Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound Archive

Rechargeable AA batteries for UHF wireless mics?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jonathan Johnson:
Darin Brunet wrote on Sun, 18 July 2010 22:43
BTW, since I remote mount my receivers, the transmitters only go for about 15-20 ft. YMMV.

Transmitter-to-receiver distance doesn't directly influence battery life, but I suppose that a weak battery would be more usable if the distance was short -- on an analog-tuned transmitter.

If your transmitter uses digital tuning, chances are good the unit will shut off when the voltage drops below the level necessary to operate the chips, and you won't notice much of a difference at all in transmission distance. Those same batteries that are too weak to operate the digital-tuning transmitter just might work OK for a while longer in an analog-tuning transmitter.

If the transmitter allows you to adjust the RF power output, you may be able to optimize the battery life.

Darin Brunet:
Jonathan Johnson wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 01:21
Darin Brunet wrote on Sun, 18 July 2010 22:43
BTW, since I remote mount my receivers, the transmitters only go for about 15-20 ft. YMMV.

Transmitter-to-receiver distance doesn't directly influence battery life, but I suppose that a weak battery would be more usable if the distance was short -- on an analog-tuned transmitter.

If your transmitter uses digital tuning, chances are good the unit will shut off when the voltage drops below the level necessary to operate the chips, and you won't notice much of a difference at all in transmission distance. Those same batteries that are too weak to operate the digital-tuning transmitter just might work OK for a while longer in an analog-tuning transmitter.

If the transmitter allows you to adjust the RF power output, you may be able to optimize the battery life.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. I did not mean to imply that distance affects battery life. My poor choice of wording Thanks for the clarification! I do remote mount my receivers and amplifiers for other reasons... just NOT for battery life.
~DB

Arnold B. Krueger:
Darin Brunet wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 03:43

I was forced to do that with our previous Samson UHF diversity system. They all became illegal, and we replaced them with Shure SLX and AT 3000-based systems.

Remote mounting receivers is pretty nasty because you lose so much feedback about how the link is running. It eliminates the benefits of remote battery status indicators.

In retrospect, the lack of frequency agility was the probable cause of the range related problems that we had with the Samsons. Of course both of the new systems are frequency agile.

I've been able to simulate the same symptoms we had with the Samsons by picking the wrong frequencies with the new ATs. The Shures are self-setting, and never seem to put themselves onto troublesome frequencies.

Getting back to batteries, we've never risked rechargables. The improved battery life with the new equipment, and the switch to AAs is a tremendous benefit.

George S Dougherty:
I run the 15 minute charge Energizer types. I do a fresh charge on a Saturday and they're good for 3 services and about 5 hours of use through Wednesday. We pickup a new set every 6-12 months.  $12/4AA's

David Sharp:
I use these batteries:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/ansmann-2500-aa-low-d ischarge-nimhbrfour-batteries-per-pack-p-1880.html?SP_id=&am p;osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

With this charger:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/ansmann-energy-8-rech argeable-battery-chargerbrincludes-4-free-2850mah-ansmann-aa -batteriesbr1-eight-cell-ansmann-battery-holder-p-550.html?S P_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

In a Sennheiser G3. We've been using them for about 2 months no with no issues. I also use a 9v rechargeable in a Shure model handheld. Only issue I've had there is with a negative terminal detaching from one of the batteries.

- David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version