ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone using "samepage" music stands/monitors?  (Read 264292 times)

Chris Harwood

anyone using "samepage" music stands/monitors?
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:34:53 PM »

Title says it all.  Cat 5 cabling, music AND virtual monitor mixer on a touch screen music stand.  Many other features.  Was looking at Aviom for a new church install, but this has sooo many more useful features.

But, what's like?  Any good?

Jonathan Johnson

Re: anyone using "samepage" music stands/monitors?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:46:43 AM »

I'll save you the trouble: http://www.samepagemusic.com/

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »

Chris Harwood wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 01:34

Title says it all.  Cat 5 cabling, music AND virtual monitor mixer on a touch screen music stand.  Many other features.  Was looking at Aviom for a new church install, but this has sooo many more useful features.

It looks great on paper. We just invested in Aviom, and I am now having second thoughts, based on this.

The basic idea seems to be to replace the Aviom musician's controllers @ $700 with some tablet PCs @ $1000 and get a ton more useful function.

If this pass at these ideas does not make it, I predict that people will try it again and again until they do make it.

I know how much time gets spent shuffling sheet music around my church, and anything that cuts that significantly would be a very good thing. The mixer is just cream. Very valuable cream,b ut just cream.

I wonder if this would faciliate projecting full musical scores for congregatoinal singing. That requirement has been wandering around our church for over a decade!

Somebody gests to be the pioneer! Wink

Thomas Harkin

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:10:56 PM »

Chris Harwood wrote on Sun, 02 January 2011 19:34

I know nothing about it, but would like to know, too.

I couldn't find any specs or pricing.  have you found any?

Thomas

John M Gibby

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »

I think touch screen interfaces are here to stay, but there is one glaring (no pun intended) gotcha I see with these.  If used in a production where the stage goes black, the lighting director is not going to be happy.  Even just a few of these things glaring in the dark will destroy the mood of a dark set.  However, I think eventually they will design into touchscreens automatic dimming based on ambient light.  I'm sure some devices already have it, but I think all devices will have this somewhere down the road, even just to save battery life for battery-powered devices.  And devices such as this might even be remotely dimmed through DMX.  The church I worked in VA installed dimmable circuits to be able to dim the incandescent music stand lights just for that reason.

The idea is really slick though.  Combine the Planning & Play features with a soft version of Roland's M-48 mixing capabilities and you've got a killer product at least on paper.  The devil is in the details, so-to-speak.  So it remains to be seen how well it works in a real-world environment.

John

Frank DeWitt

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »

I poked around and found this.
19" Touchscreen Performance Station with Software, 4GB    SamePage SPPS-M4  $950

Network Switch 24Port    SamePage SP24S  $700

16Ch Line Level Input Module    SamePage SPMX16L $1700

And the mix engine at about $2500 for 8 ch  (I think)

So, It looks like 10 stations will cost about $16,900 or about $1700 per person.

I don't own this system, I am just guessing based on this web site.
http://www.fullcompass.com/brand/SPG/show-all.html

Frank

John M Gibby

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »

Pricing sounds good for all they say it will do.  However, looking on SamePage site, I notice there are reviews all the way back to 2007, but I've never heard of these.  Makes me wonder if the idea has a lot of cool factor, but in reality, the musicians don't like them and therefore they aren't that popular.

We need someone with first-hand experience to give us a run-down on them.

John

PS.  I do like FullCompass.  Erik is a good man!

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »

I have seen that proco monitor system can interface with them.
http://www.procomomentum.com/?page=ears

Frank DeWitt

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »

John M Gibby wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 16:49

Pricing sounds good for all they say it will do.  However, looking on SamePage site, I notice there are reviews all the way back to 2007, but I've never heard of these.  Makes me wonder if the idea has a lot of cool factor, but in reality, the musicians don't like them and therefore they aren't that popular.

We need someone with first-hand experience to give us a run-down on them.

John

PS.  I do like FullCompass.  Erik is a good man!

I think the mixer part was added in Nov 2008 It is by Pro Co
http://procomomentum.com/downloads/releases/Pro%20Co%20and%2 0Corevalus.pdf

Frank

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:31:29 PM »

John M Gibby wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 12:57

I think touch screen interfaces are here to stay, but there is one glaring (no pun intended) gotcha I see with these.  If used in a production where the stage goes black, the lighting director is not going to be happy.  Even just a few of these things glaring in the dark will destroy the mood of a dark set.  However, I think eventually they will design into touchscreens automatic dimming based on ambient light.  I'm sure some devices already have it, but I think all devices will have this somewhere down the road, even just to save battery life for battery-powered devices.  And devices such as this might even be remotely dimmed through DMX.  The church I worked in VA installed dimmable circuits to be able to dim the incandescent music stand lights just for that reason.

The idea is really slick though.  Combine the Planning & Play features with a soft version of Roland's M-48 mixing capabilities and you've got a killer product at least on paper.  The devil is in the details, so-to-speak.  So it remains to be seen how well it works in a real-world environment.

John

Black tape works for the ubiquitous LED, but I'm guessing it won't work here.

I like the idea of a DMX-capable monitor... wonder how long before someone implements it. If the monitor backlight is LED, it would be possible, but if it is a cold cathode lamp (like the kind in a flatbed scanner -- also used in many LCD monitors) then it probably wouldn't be truly dimmable. In that case, you'd be dependent on darkening the LCD elements, and that does not produce true darkness.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:31:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.