ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need some assistance with speaker placement  (Read 4159 times)

Lawrence O'Meally

I need some assistance with speaker placement
« on: October 16, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »

Hello Guys,
I am designing a system for my church and I need some help with speaker placement.
Im wondering if I should either
a. Hang from the ceiling two speakers on top of each other (on either side), and have them angled down to cover the entire length of the church.
b. One pair on the side walls just after the stage, and another pair half way down the building (time delayed).

I plan on using Electro-Voice Eliminator i E 15", and I will be driving them with 2 QSC GX3.

Any suggestions as to placement??
Pictures are here: http://s859.photobucket.com/albums/ab151/ampyute/Church%20Bu ilding%20Photos/

Thanks

Jeff Broadhead

Re: I need some assistance with speaker placement
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination (I have a similar post), but judging by the dimensions of that sanctuary, you should look at the Electro Voice EVI-15.  It is designed to a 1(H):2(W):3(L) ratio of coverage. So if you mount it 20 feet up, it covers an area 40ft wide and 60ft deep. Just a thought.

George S Dougherty

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »

With the length there, I'd be inclined to look at a delayed pair further back from the mains.  A pair up front and center top angled to cover each half of the room and aimed downward to cover the front half or more.  A second pair further back and aimed to cover where necessary.

As much as possible use a speaker selected for its pattern to put sound down into the congregation rather than all over the side and back walls.

Frank DeWitt

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »

If I were in your position I would hire someone with the software and experience to model the room with EASE.  Next I would ask that person about a single source mounted tight to the first Steel beams back from the cross.  I think your height gives you some real advantages.

Frank

Rob Connelly

• http://connellyaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »

I would also have some concern with the EV eliminator i E 15's because they are not meant to be flown.  EV makes some great boxes for the money, but be sure that whichever box you choose is designed for the use you intend.  Be VERY wary of flying boxes not meant to be flown.  You likely would benefit greatly from a qualified audio consultant helping you come up with a plan.

Rob

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:06:20 PM »

Selecting a speaker model usually goes hand-in-hand with selecting the speaker location and aiming angle, so as the system designer what speaker locations and aiming did you assume when selecting the particular speaker product that you selected?  Or are the EV Eliminators already existing and now you're trying to figure out how to best employ them?

I guess the first question might be whether you really need or want stereo.  Just having speakers on either side does not make stereo, all the listeners need to have the proper relationship in what they hear from the left and right speakers for stereo to be effective.  And if you don't need or can't get effective stereo for all listeners, then maybe a mono system would be more effective.

Rob made a very good point that the EV Eliminator i boxes are really meant to be pole or floor mounted, so for those spaekers flying or mounting on a some common types of wall mounts is not really a practical option.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:06:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.