ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headset Mics  (Read 17750 times)

luther fairley

Headset Mics
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:43:33 AM »

Can anyone give me the pros & cons on the country men head set?

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Re: Headset Mics
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »

luther fairley wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 05:43

Can anyone give me the pros & cons on the country men head set?

The pros of the E6  are that it is a very flexible system of cables, wands, clips, caps and similar pieces for creating a nearly invisible vocal microphone for singing or talking. It can sound very good.

The cons of the e6  are that it is more expensive than some competitive products and can be more prone to damage than you might like.

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »

Pro: its small almost invisible from a distance in the right colors.
Pretty good sound.
Fairly consistant microphone placement.
Does not pick up rubbing cloth like lapels do.
No microphone stand to get in the way.

Cons:The cables are small and easy to break(order extras).They have thicker cables available but, the smaller cables are more flexible.
Some people have problems with the earpiece staying put and have to readjust it a few times during use(the double ear brace helps).
Gain before feedback is not as good as a sm58 or om5.

These are my thoughts on the ones we have. We are considering taking a step up to a DPA at the moment.I think from a price/performace stand point its a pretty good deal for a pretty good microphone.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »

Just a side note about the earworn mics. If you mike up any women, make sure they don't wear dangly earrings, as these mics do a great job of picking up their jingle.   The E6's are good mics, though.  Just about every church around me uses them.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:02:04 AM »

Kent Thompson wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 22:27

Pro: its small almost invisible from a distance in the right colors.
Pretty good sound.
Fairly consistant microphone placement.
Does not pick up rubbing cloth like lapels do.
No microphone stand to get in the way.

We're obviously both on the same page here, but we both forgot to point out that E6s don't pick up chest sounds like lavs typically do.

Quote:

Cons:The cables are small and easy to break(order extras).They have thicker cables available but, the smaller cables are more flexible.
Some people have problems with the earpiece staying put and have to readjust it a few times during use(the double ear brace helps).
Gain before feedback is not as good as a sm58 or om5.

That's an interesting claim. As we both know SM58s and OM5s or OM6s are cardiod or hypercardiod respectively while the E6s are omnis unless you use the right caps. I've got E6s, OM5s, OM6s, and also some CAD cardioids. I would say that they have different feedack resistance patterns, but I can't give a strong overall win to any of them. A lot seem to depend on the user. As allways, YMMV.

Quote:

These are my thoughts on the ones we have. We are considering taking a step up to a DPA at the moment.I think from a price/performace stand point its a pretty good deal for a pretty good microphone.

One other thing is that I've seen big psychological differences. Some people really like the headsets a priori, and some are the exact opposite and othrs are everywhere in-between.

Trying to force a vocalist or speaker use a mic he thinks he hates is a non-starter, and I've been foolish enough to try!

Brian Ehlers

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of the DPA 4066.  I chose it over the Countryman E6 based in part on comments I had heard from others about the durability of the E6 cables and connectors and the tendency for any single-ear mic to get displaced by head movement (this was before Countryman offered the earclip to help secure the mic to both ears).  Anyway, if you're willing to pay for the E6, you should also consider the 4066;  same ballpark, though you'll also need the little DPA adapter between 4066 and beltpack.  One more comment about the 4066:  since the boom extends from below the ear (instead of above, as with the E6), it is more vulnerable to earring noise.

As far as gain before feedback is concerned, headworn mics tend to give you a lot more -- despite being omni -- simply because they are so close to the mouth.  I get at least 5 dB more gain before feedback from the DPA 4066 then I do from the identical 4061 chest-worn lav (not to mention is also sounds better).  In my sanctuary, that's also about 5 dB more GBF than I get with a hypercardioid (AT853) pulpit-mounted gooseneck.
    -- Brian

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:19:13 PM »

I should have been a little clearer in my GBF statement. Yes they are different patterns except for the sm58 (we use the cardioid capsule). I just find that I have to deal with feedback a little bit more at higher level than I do with the other listed microphones. It's not bad worse it's just slightly worse in my use. (I do realize it is not even a very fair comparison and also depends on the user knowing how to use each microphone.) Now if comparing it to a lav the E6 wins that battle handily.

The reason we are even looking at a DPA is because of the fitting on the E6 the user just can't seem to make it stay put so he has to use the double ear piece which works better but, we are wanting to see if we can find something that fits and works better for him. If it makes an improvement to the sound it is even better.
Like you said Arnold YMMV.

Silas Ng

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »

So I actually purchased one of those Microphone Madness headsets and tried it out today. The quality soundwise is very good. Hardly distinguishable from the e6 we have (but I can't say my ears are perfect although I am a musician as well).

For $100, it can't really be beat and will allow us to now have each pastor have their own personal headset. In comparing the e6, it was a little harder to stay on the ear because it doesn't have that rubber/silicone jacket that's on the e6 which gives a bit better grip. I wonder if there's something I can buy that will help it grip better to the ear. Otherwise, thanks to whoever posted about this mic and I hope it will last us a couple years at least!

luther fairley

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »

Where did you buy your from?

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:22:36 AM »

Unless things have changed recently the Microphone Madness mics can only be purchased from Microphone Madness.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:22:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.