ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Recordings  (Read 6601 times)

Don Jenkins

CD Recordings
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »

Hello,I am new to the Forum. My question is concerning Recording our Church Service with a Laptop and Audacity.
We can only get effeciently approximatly 70 minutes on the CDs. We record the service with Audacity then export the file as an MP3 to itunes then burn the CD. Is this the most we can expect ot get on a CD as our Service is 90 to 100 minutes in length.

Jonathan Johnson

Re: CD Recordings
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:48:14 PM »

Under normal circumstances, you should be able to record up to 80 minutes of audio on a CD-R, regardless of the format used on the file the CD is burned from. This is because when you burn a CD, it is rendered into an uncompressed digital audio stream in the Compact Disc Digital Audio format, also known as "Red Book." Among other things, this standard specifies that the maximum playing time is 79.8 minutes.

It is possible to "overburn" a CD to get as much as 99 minutes of music onto it. However, you may not be able to play back an entire overburned CD on all players.

There are two standards for audio CDs: older 74- and newer 80-minute. If you are only getting 70 minutes on a CD, you may have the older 74-minute CDs, or your burner may not be capable of burning the full capacity of the CD. I'm not sure what limitations iTunes may have.

For highest quality, export from Audacity as a WAV file -- this is an uncompressed format. MP3 is a lossy, compressed format. Then burn the WAV files to a CD. I've never used iTunes, so I can't help you with that; I use CDBurnerXP. Another useful product is EZTrackerCD. It has the ability to simultaneously record an MP3 file for uploading to your website and WAV files (one for each track) to burn to a CD.

Ultimately, if you want to fit it all on one CD, you will probably have to shorten your service or drop those copyrighted songs for which you haven't purchased a mechanical license.  Rolling Eyes

George S Dougherty

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »

Agreed with Johnathan, are your sermons running 90-100min?  Unless the songs are all public domain you're violating copyright law by including them on the CD without permission.  Guessing you haven't bothered to get that, as it seems to be a common error among churches.  Typically only the teaching portion of the service is released as that's the most relevant portion for someone that wasn't there.

Don Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »

Thanks for the info guys,however we have a CCLI license for any songs so that should not be a problem. It's just fitting the whole 90 minute service on a CD.

Dick Rees

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »

Don Jenkins wrote on Wed, 13 October 2010 12:16

Thanks for the info guys,however we have a CCLI license for any songs so that should not be a problem. It's just fitting the whole 90 minute service on a CD.

You'll notice on the package when you buy your CD blanks that they are 80 minute media, or whatever.  It's stated right on the package. There is no way you can get more than that on there.  

I "edit" the service on the fly, fading in the prelude, fading out the postlude and leaving out the weekly announcements as that "dates" the recording in a manner not necessary for future listeners.  Fade-ins/outs can be your friend in this regard.  It makes for a smooth listening program, does not really dump anybodys material and helps you cut out minutes of "dead air" within the service.  You can save a good ten minutes this way.  If the service runs longer.....you're sunk.

For those congregation members who have and use computers you can simply upload the audio files to the church website and give people the option of downloading all or part of the service.  I usually make the core of the service (text readings, sermon and hymns on either side) one separate track/file.  The rest is gravy, so to speak.

Thomas Harkin

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:00:51 PM »

Don Jenkins wrote on Wed, 13 October 2010 11:16

Thanks for the info guys,however we have a CCLI license for any songs so that should not be a problem.

The churches that I work with all have the CCLI license, but only for performance and display of lyrics.  None of them distribute recordings of the music service.

Thomas

Chris Penny

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »

Thomas Harkin wrote on Thu, 14 October 2010 07:00

Thanks for the info guys,however we have a CCLI license for any songs so that should not be a problem.

The churches that I work with all have the CCLI license, but only for performance and display of lyrics.  None of them distribute recordings of the music service.

Thomas

The CCLI licence allows the following (Australian Version, but from memory US version is similar):
http: //www.ccli.com.au/licences/church-copyright-licence/what-can -i-do.cfm

Record your worship services (audio or video) provided you only record live music. Accompaniment tracks cannot be reproduced. You may charge up to $5 each for audiocassette tapes and CDs, and $15 each for videotapes and DVDs.

In the fine print it also states this is limited to 15% of the church size you are licensed for and you pretty much only distribute to church members. This is designed to allow for for the limited production of copies for shut-ins etc because as we all know there is more to a service than the sermon.
Chris Penny
Lead Sound Person
Caringbah Anglican Church
http://www.stphils.org

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »

Thomas Harkin wrote on Wed, 13 October 2010 21:00

Thomas

The CCLI allows you to sell recordings of your live performances to members:

"Record your worship services (audio or video) provided you only record live music. Accompaniment tracks cannot be reproduced. You may charge up to $4 each for audiocassette tapes and CDs, and $12 each for videotapes and DVDs."

"(It is OK to distribute recordings to shut-ins, missionaries or others outside the church."

For more details please see the CCLI web site.)

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 07:54:56 PM »

Keep in mind that CCLI typically is for audio recordings and would not extend to posting audio on a website or audio with video.  In most cases each of these requires separate licensing.
Also keep in mind that it is for CCLI covered songs only and that CCLI covers standard church services not things like Christmas or Easter productions or other special events like concerts.
It also does not cover playing music out in the foyer/lobby or for events such as dinners, etc.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Frank DeWitt

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »

We use EZtrackerCD http://eztrackercd.com/  It provides a big "push button" to change tracks on the fly.  We keep track of what is on the tracks as the service goes along and then if we run long we can decide what parts to cut before burning the CD. Also EZTrackerCD has a squeeze feature that will let you put a bit more then 80 min on a CD

It also will record in WAV and MP3 at the same time so you can make one recording for CDs and another for the web.

Frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.