ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Mixers... Considering possibilities  (Read 15201 times)

Lee Buckalew

Re: Digital Mixers... Considering possibilities
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »

Quote:

LOL.. Gimme a break!!!.... There is a level of service for every level of client and need...

Not everything is a full blown concert, nor can every client afford to pay for such... The $400-500 I might charge (or in some cases just expenses plus a love offering) for a days full of work would be more than worth it to many to have the sound system 'handled'...

Agreed.

Quote:

But I tell you the truth, there are a lot of small systems out there being rented hired out that offer a 'heck of a lot' less than I do, and the clients are very happy to have hired them.. Because it beats the heck out of hollering through a bull horn!

This is true and it's why Brad said

Quote:

ust please don't start trying to lead clients to believe that what you offer is comparable to what others offer when it is not.

Many of us see this when folks compare a 24 channel console and a 24 channel console but one is a Midas and the other is a Mackie.  Not apples and apples.  As long as gear is correctly represented, no problem.

Quote:

How many people do you know that go out and get 'insurance' for their 5G wedding or their easter sunrise service for their own small church?...

All churches that I personally know of have liability policies that cover all of these types of events.  As far as weddings, most venues insurance covers but, if you are privately contracted and one of your cables trips someone and they break an ankle, you may be liable.  This is something many smaller contractors struggle with even if it's not a requirement.  My recording partner's company has considerable insurance to cover a mic accidentally damaging a Stradivarius or some other multi million dollar instrument, this seemed a better option than having the company go bankrupt but, only after we had reached a certain size.

I personally have relatives who hired a local handyman to paint part of their house.  He needed the money, they were helping out somebody in the community, etc.  This man hit his head on the 150 year old basement doorframe that was undersized by current code (although, nothing required it to be larger due to it's age).  He required stitches, etc.  An attorney got ahold of this and the man won the case against my nearly 90 year old great grandfather. It cost him 10's of thousands of dollars because he tried to help somebody out and the guy didn't have the insurance he should have so, the liability transferred to my great grandfather.

Point is, we need to be careful even when helping out somebody because unforeseen problems can create huge unintended consequences.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mark Simpson

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »

Robert Whittemore wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 10:37

Mark Simpson wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 12:46

PS.. I report 'every' dime I make, even accounting for returned bottles and cans! So don't 'even' go there!

Once again...you were not accused of wrongdoing. You take everything as an attack. Relax.

I don't take 'everything' as an attack.. I'm just answering back the 'obvious' insinuations...

I understand the limitations of the medium.. but I am just very sensitive about arrogance and self righteousness, especially from those who bear His Name, because of the effect it has on others who are watching... Am I 'overreacting'? Possibly, but I'm not 'wrongly' reacting...

As much as 'following every law of man to a tee' is the pet peeve of some here, Christians exhibiting self righteous legalism is a pet peeve of mine, if not more so... It's obviously an oil and water dynamic going on here...

And I 'am' relaxed.... That I'm not 'too' is an assumption... And as harsh as my responses are, I do not let the sun set on my anger, and I do not hold grudges... But whenever this sort of stuff is leveled at me, I will 'definitely' point it out...

So, I've made my point.. Time to move on...

Mark Simpson

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »

Lee Buckalew wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 10:58

Quote:

LOL.. Gimme a break!!!.... There is a level of service for every level of client and need...

Not everything is a full blown concert, nor can every client afford to pay for such... The $400-500 I might charge (or in some cases just expenses plus a love offering) for a days full of work would be more than worth it to many to have the sound system 'handled'...

Agreed.

Quote:

But I tell you the truth, there are a lot of small systems out there being rented hired out that offer a 'heck of a lot' less than I do, and the clients are very happy to have hired them.. Because it beats the heck out of hollering through a bull horn!

This is true and it's why Brad said

Quote:

ust please don't start trying to lead clients to believe that what you offer is comparable to what others offer when it is not.

Many of us see this when folks compare a 24 channel console and a 24 channel console but one is a Midas and the other is a Mackie.  Not apples and apples.  As long as gear is correctly represented, no problem.

Quote:

How many people do you know that go out and get 'insurance' for their 5G wedding or their easter sunrise service for their own small church?...

