Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound Archive

sermons on cd are too quiet

(1/7) > >>

Shad Hall:
hi,

when we record the sermon, the audio is super quiet when played back on a laptop or regular cd player. actually, it's quiet even when played back over the church sound system, but since a larger amp exists, i am able to increase the volume enough to be able to hear it.

we are using a mackie 808s powered mixer [details: product pg contains PDF docs].

as for the cd recorder, we are using the tascam cc-222 [details: this link appears to be the updated model].

this is how i have it set up and i wonder if i'm doing something wrong:

mackie 808s TAPE OUT > tascam cc-222 LINE INPUT 1 IN
input volume on tascam is maxed out.

what am i doing wrong?
thanks

Tom Young:
The level of the sermon is always lower than the music.

Your best bet is to feed the recorder from an aux bus (postfader, post-EQ) on the mixer so that you can increases the pastor's mic independently of the mix you have for the speaker system. It also helps to compress the sermon recording slightly.

Shad Hall:
Tom Young wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 14:36
The level of the sermon is always lower than the music.

Your best bet is to feed the recorder from an aux bus (postfader, post-EQ) on the mixer so that you can increases the pastor's mic independently of the mix you have for the speaker system. It also helps to compress the sermon recording slightly.

i totally agree with you and do so at a different venue, but this board doesn't have individual auxiliaries, so no individual channel control to send to a mix. however, for the compression, i'll definitely make sure that get applied per your suggestion.

Dick Rees:
Shad....

Go out and get yourself an EbTech "Line Level Shifter" and place it between the outputs of your board and the CD burner.  You are getting a -10 "consumer level" output and the burner is looking for a +4 "pro level" input signal.  I have this same issue with my Tascam burner and boosting the signal with the level shifter allow me to actually have the use of the input control on the burner.

As a bonus feature you will also tranformer isolate the two units which can be a good safeguard against any hum, buzz or other noise on the recording.

DR

Shad Hall:
Dick Rees wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 17:11
Shad....

Go out and get yourself an EbTech "Line Level Shifter" and place it between the outputs of your board and the CD burner.  You are getting a -10 "consumer level" output and the burner is looking for a +4 "pro level" input signal.  I have this same issue with my Tascam burner and boosting the signal with the level shifter allow me to actually have the use of the input control on the burner.

As a bonus feature you will also tranformer isolate the two units which can be a good safeguard against any hum, buzz or other noise on the recording.

DR

got it! thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version