Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound Archive

Headphones for Drummer

<< < (3/4) > >>

Dick Rees:
Silas....

There is no cheap solution when it comes to headphones or IEM's.  Repeat after me:

"There is no cheap solution."

By the time you experiment with various "cheap" solutions you will have spent just as much money as one of the proper solutions  and endured a lot of frustration on the way.

Here is a link to the 'phones I use:

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

If you click on the "home" tab on Gordy's site you'll get an idea of who uses these and why.

The salient point here is ISOLATION. The material in the cans will be severely compromised by any leakage from the stage sound and just turning it up will destroy the users ears.

Whether you use isolation headphones or IEM's, your success will depend on the mix.  This gets into the area of art as do most critical technical matters.  The usual approach is a stereo mix with some "ambient" sound mixed in so it will have a more natural sound.  But none of this works as well as it should without ISOLATION.

Did I mention isolation?????  

Timothy C. Lee:
I would recommend the vic firth headphones, or the metrophone type.  Which are basically rifle/gun ear protection with speakers inside.  The regular open-ear type headphones from all the manufactuers will have so much external sound leakage that the drummer will have to turn the headphones up so loud just to hear them.  I think this would be something that each drummer should invest in and it is really not the churches responsibility.

Tim

Tim Padrick:
The Extreme Headphones EX29 also have very high isolation.  They sound quite good - a little polite in the highs perhaps, but I prefer that to the usual steely top end.

Lee Buckalew:
I think that the EX25 sounds better than the EX29 (although both sound good).  Both exceed the sound quality of the Sony 7506's that have become a low cost standard.  Also, The EX25's cost about $10.00 less per pair than the Sony's normal street price.  Also, the Extreme Isolation products are assembled in the U.S. (in St. Louis actually) and shortly will be manufactured here again as well.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Tim Padrick:
Lee Buckalew wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 10:34
I think that the EX25 sounds better than the EX29 (although both sound good).  Both exceed the sound quality of the Sony 7506's that have become a low cost standard.  Also, The EX25's cost about $10.00 less per pair than the Sony's normal street price.  Also, the Extreme Isolation products are assembled in the U.S. (in St. Louis actually) and shortly will be manufactured here again as well.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Do you know which versions you've heard?  I don't know about the 25, but there have been three versions of the 29.  I upgraded my V2 to V3, and the sound is much better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version