Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound Archive

MyMix vs Aviom

(1/7) > >>

lorenjones:
So our pastor just told me the church has decided to invest in a musician mix their own monitoring system.  Currently we mix for the band (everyone on headphones) from a dedicated Soundcraft SM20 monitor desk.

Can anyone here compare the MyMix system vs Aviom?  I am currently favoring the MyMix as it will be quite a bit cheaper to configure a system that will carry all 48 channels to match the frame size of our mixing desk.  I realize either system only allows the musician to select 16 channels to include in their mix.  Any drawbacks with the MyMix system that any users here have noticed?  We are going to audition the MyMix in the next couple weeks but just wanted to see what opinions were on it vs Aviom.

A related question regarding IEM's.  Currently our band members use cheap (read iPod earbuds and other garbage earphones) as "IEM's".  I would like to include the purchase of some decent universal fit IEM's to go with our new monitor mixing system.  I have been looking at Westone UM1 or Etymotic ER6i.  Any opinions on these?  Suggestions for other good universal fit entry level IEM's?  I think durability, secure fit and easy availability of affordable replacement foam or silicone tips will be more important than absolute sound quality.  

Thanks for any thoughts,
Loren Jones

Lee Buckalew:
Loren,
If you are still weighing budget vs. functionality.  Check out the Roland M-48 system.  It allows each musician to have a different set of 40 inputs applied to 16 stereo groups on his/her own mixer.
Very flexible.

I canot speak to MyMix having not used it but it does create the same issue that Aviom has and that is, all musicians must be sent the same sets of feeds even if they don't need them.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Arnold B. Krueger:
lorenjones wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 05:05
So our pastor just told me the church has decided to invest in a musician mix their own monitoring system.  Currently we mix for the band (everyone on headphones) from a dedicated Soundcraft SM20 monitor desk.

Can anyone here compare the MyMix system vs Aviom?

We've had Aviom for about 6 months, and I can read spec sheets.

My first 2 concerns are:

(1) The controller seems to require thrashing through menus to get common operations completed. Learhing curve?

(2) No digital interface with digital consoles.

To give the devil its due, the Backbeat hardware looks like its about 10 years of development down the road from our Aviom system in just about every way. I chafe at the costs and limitations of the Aviom concentrators.

Quote:

I am currently favoring the MyMix as it will be quite a bit cheaper to configure a system that will carry all 48 channels to match the frame size of our mixing desk.

IOW you want it to also be a digital snake?

Quote:

A related question regarding IEM's.  Currently our band members use cheap (read iPod earbuds and other garbage earphones) as "IEM's".  I would like to include the purchase of some decent universal fit IEM's to go with our new monitor mixing system.  I have been looking at Westone UM1 or Etymotic ER6i.  Any opinions on these?  Suggestions for other good universal fit entry level IEM's?  I think durability, secure fit and easy availability of affordable replacement foam or silicone tips will be more important than absolute sound quality.  

One word: Shure.

BTW I picked up a pair of Altec "Backbeat Pro" IEMs for about $30 off the web. Their physical and sonic resemblence to my Shure E-3 (AKA SE 210) IEMs (ca. $180) is pretty uncanny. A friend who dabbles in such stuff says things like "The same Knowles balanced armature driver". He used to be VP of R&D for you-konw-who and turned me onto this deal. I asked him about the need for multiway IEMs and he says not so much.

Arnold B. Krueger:
Lee Buckalew wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 14:14

I canot speak to MyMix having not used it but it does create the same issue that Aviom has and that is, all musicians must be sent the same sets of feeds even if they don't need them.

Doesn't that come with the territory if you run all the remotes over the same CAT5 media?

Lee Buckalew:
Quote:
Lee Buckalew wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 14:14

Arnold Krueger wrote:

Doesn't that come with the territory if you run all the remotes over the same CAT5 media?

No it doesn't.  With the REAC format (Roland) each mixer can be sent 16 stereo mixes made up of any combination of the 40 channels.
So one mixer may receive a different combination of channels than another.
It is a 40 x 32 matrix per personal mixer (well, actually 40 x 16 stereo).

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version