Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound Archive

MyMix vs Aviom

<< < (6/7) > >>

Kevin Hoober:
Hey Loren,

I've enjoyed following this thread for the little while.  I'm glad to see somebody giving Aviom a run for its money.  A few comments on your last post:

lorenjones wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 07:05

I had thought that you could connect several together in daisy chain fashion to form a system without them having to be connected to an ethernet switch but apparently that isn't the case.

I take it that the system uses a POE switch?  Or does each mixer need a wall-wart?

lorenjones wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 07:05
Also an advantage is the ability to use more than 8 MyMix stations on the network (as many as you want) which is also an advantage over Aviom.

How is this an advantage?  As far as I know, there is not a limitation to the number of Aviom Mixers in a system.  
(I'm not questioning the beauty of having assignable inputs on the mixers)

Keep the good info coming,
Kevin

lorenjones:
Quote:
I take it that the system uses a POE switch? Or does each mixer need a wall-wart?

They can get power from either POE or wall warts.

Quote:
How is this an advantage? As far as I know, there is not a limitation to the number of Aviom Mixers in a system.
(I'm not questioning the beauty of having assignable inputs on the mixers)

It may be my misunderstanding of an Aviom system.  I thought they could only do 8 mixers per network but that may be just 8 mixers per A16D distributor and you can use multiple distributors if you want more mixers on the network.

I think having the large LCD screen with click-wheel interface and easy ability to label everything as you want it is quite nice on the mymix system.  I haven't looked at an Aviom system hands on.  It just seems like the ability to select from more than 16 channels to make the mix each person wants is nice, although I guess most of the time each person will want most of the same inputs included in their mix.  If that number exceeds 16 then we will most likely have to make some of it happen with submixes sent to the mymix system anyway.

Take care,
Loren Jones

John M Gibby:
What is the setup like for the MyMix stations.  Does each station have to go through the list of possible inputs and pare it down to 16?  For a fixed installation I can see that this is a mostly one time setup per station.  However, I think it gives the user the ability to screw up their mix.  It seems that a lot of amateur musicians think they need everything in their mix and want a mix that is like the house mix.  Those that know what they are doing will ask for only what they need in their mix.

While the MyMix does seem intriguing to me, I'm still in the Roland M-48 camp.  Plus, I still don't like the big LCD screens on onstage equipment in a setting where going to black is a requirement at times.  The proliferation of onstage LEDs and lights drives me crazy and detracts from the mood of the performance.  I know people are becoming more accustomed to it, but I still think that LCDs will even more distracting that little LED lights.

The Roland has a better set of features in my book.  And the system operator can set up each station by copying another station setup.  Additionally, they can pool inputs on one station group.  The only thing the MyMix has that the M-48 doesn't is the recording to SD Card, but they do have a record out.  

Regardless, competition is GOOD!

Kevin Hoober:
lorenjones wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 21:55
It may be my misunderstanding of an Aviom system.  I thought they could only do 8 mixers per network but that may be just 8 mixers per A16D distributor and you can use multiple distributors if you want more mixers on the network.

you can also daisy-chain mixers (of course, you get to use wall-warts)

lorenjones wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 21:55
It just seems like the ability to select from more than 16 channels to make the mix each person wants is nice, although I guess most of the time each person will want most of the same inputs included in their mix.

Usually 16 channels proves to be enough for the band guys--I wish for more channels when I need to add singers to the mix.  The only solution here w/ Aviom would be to use two systems--which can get messy.  Our current solution is Aviom for the band and individual stereo mixes (off of our SM20--I'm also interested in how you do in selling yours) for the singers.

Noticed an article in January's Live Sound International on this very subject, but it isn't intended to highlight the differences between the systems.

keep it coming,

Kevin H.

Kent Thompson:
How is the build?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version