ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting stacks at proper height  (Read 3713 times)

curt lunsford

Setting stacks at proper height
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »

Looking for opinions from the forum readers on a situation coming to me in the near future. I will be doing a gig in an auditorium's outdoor parking lot. The stage will be set where there will be a substantial slope. Therefore, if ground stacking or setting on stage, I will have one side of stacks higher than the other.
My question, do you stack both sides so they look asthically correct or do you raise/lower one side to even out horn pattern to audience?

Thanks for looking and responding

Matt Martin

Re: Setting stacks at proper height
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »

Do you need it to look pretty, or sound good?

edit: Wait, I just noticed you said or on the stage. the stage should be level, right?? Maybe I missed something in there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:46:56 PM by Matt Martin »
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Tom Williams

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »

Please read forum sticky.

Re:Name

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:36:44 AM »

Looking for opinions from the forum readers on a situation coming to me in the near future. I will be doing a gig in an auditorium's outdoor parking lot. The stage will be set where there will be a substantial slope. Therefore, if ground stacking or setting on stage, I will have one side of stacks higher than the other.
My question, do you stack both sides so they look asthically correct or do you raise/lower one side to even out horn pattern to audience?

What?  Is this stage a manufactured stage or some home built stage?   I think you need to find someone that has some actual experience with planning a show, to guide you.

More experience is needed,  by you and your customer.

Hammer   

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:55:25 PM »

I think the guy simply means that the ground will be higher on one side of the stage than on the other. In which case I would set them up so they best reach the listeners even if LEFT side does not look like RIGHT side.

The PA is there for benefit of the audience, not to look pretty. It is all about sound coverage. You want the mids and horns to be above the heads of the audience. Imagine if you could look through the horn lens with one eyeball. Set them high enough so you could see everyone's ears. But only if it is safe. Don't stack them too high if the stack will not be stable.

Consider the vertical and horizontal coverage of the horn lenses. Aim them so they are most effective for even spread across the majority of audience front to rear and left to right. Tilt them downward and/or inward if need be.

The point is...don't point the horns in a direction where sound energy will be wasted or heard by no one.

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:07:03 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »

You really haven't clarified what is sloping, where and how it relates to the stage and/or audience.  You say that there will be some difference whether ground stacking or on stage
and that doesn't really make much sense in itself.  The stage will be level, so if you set the speakers on stage they will be the same height.  If the audience area is sloping, then you might just (safely) shim and strap the tops to tilt them so as to fire at the (lower) portion of the audience area.

So it would seem that if you can aim both stacks independently in the vertical plane you should be able to even out the coverage a bit despite things being in differing height relationships audience left and audience right.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

curt lunsford

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »

You really haven't clarified what is sloping, where and how it relates to the stage and/or audience.  You say that there will be some difference whether ground stacking or on stage
and that doesn't really make much sense in itself.  The stage will be level, so if you set the speakers on stage they will be the same height.  If the audience area is sloping, then you might just (safely) shim and strap the tops to tilt them so as to fire at the (lower) portion of the audience area.

So it would seem that if you can aim both stacks independently in the vertical plane you should be able to even out the coverage a bit despite things being in differing height relationships audience left and audience right.

Sorry guys, sometimes I think I'm talking clearly, but obviously not.
Did a show in this same area a couple of years ago, the stage is indeed level however the left side of stage was five feet off ground whereas the right side was a good 10 ft. In my mind keeping the horns at an even horizontal plane to reduce comb filtering would be recommended. Thus relying on the downward angle of the lens to hopefully capture to front lower area.
Just an opinion and good food for thought. Obviously there is give n take for every scenario.
Thanks for the inputs
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:38:07 PM by Mac Kerr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.