ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need replacement  (Read 3922 times)

Christy L Manoppo (okky)

need replacement
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:30:04 AM »

last sunday, both 1st service and 2nd service went kinda harsh. Probably due to the temperature drop.. it's like somebody turn the 1-4kHz up..

so I decided to make an EQ / board reset. While doing this.. I also decided to take a peek inside our church board, and make some jumper re-assignments over there..

GL2400, opened up..

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3185/gl2400inside1.jpg

Then while I was looking for the jumpers. I found this!

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2609/gl2400insideburn.jpg

no good.. That's why Our 3rd bus (aux3, groups3, matrix3) is down

Q is..

1. If I detach that card, will the console still working normally while I look for a replacement card?

2. Where I can obtain a replacement card for this. as I can use the extra bus for monitor duties...

nb. After the eq's, DSP and board reset.. 3rd service sounds awesome! Glad to do this!
Christy L Manoppo
Coordinator for AVL Dept,
Bethany Indonesian Church of GOD,
Philadelphia, PA

Perfect? we can't. Excellent? We can.

Matthias Heitzer

Re: need replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »

Quote:

nb. After the eq's, DSP and board reset.. 3rd service sounds awesome! Glad to do this!
then somebody most probaply really turned the 1-4 k up.

If all of this cards outputs a dead, you won't lose any additional functionality if you take the card out.

Do you know anything about the history of those 2 burned 10 Ohm resistors?

I'm not sure cause i don't know the schematics of this bord, but i guess our fried friends are somewhere in the path of the railvoltage of this pcb's op amps. They seem to limit the current draw of the capacitors nearby and the caps most probaply smoothen the railvoltages. Since the pair of resistors at the other side of the caps look great, I'd replace the burned resistors and check the caps for short circuit and if they have the same capacity as their neighbours.
Looks like there is enopugh space to do this without even taking out the card.

I'm from Germany,so please excuse my bad english.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:36:15 AM »

Christy L  Manoppo (okky) wrote on Wed, 24

Q is..

1. If I detach that card, will the console still working normally while I look for a replacement card?

If you don't need the third bus, then you can repair this at your leisure.

Quote:

2. Where I can obtain a replacement card for this. as I can use the extra bus for monitor duties...

Check with the nearest warranty station for the console, or the console manufacturer directly.

Quote:

If the two resistors are 10 ohm resistors, then they were probably put in place to act like fuses. They fry to prevent further damage.  They might be on the power side, or the grounding side.

Possible sources of problem might include something like plugging an line output to a mic input that ahs phantom power applied, or inadvertently connecting the line output to a power source, whether AC power, or speaker power.

Other possibilities - a transistor or IC on the board shorted out and was drawing way too much current from the power supply. Sacrificial resistors like these are optional, and are a sign of a careful, conservative design.

Christy L Manoppo (okky)

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 12:33:21 AM »

@matthias
nobody turned the 1-4kHz up.. my assumption was the cold ambient air. Our PA wasn't great at all (EON's). At normal/summer temps (65-70) was "okay". But starting winter (60F), those 1-4kHz seems to be more apparent.

I don't know the history of those resistors. But one night when I was mixing, (drums were on groups 3), suddenly drums are not in the mix. That's when I know something is wrong. Well In truth, the 3rd bus was down since 3 years ago.. Glad that this didn't spread and  that the other bus is still hanging well.

@Arnold
do you have any contacts? I already contacted the manufacturer directly but still no response. I assumed its because of the holidays.

Again, many thanks and God bless...
Christy L Manoppo
Coordinator for AVL Dept,
Bethany Indonesian Church of GOD,
Philadelphia, PA

Perfect? we can't. Excellent? We can.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »

You don't need a new channel strip.  Most likely you only have a opamp that is shorted-and that is why the resistors burnt.

Take it to a local electronics repair shop and they should be able to easily find the  defective opamp and replace the resistors and you will be ready to go.

Not a big deal.  Parts should only be a couple of bucks and a labor charge.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.