ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing Monitors on PM5D  (Read 12898 times)

Thomas Bishop

Mixing Monitors on PM5D
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »

I did a search and didn't find anything, but I feel like this has to have been discussed before.  Please point me in the right direction if it has.  Anyway...

I'll be mixing monitors on the 5D later this month and am looking for some pointers.  I'm fairly comfortable mixing FOH on it if it's been setup ahead of time and I'm "fluent" on the M7 and LS9, both monitors and FOH.  I'll read the manual and download the OLE but in the meantime any pointers would be much appreciated.  It will be at a festival so everything will be preset, both wedges and IEM's.  Thanks!

Thomas Bishop

Re: Mixing Monitors on PM5D
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:11:01 pm »

245 views and no one has any input?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:02:30 pm »

Maybe describing what you need to do, what the show requirements are, or how you usually work with other consoles will make it so someone can offer pointers. So far you just seem to have asked for a tutorial on monitor mixing, far too much information for an internet forum.

Mac

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:18:22 pm »

Maybe describing what you need to do, what the show requirements are, or how you usually work with other consoles will make it so someone can offer pointers. So far you just seem to have asked for a tutorial on monitor mixing, far too much information for an internet forum.

That's about the response I expected.  Back to the lighting forum...  Feel free to delete.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:31:58 pm »

That's about the response I expected.  Back to the lighting forum...  Feel free to delete.

If you can't describe what you need help with it is pretty hard to help you. That will apply in life as well as on the internet. Good luck with that.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »

Hi Thomas-

Without some idea of what pointers or tips would benefit you, vis-a-vis the PM5D, we're at a loss.

So I'll offer mine... keep the 24 rotary encoders assigned to the mixes of the selected channel.

HTH

Have fun, happy mixing.

Tim Mc
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:01:01 pm by Tim McCulloch »
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

JonathanSmith

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 02:28:03 pm »

I thought about replying, but there's at least 3-4 different ways to mix monitors on a PM5D, and I'll use them all throughout a show. To spend a couple hours typing up a response on how to do that would be difficult, especially when you've only touched the desk a couple times and don't REALLY know how it works:

Quote from: Thomas Bishop
I'm fairly comfortable mixing FOH on it if it's been setup ahead of time

My suggestion is to find someone who is very comfortable on the desk and have them walk you through mixing monitors on it. Either that, or do as Tim said and leave the encoders in Mix Send mode, NOT Mix Master mode. Then, as you select the channel, you can dial up the mixes as you would on an analog desk.

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:56:29 pm »

Sorry man but that question was the equivalent of asking "How do I drive a car/truck with a manual transmission?".

If everything is going to be set as you say and you have time on other yamaha digitals I think you're gonna be fine. 

edit: I type worse than somebody with tuna cans for fingers
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:59:29 pm by Dave Bigelow »

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 09:30:17 pm »

I didn't realize my question was so vague.  Although, I got some solid answers, and I especially appreciate the suggestion to keep the encoders in Mix Send mode.  I typically don't go into sends on faders mode on the M7 so that should work for me on the 5D.  I guess most people put the graphics on the user defined keys?  If not, what's the quickest way to get to them?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 10:14:10 pm »

I didn't realize my question was so vague.  Although, I got some solid answers, and I especially appreciate the suggestion to keep the encoders in Mix Send mode.  I typically don't go into sends on faders mode on the M7 so that should work for me on the 5D.  I guess most people put the graphics on the user defined keys?  If not, what's the quickest way to get to them?

Without having to assign graphic EQs to the UDKs, if you go into the GEQ display, then each graphic EQ will follow the selected mix that the respective EQ is inserted on.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 10:14:10 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.