ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Help  (Read 13908 times)

Aaron McQueen

Re: Some Help
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 05:23:44 PM »

Kevin Wilson wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 16:18

Yes - the computer is being used for playback as well...  we were routing the playback in through an additional channel.  

What would be a better way to set this up?

Yeah, like Dick said you need two machines.  This is why the digital recording is working.  Why not keep using it?
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Kevin Wilson

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »

Aaron McQueen wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 17:23

Yeah, like Dick said you need two machines.  This is why the digital recording is working.  Why not keep using it?

It is dropping the recording levels after the first few minutes.  My thought was to just eliminate it and go straight to computer... but what you guys are saying makes sense.  

Guess I will try to figure out what is wrong with the digital recorder instead.
Kevin

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »

Sounds like it may be a gain stage problem to me.  There is a switch that changes the solo meters from pfl to afl. What it is set to may give you a hint as to where the hot signal is comming from.

As others have suggested you should stick with the recorder till you can get a separate computer for record and playback.

Sidney.Pilien

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »

What's the level at the 2 track return master? Is the solo mode switched to AFL? Should be set to PFL and the record level to the computer set at the 2 track return master.

At solo mode, you can only monitor the levels through headphones or monitor out. Don't pay attention to the meters.

You need to monitor the record levels at the computer and set the levels from the 2 track return master.

Playback from the computer is fine. Why do you need another machine when you are playing it back from the drive anyway?

BTW is that suck knob for real?  

Sidney Pilien  

As Schultze would say "I know nutting!"

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »

[quote title=Sidney Pilien wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 20:58 Why do you need another machine when you are playing it back from the drive anyway?[/quote]
Because he also wants to record to the computer.

as to the recorder. Some have an automatic level control which could when it gets a loud note all of the sudden lower the level. I would check for that setting.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 03:14:32 AM »

Kevin Wilson wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 22:46

Aaron McQueen wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 17:23

It is dropping the recording levels after the first few minutes.  My thought was to just eliminate it and go straight to computer... but what you guys are saying makes sense.  

Guess I will try to figure out what is wrong with the digital recorder instead.

Which digital recorder? You seem to not understand the value of specific information. Do you not undertand that there are more than one kind of digital recorder and more than one kind of console in the world and that they vary significantly?

I've never seen a recorder with ALC that took 2 minutes to adjust itself, The usual time delay is about instantaneous.

When you say that the reocrding levels are dropping, how does that correlate with the loudness in the room, or changes in the signal source?

Kevin Wilson

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »

OK - sorry for such choppy info... Im trouble shooting as I explain and forget to provide all the details.

Currently we are recording the teachings through a wireless lapel mic (audio tech 600) and into a Mackie 3204 VLZ board.  We have the signal coming out of the Tape Out and into a Marantz PMD660 solid state recorder.  Each week we transfer the recording from the 2 GB card into the computer - edit - then post to website.  (We do not do CD's - church people go straight to the site or itunes to download for themselves).  Upon reviewing the recording the past few weeks we have noticed the sound dropping out between 3-5 minute mark.  It is fine until then - but then reduced to almost nothing. (This is during normal voice recording... nothing different in volume then normal - and there appears to be a bit of residual volume still bleeding through).  Obviously this wont work.

We have an HP media center set up in a different area (about 10 feet from the sound booth).  So - my initial thought was to bypass the digital recorder and go straight from the Tape Out into the computer.  

This is where my issues arose.

When plugging into the computer from the Tape Out - the signal VU meters on the board are maxed out.  The recording works and sound fine... We do use the same computer for playback - routed into the Tape In connection.  (Unplugging this does nothing to eliminate the high meter levels).

The problem with this is that I have very inexperienced sound people and the maxed out levels would only confuse them (beyond the fact that it just doesnt seem correct).

The Tape Out level is set at 9:00 and the Solo Mode is set to PFL.

So here it is in a nutshell.

1.  Would it be more beneficial to bypass the Marantz and go straight into the computer?  If so - how do I correct the meter issue? Also - would the sound loss while transferring the distance from the board to the computer make the recording worthless?

2.  If sticking with the Marantz is the best way - what could be causing the sound to drop out?

3.  Are there suggestions on a better way to do this as a whole?  I am the Pastor and have the budget to correct this - but want to be sensible and make a wise choice for our current needs.

Many thanks to everyone who is helping with this.

Kevin
Kevin

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »

What are the specific connections being used.
Out of the console to what connector on what cable (wired how if it's adapting different types).
What connector is being used to input to the computer?

Also the same for the feeds from the computer back to the console.  
Please include any adapters in between.

The best guess was an electronic feedback loop but you have said that even if you disconnect the playback from the computer to the console the meters still max out.
Have you disconnected the cable at both the computer and console ends to try this?

You may have some wiring adapter or other device improperly wired so you are backfeeding something.from the computer to the console via the console tape out.

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Sidney.Pilien

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »

As far as I can see, you have everything set up properly. Prior to this, you had no problems so I'm assuming everything was fine until now and the only complaint is that the recording is dropping out.

The only source of this issue is at the recorder. Since your sound people is inexperienced, I wouldn't switch over to another media yet and stick to what you have for now.

I'm assuming
A.you have a y cable connected: dual rca out (tape out from mixer) to 1/8" trs or stereo in (recorder). After about 5 munutes it drops out.

B. As an alternative, you tried to record through the computer so upon connecting it, the meter at the mixer pegs out. If so, solve the recorder issue first.

Try this-
1. Is the card full? Try a new one.
2. Is the recorder on batteries? If so, use the power adapter or change the batteries.
3. Do you have a cd or mp3 player plugged in the the mixer? Record from that and  
    monitor the record indicator and see if it drops out.

Sidney Pilien  

As Schultze would say "I know nutting!"

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 01:15:35 AM »

Kevin Wilson wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 08:09

When plugging into the computer from the Tape Out - the signal VU meters on the board are maxed out.  The recording works and sound fine... We do use the same computer for playback - routed into the Tape In connection.  (Unplugging this does nothing to eliminate the high meter levels).

Double-check that the line going into the PC is connected to a LINE IN jack (usually blue) and not a MIC jack (usually pink). Some MIC jacks can backfeed voltage into the other device's output (your mixer) and that could cause the problem. If it indeed is plugged into the LINE IN, you may have a faulty sound card in the PC or a faulty cable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 01:15:35 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.