Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound Archive

Portable PA active speakers

<< < (2/2)

Marcus Howell:
Dick

Good point. Certainly answered my issue

Andrew

Those Mackie are lovely but are getting a bit large. These are for the odd Alpha course or Marriage course our Church does on occasions usually at a village hall or community centre. The spec says they are nearly half a metre tall.

And are not handled by the most technically competent.

I am warming to the wharfies cos if push comes to shove I could actually use them as monitors, as well, especially if we try a bit of recording.

I am in no hurry. Don't want to blow the years budget half way through January!!

Tom Young:
Quote:
I am warming to the wharfies cos if push comes to shove I could actually use them as monitors, as well, especially if we try a bit of recording.

It's been a few years, but when I demoed a couple of different Wharfdale speakers they clearly were quite substandard in their design and build quality. The price reflected this.

You are at the threshold of what many people face: the decision to buy what you can afford now and probably end up with something that does not do a decent job and has zero long-term value *or* you can wait until additional funds become available and buy something that will last a long time, perform very well and (as you or your needs grow) perhaps be used elsewhere with good results.

The concept that any PA speaker can be used as a recording monitor is very uninformed. These are completey different applications and consist of completely different design criteria and are used under completely unrelated acoustic conditions.

Dick Rees:
Tom...

If you read the post to which the OP was referring you'll see that I was recommending the Wharfdale studio monitors for his use.  I have not had a lot of experience with their PA stuff, but the little studio monitors are very usable, built well and sound good for his use.  I have used them extensively in this application and find them to be good performers and a very economical solution for those who need simple voice reinforcement, laptop/DVD/CD enhancement and the ability to connect with either XLR or RCA.  As such they are easily usable by the less experienced folks.

You cannot and should not ever try to use them for PA speakers, though.  The OP's characterization of his needs as "PA speakers" is an unfortunate misnomer.  Looking at his use I would not hesitate to save the money and simply use near field monitors.

DR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version