ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrovoice EVI15 experiences  (Read 16029 times)

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
Re: Electrovoice EVI15 experiences
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 12:00:01 AM »

Bruce Burke wrote on Fri, 10 December 2010 18:47

The speaker was more than loud enough and had nice bass output. We never felt we needed a sub.

-Bruce

That would depend on a persons expectations of how much low end they want.

Bruce Burke

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 08:14:50 AM »

Kent Thompson wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 00:00

The speaker was more than loud enough and had nice bass output. We never felt we needed a sub.

-Bruce

The guy asked for experiences and he got mine, yours may be different.

In the 10 years I operated the system after installing it and tuning it to the room, the speaker handled everything thrown at it from the organ, to recordings, to guest concerts, as well as the usual preaching on Sunday.

-Bruce

Brad Weber

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »

Bruce Burke wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 08:14

-Bruce

In the 10 years I operated the system after installing it and tuning it to the room, the speaker handled everything thrown at it from the organ, to recordings, to guest concerts, as well as the usual preaching on Sunday.

-Bruce

Bruce, when you say your situation was similar does that include the size of the space and congregation, the apparently poor acoustics Andrew noted and the system being used for contemporary music including bass, piano and keys?

This seems to hit on a common issue and one which your last paragraph addresses.  When anyone offers that something worked well for them or didn't work well for them that opinion is usually based on their specific application and expectations.  However, what works well for a church that runs acoustic guitar, speech and vocal run through the system may not work for a church that routinely runs 20dB higher levels with kick drum, bass and keys run through the system.  What provides good intelligibility in a well controlled acoustical environment may not in a problematic environment.  And so on.  Subjective opinions can be invaluable, but that value is maximized when an associated basis and context is clearly defined.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »

My comment was not meant to belittle your assesment of the speaker or how well it has worked in your situation. Was just trying to say it may not be adequate for some people's useage.

Dick Rees

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 10:06

Bruce, when you say your situation was similar does that include the size of the space and congregation, the apparently poor acoustics Andrew noted and the system being used for contemporary music including bass, piano and keys?

This seems to hit on a common issue and one which your last paragraph addresses.  When anyone offers that something worked well for them or didn't work well for them that opinion is usually based on their specific application and expectations.  However, what works well for a church that runs acoustic guitar, speech and vocal run through the system may not work for a church that routinely runs 20dB higher levels with kick drum, bass and keys run through the system.  What provides good intelligibility in a well controlled acoustical environment may not in a problematic environment.  And so on.  Subjective opinions can be invaluable, but that value is maximized when an associated basis and context is clearly defined.

Brad....

You've hit the nail squarely on the head......as usual.  

Bruce Burke

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 10:06

Bruce Burke wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 08:14

-Bruce

-Bruce

You're really good at making bad assumptions about what I have written, as this isn't the first time you've done it. If it wasn't similar, I wouldn't have said so. And similar, doesn't mean exact - so don't try and split that hair.

-Bruce

Brad Weber

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »

Bruce Burke wrote on Sat, 18 December 2010 12:47

You're really good at making bad assumptions about what I have written, as this isn't the first time you've done it. If it wasn't similar, I wouldn't have said so. And similar, doesn't mean exact - so don't try and split that hair.

Bruce, I asked for clarification which is pretty much the antithesis of making an assumption.  "Similar" can be very broadly interpreted so it seemed to make sense to clarify what was similar or not between the two situations.  It also seemed a good opportunity to address the point in general.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Andrew Cupples

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »

Bruce, thanks for sharing your subjective experiences, I was looking for that sort of hands-on info. Brad, thanks for your objectivity. Both opinions are valuable to me, so let's just keep it clean.
Thanks,
Andrew

Bruce Burke

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 02:33:13 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Sat, 18 December 2010 18:21

Bruce Burke wrote on Sat, 18 December 2010 12:47

Bruce, I asked for clarification which is pretty much the antithesis of making an assumption.  "Similar" can be very broadly interpreted so it seemed to make sense to clarify what was similar or not between the two situations.  It also seemed a good opportunity to address the point in general.

Well, whether you realized or not, you basically said I didn't read what was written, then you appeared to lecture me and imply that I made claims that I didn't make.

-Bruce

Brad Weber

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 09:00:58 AM »

Bruce Burke wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 14:33

Well, whether you realized or not, you basically said I didn't read what was written, then you appeared to lecture me and imply that I made claims that I didn't make.

That's not at all what I did, in fact that seems to be more what you did to Kent in the response to which I was replying, but this is not helping anyone.

What I was trying to do was to ask you to clarify how your situation was similar to, or might differ from, Andrew's situation.  And I used where you started to address how the use was relevant to point out to the forum in general how important that type of information can be.  Since you made a specific recommendation, it would still help to get back to the point and address just how similar your situation really is to Andrew's and why that might make the EVI-15 a good choice or not.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 09:00:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.