ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Japanese Koto  (Read 3121 times)

David Kaiser

Japanese Koto
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »

I have been told that there will be a three piece group playing these on an outdoor stage at my next gig. My available mics are AT-MB4000C, AT dynamic mics, and Crown PZM 30D and 180's. I also have two Shure 545 and a couple of SM57.  Mixers will be a pair of Mackie 1604VLZ's. Any suggestions?

Roland Clarke

Re: Japanese Koto
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »

I've only recorded Koto on one occasion, but it wasn't a difficult instrument to get a handle on.  I would recommend treating it like a guitar or banjo.  It doesn't have much low end, I used a condensor, but would think that a dynamic might work better if GBF is an issue, if not, any good quality small diameter condensors should do the trick!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:08:32 PM »

I have been told that there will be a three piece group playing these on an outdoor stage at my next gig. My available mics are AT-MB4000C, AT dynamic mics, and Crown PZM 30D and 180's. I also have two Shure 545 and a couple of SM57.  Mixers will be a pair of Mackie 1604VLZ's. Any suggestions?

I'd use matched mics no matter what type you choose.  If the players don't have a preferred placement, stick your head down there and give a listen for the sweet spot.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:12:10 PM »

Check YouTube for some videos of the koto being played.  Your mic placement needs to take into account the seated position of the player and the low profile of the instrument.  Very short desk stands will work, or even placing mics at an upward angle on small pillows or folded cloths.  Put a flower arrangement in front of the mics.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »

I'd use matched mics no matter what type you choose.  If the players don't have a preferred placement, stick your head down there and give a listen for the sweet spot.

+1   and I've had success mic'g it similar to a piano, but in closer.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.