All churches that I personally know of have liability policies that cover all of these types of events.  As far as weddings, most venues insurance covers but, if you are privately contracted and one of your cables trips someone and they break an ankle, you may be liable.  This is something many smaller contractors struggle with even if it's not a requirement.  My recording partner's company has considerable insurance to cover a mic accidentally damaging a Stradivarius or some other multi million dollar instrument, this seemed a better option than having the company go bankrupt but, only after we had reached a certain size.

I personally have relatives who hired a local handyman to paint part of their house.  He needed the money, they were helping out somebody in the community, etc.  This man hit his head on the 150 year old basement doorframe that was undersized by current code (although, nothing required it to be larger due to it's age).  He required stitches, etc.  An attorney got ahold of this and the man won the case against my nearly 90 year old great grandfather. It cost him 10's of thousands of dollars because he tried to help somebody out and the guy didn't have the insurance he should have so, the liability transferred to my great grandfather.

Point is, we need to be careful even when helping out somebody because unforeseen problems can create huge unintended consequences.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Lee, that becomes more of an issue if you actually have assets worth a lawyers time.. A person can walk past your house and trip over their own foot and the same thing can happen... If your house is worth taking (you have enough equity in it), then you have to weigh whether you want to insure it or not against all the people of this world who are not controlled by the Spirit of grace.. or if you owe money on the house, the bank will likely 'require' such insurance anyways..

At some point, you have to use good judgment in whom you want to do business with, and then trust God, that no matter what the world throws against you, He has your back..

I can not deal with the stress of worrying about all the things the world worries about... It is full of sinful and greedy people, I can't help that...

I just have to use common sense to approach each situation individually. taking into account where I and those I interact with are coming from...

Thanks for not piling on....

Mark Simpson

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:15 PM »

Robert Whittemore wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 10:36

Dick Rees wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 12:57

Mr Simpson.....

Sorry you're in such pain.  Please consider local professional help for your problems.

LOL! Seriously, if you are coming to this forum for help and opinions...don't get all riled up when someone tries to actually help you. You were given great advice and chose to go off the deep end instead of saying, "thank you".

Okay, thank you for implying that I am misrepresenting myself, and skirting business and tax laws, when I asked technical questions about a certain line of mixers...

Is that better? Very Happy

Robert Whittemore

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »

At least we can now all admit that it is a "business venture"...Smile

Mark Simpson

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 02:32:48 PM »

Lee Buckalew wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 10:58

LOL.. How many couples or small churches/ministries hiring a $500 a day sound guy/system would even know the difference?

Most of them, if I said I had a 24ch board, they'd say "What's that mean?" They 'maybe' would have heard of Mackie.. Midas, they would not have...

It'd be nice to own a Midas, and be able to advertise as such, but really, that sort of investment is only justified when also having the rest of the goods to go with it, and at that point, then 'yes' we are talking about a bonafied business venture...

Either that, or someone who 'really' has the addiction bad...

Robert Whittemore

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 02:34:56 PM »

I think you are right. The new law states that if using Mackie equipment...it does not constitute as running a business.

Mark Simpson

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 02:36:20 PM »

Robert Whittemore wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 11:26

At least we can now all admit that it is a "business venture"...Smile

I suppose that would depend on your meaning behind the word 'WE'...

I 'definitely' don't agree to 'that'... But you might get together with Brad and Dick and agree on 'that'.. But of course, just as is the case when several get together and all agree that "There is no God".. what you 'agree' on, has absolutely 'no bearing' on what I am actually 'doing' or what is actually 'true'...

Mark Simpson

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »

Robert Whittemore wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 11:34

I think you are right. The new law states that if using Mackie equipment...it does not constitute as running a business.

HaHa!

There are all kinds of levels of gear snobs.. I suppose one of the lowest levels would apply such a standard to "Berhinger Mixers"

A person that would apply such a label to Mackie Mixers is probably somewhat higher up the snob scale (depending on who you ask)

So, evidently, you are not at the absolute bottom of the scale, just slightly above it...

Very Happy

(They need some more emoticons around here.. like the two little smilies dueling it out with swords)

Mark Simpson

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »

Lee, I am more concerned with whether or not the church or org has insurance that covers 'my' stuff should someone run into it with a truck or some kids in their youth group decide they'd like to suddenly 'own' what I have, than someone suing me because they tripped on my mic cords..

Suing me, would be an exercise in futility... I have nothing worth suing for... Kind of a blood out of rock deal...

LOL...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.