ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker recommendations - general purpose  (Read 5130 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Speaker recommendations - general purpose
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:41:42 AM »

Looking to get a pair of powered (active) speakers, probably 12" full-range, for portable use.

I want these speakers to be "all purpose," able to be used as monitor wedges or on pole stands. They could be used as FOH mains or as delay fills or for piping sound into overflow areas.

I currently have a pair of Yamaha S112IV 12" speakers driven by a Mackie FR Series M-1400 power amp that I use as my FOH mains. They are working fine -- I have no plans to retire them. Even so, I need some more speakers to round out my system and want the versatility of powered speakers. I realize there are some drawbacks to powered speakers, but I'm willing to live with that.

The system is use portable -- not permanently installed -- in venues from 100 to 500 indoors and outdoors, mostly for spoken word. When used for music, the venue is usually less than 200. Music style is praise & worship with guitar & keyboard, no drums (yet).

Any recommendations?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
Re: Speaker recommendations - general purpose
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »

We are very happy with Yorkville NX55's. They work well as monitors and we use them on speaker stands for smaller events. The low end can be a bit boomy without EQ, but once that is tamed with a touch of EQ, they make a "good" all around speaker. One of many possibilities.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »

Budget?  Any specific preferences in terms of horn pattern, output levels, etc.?

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:48:54 PM »

Budget?  Any specific preferences in terms of horn pattern, output levels, etc.?
Budget -- top end around $600 each.

Horn pattern, output levels -- well, I guess that's part of the advice I'm looking for. Remember, it's general-purpose. The venue could be long and narrow or it could be short and wide. The ceiling could be low or high or it could be used outdoors. The backdrop could be a stage or it could be the distant horizon. What it will not be is flown overhead; as FOH or fill may be up to 8 feet off the floor. There's a practical limit to SPL at that height; we don't want bleeding ears in the front row. That's where the delay fill would come in.

The audience is not expecting Carnegie Hall, but I'd like it to sound at least somewhat better than my shower.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »

Okay, a maximum of $600 each for powered cabs with a 12" woofer puts you in Mackie SRM450v2, Yamaha MSR400, Yorkville NX25P and Behringer/Harbinger range.  I can't really offer much on those, hopefully you'll get repsonses from someone having more experience with those models.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »

How about the EV ELX112P?  I haven't heard one myself, but I've heard good things about them.  They seem to be right at $599 from online retailers.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:59:52 AM »

How about the EV ELX112P?  I haven't heard one myself, but I've heard good things about them.  They seem to be right at $599 from online retailers.
That might be a very good choice.  Availability has been limited but it looks like more people are starting to offer them and showing them as in stock.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:59:52 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.