ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Centered row subwoofer array using folded horns.  (Read 3879 times)

Tom Williams

Centered row subwoofer array using folded horns.
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:55:07 am »

Hi All,

I have a show coming up that will require me to use 16 Martin WSX folded horn subs. My experience with horn subs is severly limited so I have come to pick your brains.

A quick background, the show will be Hip Hop and is around the 1500/2000 Pax mark. Indoors at the local convention centre, a rectangular space. I don't know yet whether it will be setup length or width ways, lets take it at the moment as width ways (i.e the back of stage parallel with the shorter wall).

I can only think of two ways to set this up

1. Subs upright with horn side on the deck tightly packed, electronically or physically delayed

2. Subs on their side two high and two across, mirror imaged horns (think W configuration) 4 sets of 4, outer clusters again delayed

In regards to setup 2, assuming the venue width is about 20 meters (65ft) should I tight pack the stacks, or space them out?

Would it be OK to delay the outer boxes in the stack or should I apply delay to whole stacks?

I have heard good things about these boxes and am looking forward to understanding them a bit better with some help.

Thanks guys.

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
Re: Centered row subwoofer array using folded horns.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:19:10 am »

Hi All,

I have a show coming up that will require me to use 16 Martin WSX folded horn subs. My experience with horn subs is severly limited so I have come to pick your brains.

A quick background, the show will be Hip Hop and is around the 1500/2000 Pax mark. Indoors at the local convention centre, a rectangular space. I don't know yet whether it will be setup length or width ways, lets take it at the moment as width ways (i.e the back of stage parallel with the shorter wall).

I can only think of two ways to set this up

1. Subs upright with horn side on the deck tightly packed, electronically or physically delayed

2. Subs on their side two high and two across, mirror imaged horns (think W configuration) 4 sets of 4, outer clusters again delayed

In regards to setup 2, assuming the venue width is about 20 meters (65ft) should I tight pack the stacks, or space them out?

Would it be OK to delay the outer boxes in the stack or should I apply delay to whole stacks?

I have heard good things about these boxes and am looking forward to understanding them a bit better with some help.

Thanks guys.

Try and search for photos or the Glastonbury festival.
Martin Audio WSX subs were used in a long front central row. About 40 of them, so i think if you use them all standing upright with the horn on the floor you will get a good results. You might need to use some delay to "move" the central boxes a bit toward back. Or you can arrange them in an arc shape so you focus most of the sub energy at the dance floor.

Martyn ferrit Rowe

• are we there yet?
Re: Centered row subwoofer array using folded horns.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »

Hey Guys,
The Glastonbury setup is 54 WS218X cabinets arranged in a a broadside array of cardioid "cells" accross the front of the stage (2 forward, 1 back).
see: http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/feb09/articles/glastonbury.htm
Scroll down for picture at bottom. This array then has arc-delay processing applied to it to "broaden" the coverage. It's a bit complex to setup as each cabinet needs its own amplifier and dsp channel.

prehaps a better setup for your application would be a broadside array in front of the stage with Arc-delay processing to broaden the coverage. The natural front to back ratio of a horn loaded sub will mean that cardioid setup won't be needed.

without processing the pattern from this broadside array will be narrow they won't need arc in as suggested.

Tom, if you want to contact me ferrit@martin-audio.com I can help you with the settings for this setup.

cheers,
ferrit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.