most of the audience was distracted every time he was on stage. I would much rather the female lead Rebecca Jones had been in last night's show instead of her sub. Rebecca was in Passing Strange, and is a treat to watch, she is a very dynamic performer, in what was a very dynamic show.

In any case it was well worth the trip to see.

Mac
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:02:40 AM by Mac Kerr »

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: American Idiot
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »

I'm not a huge Green Day fan, and would have been just as happy if Billy Ray Armstrong had not returned to the show for the last couple of weeks before closing.

Did you mean "Billie Joe Armstrong"? Of course, there's always the possibility He and Billy Ray Cyrus had a son together ;)
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:56:27 PM »

Did you mean "Billie Joe Armstrong"? Of course, there's always the possibility He and Billy Ray Cyrus had a son together ;)

Maybe. As I said, not a huge Green Day fan. The show was good though.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 03:16:06 AM »

Think of the Mullets!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »

Mac - you didn't miss anything on Spider-Man. Saw it in February; it's always a bad sign when the crowd is laughing at parts that aren't intended to be comic.

Wirework is more scary than cool; you're afraid that a guy hurtling towards you in the air will come crashing down on you at any moment.

I'm curious as to how much they'll change, but I'd change the story, casting, character directions on some of the key characters, the music (U2+broadway = meh), less wirework, but other than that it's in great shape...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.