ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker recommendations  (Read 16519 times)

Tom Young

please read this post
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »

Please start a new thread.

Thanks-
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Gary Creely

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
Re: Speaker recommendations
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »

Jonathan Johnson wrote on Sun, 17 October 2010 02:07

You may be able to get a different lens for the projector that would allow it to be moved closer to the screen.

An additional speaker would be cheaper.  

Jeff,

Also you could do 2 JBL AC2264 (or something like them), that would be a little more than your budget, but give you a little more control and head room. Although the EV would technically cover the space you are asking a lot of a single 12". I would want two boxes in there to handle a full worship team.

A good budget speaker is also the Community Veris 12, which you could get below your budget.

In terms of active or passive it is personal preference. If implemented correctly either will do a nice job.

I would lean toward a 60X40 dispersion if you use 2. That may rule out a lot of the low end powered options because they tend to be wider coverage.

On a personal preference note I think those EVs are visually hideous.
Gary Creely
STEEPLE SOUND
http://www.steeplesoundavl.com

Mark Mattocks

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »

Jeff,

Arraying 2 60-degree speakers in your space makes no sense; there is no way that this will not add comb filtering and reflections and decrease intelligibility.  The coverage pattern of the EVI speaker works better in your room, but they will not completely cover the width of the seating area.  Although the ceiling height is 16', a seated listener's head is at about 4', giving you an effective height of 12'.  The speaker will still work with decent coverage and with the existing S700 amp providing 150-200 watts, will put out between 100 and 105 dB to the congregation.

The idea that more speakers is always better and louder is wrong on many levels.  Fewer, higher powered, more efficient, more directional speakers in the right place in the room will always sound better than just putting up more boxes.  

Brad Weber

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 02:20:46 PM »

Mark Mattocks wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 12:26

The idea that more speakers is always better and louder is wrong on many levels.  Fewer, higher powered, more efficient, more directional speakers in the right place in the room will always sound better than just putting up more boxes.

How about neither "always" being true?
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 14:20

How about neither "always" being true?

True.

Sometimes more speakers is better-sometimes not. Given the choice-if a single loudspeaker will provide even coverage and enough SPL, then yes I would agree with less.  But if a single loudspeaker can't do the above-then more is better.

Sometimes higher power is good-but only if it doesn't sacrifice sensitivity.  Sometimes higher power capacity just means more distortion and brings on a whole new set of "problems".

Higher efficency is only good if it has enough capacity to achieve the target SPL.

More directional is only good if the directivity will cover the target area with an even coverage.  Sometimes a wider coverage loudspeaker will perform better than several more narrow coverage ones.

There are all kinds of different rooms that require all kinds of different solutions.

As you know you cannot generalize about what is best.  It is only best for a specific situation.

One size does not fit all. ALthough many believe that it does Sad
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Mark Mattocks

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »

You got me.

It is almost always wrong to say always.  And the use of single source versus multiple source systems is entirely situation-dependent - my previous statement on that matter was not well thought-out on my part.

Gary Creely

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »

I am pretty sure nobody was suggesting that. Keep in mind there is a projector in the way of where one speaker would have been flown in this instance. As far as reflections and comb filtering there are lots of options to mitigate that.  

My contention is that with a full worship band a single passive 12" will quick get labored and have a difficult time keeping up even in a room of that size.
Gary Creely
STEEPLE SOUND
http://www.steeplesoundavl.com

Brad Weber

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »

Gary Creely wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 12:09

My contention is that with a full worship band a single passive 12" will quick get labored and have a difficult time keeping up even in a room of that size.

That may be true but it is not necessarily a factor of it being a single passive, 12" speaker but rather of the ability that speaker to support that application.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.