ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chirping sound  (Read 3562 times)

Pastor Brian Lewis

• http://www.newlifeanadarko.com
Chirping sound
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »

We had a small portable sound system that we were using, (new church plant) and it had an occasional chirping sound like a cricket when power was on.  Now we have our new (new to us, but used) sound system in place.  It too has this same sound.  Could this be some type of interference or ground problem?

Pastor Brian

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: Chirping sound
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:42:53 PM »

Pastor Brian Lewis wrote on Sat, 07 August 2010 09:56

We had a small portable sound system that we were using, (new church plant) and it had an occasional chirping sound like a cricket when power was on.  Now we have our new (new to us, but used) sound system in place.  It too has this same sound.  Could this be some type of interference or ground problem?

Pastor Brian

Cell phones.

-a
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Pastor Brian Lewis

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »

Never thought of that but makes sense, I have seen computers do it.  What can be done besides turn them off?

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »

FYI - it is not the cell phone, it is the audio equipment. Many devices, even those under the "Pro Audio" banner, exhibit such noise.

The easiest fix is to not allow cell phones to be on anywhere near the mixer which is the most susceptible point for such noise to be induced.

It would be very time consuming ($) to determine where in your system, including wiring, is there less than acceptable noise rejection/protection.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 06:41:42 PM »

Tom Young wrote on Sat, 07 August 2010 18:04

FYI - it is not the cell phone, it is the audio equipment. Many devices, even those under the "Pro Audio" banner, exhibit such noise.

The easiest fix is to not allow cell phones to be on anywhere near the mixer which is the most susceptible point for such noise to be induced.

It would be very time consuming ($) to determine where in your system, including wiring, is there less than acceptable noise rejection/protection.

My experience is that the most common place it gets into the system is via electret microphones like many lavs used on wireless mics, and the gooseneck mics used on lecterns. Many of the microphone manufacturers have RFI resistant versions on these mics, Audio Technica having addressed the problem first, but now Shure and Countryman among others have them.

This was a constant problem at a monthly business meeting I do where there was no way to get the bankers to turn off their phones and crackberries. Replacing the mics solved the porblem.

Mac

Pastor Brian Lewis

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »

We had this problem before we were using a wireless mic.  I actually think it might be interfering with my laptop which is hooked into our sound system.  

Pastor Brian Lewis

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »

Well it's not the cell phones.  They might be causing some interruption but when I was the only one there I turned mine off and it still chirped.  We also have some powered speakers like you hook up to a computer and I plugged them into the wall and even with no sound system hooked up they chirped, it must be something to do with the electrical in the building.  Any sugestions.  

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »

You might need a power conditioner. Also have an electrician or other qualified person verify proper grounding of all wall outlets that are in use.

Is the clicking rhythmic or intermittent?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.