ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pro-grade electronic metronome  (Read 17859 times)

mark ahlenius

pro-grade electronic metronome
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »

HI,

we have gone through several electronic metronomes for our church worship band.  All the units we have had used 1/4" TRS output jacks which we'd DI into our board and then out to the musicians via their IEM's.

The problem we have is that these plastic metronome units are not reliable, and the connections are flaky at best.

Has anyone had experience with a pro-grade type metronome which would have balanced outputs (XLR) and is more reliable than the little portable units?  

I'm looking for recommendations on units.

thanks much

'mark

Dick Rees

Re: pro-grade electronic metronome
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:59:42 PM »

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

A quick and easy free solution.  

http://www.metronomer.com/

Another possibility with finer tempo adjustments.

mark ahlenius

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:55:53 PM »

Thanks Dick,

but I was looking for a piece of gear we'd have up on the stage and controllable by the drummer next to his kit.

'mark

Sidney.Pilien

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »

Try this  http://www.bestmetronomes.com/

Have you tried miking one w/say a condenser?
Sidney Pilien  

As Schultze would say "I know nutting!"

Kevin Hoober

• http://www.pinelake.org
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »

Hey Mark,
Don't know of anything w/ an XLR output.  We've had really good luck w/ Korg's Beatlab.  I seem to remember that I had a hard time finding one a few months ago--hopefully you'll have better luck.

I use a 1/4" TRS to 1/4"TS cable (TR wired to T) between the headphone out and the DI or volume pedal.

Kevin H.

Dan Johnson

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »

mark ahlenius wrote on Sat, 01 January 2011 22:55

Thanks Dick,

but I was looking for a piece of gear we'd have up on the stage and controllable by the drummer next to his kit.

'mark

The band I mix uses a Boss DB-90.  It doesn't have XLR outs but does have 1/8" and 1/4" outs.  You can save different settings in its memory.  We set up all the tempos for the show beforehand and then the drummer uses a footswitch during the show to advance to the next memory slot between songs.  This makes it a lot easier to transition between songs without having to stop playing and wait for him to set the next tempo (one song can flow right into the other with a different tempo for each song).  You could also use the footswitch to start and stop the beat instead of advancing the memory.  This may be a lot more than you are wanting to spend though.

At about half the price, the DB-60 looks like it can do most of what I just said about the DB-90 accept that it doesn't appear to have a footswitch connection.  I haven't used it though so that's just what I gathered from a quick glance at the website.

(edit) By the way, we have travelled with the DB-90 for a couple years or so with no problems whatsoever.

Benamin John Brunskill

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »

We use a Tama RhythmWatch, which was recommended to me by Rolf van der Flem (Hillsong) Yes, it's plastic, but it seems well made, and we've never had a problem with it. It can save tempos, and you can move between presets with a footswitch. This makes for some nice tight transitions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.