ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheaper AVIOM alternative  (Read 8504 times)

Jordon King

Cheaper AVIOM alternative
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:00:57 PM »

Greetings,
A few of you may have already seen this, but I did a search and didn't see anything related in this forum so I thought I would share.  Our church has been wanting to go in ear.  We have raise some funds and were going to purchase some equipment to do so.  We were going to buy 4 wireless Sennheiser setups and a new mixer with more aux sends to do so.  We wanted to do the AVIOM but was a little out of our budget.

I ran across a product from FurmanSound.com.  The HDS-6e and HR-6's.  Most people use them for studio purposed, but I'm going to use it in a live setup.  Basically use a main stereo mix from the board, Keyboard, Drums, Bass, & guitar.  If you have a smaller band like we have should work out pretty well.  

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Phil Rowley

Re: Cheaper AVIOM alternative
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »

Looks like a neat product at a fraction of the cost of Aviom.  The only initial drawback appears to be lack of inputs.  Their upper "HRM-16" model is about the same price point as Aviom and appears to have some type of "printer style" cable to connect into other units.  Keep in mind that Aviom's, despite the higher price tag, are scalable and adaptable to different setups (PoE vs. self-powered units, potential to add multiple units with little add'tl costs later, etc.)  Think of it as a total system investment and figure out what it would take to, say, double your existing capacity.  Those are your true costs.
Volunteer FOH, Monitor and Recording Engineer.  Check out my bio for further details.

Jordon King

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:44:21 PM »

Well I spent 715.00 shipped on the Main unit, 4 remote units(1 for each of the band members), 500 feet of network cable, and all the miscellaneous to get it set up.  I know AVIOM is a lot better, but a lot more expensive.  We'll see how it works out.  I should be receiving the rest of the shipments tomorrow.  I'll try to get it setup by the weekend and post a short review.

Jordon King

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:48:56 PM »

Well this has worked out pretty well for us so far.  4 Mono mixes w/ 1 stereo mix.  Sound quality seems good.  Drummer, Keyboard player, and guitar player love it.  I'm having a hard time pleasing the bass player.  

I tried out some of the patches he was using from his Boss GT-10b and didn't really care for them.  I made some adjustments to the compression settings in the patches and I feel like it made a pretty big difference.  We're going direct out from his GT-10b so I may try miking his amp if he doesn't like the changes I've made.

Dick Rees

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »

Jordon....

Get a split from the bass before it hits anything.

..............>dry signal
Bass>DI<
..............>processed signal

It will take 2 channels, but you can give him what he wants in the monitor mix and use the direct signal from the bass to go to the house processed to suit your idea of what works in the mix.

DR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.