ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: 700 range  (Read 9856 times)

Jonathan Johnson

Re: 700 range
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 01:11:56 AM »

Arnold B. Krueger wrote on Mon, 14 June 2010 14:50

Robert Whittemore wrote on Mon, 14 June 2010 19:03

I am just curious...is there anyone here who did not stop using their 700 range wireless mics last weekend? What, if any, issues or problems did you have?

We just barely finished our conversion in time, but I wouldn't expect much to change other than the law on June 1. As I see what has been said, the interference problem probably won't chnage dramatically on June 1. Instead, the probability of interference problems has been increasing for some time, and will continue to increase.

IOW, if anybody had new problems with interference last Sunday, it would be more like a coincidence than a certainty.

Exactly. It's not like the FCC can turn off a spectrum any more than the FAA could ground paper airplanes on September 12. What's more likely to happen is that those who ARE licensed to use the spectrum will gradually implement equipment in that spectrum. As more equipment uses the spectrum, the likelihood of interference will increase.

On the other hand, if someone who is licensed to use the spectrum turns on their legal device tomorrow in your area, and it happens to be the same frequency as your equipment, you will notice interference tomorrow.

Best thing to do is take advantage of a rebate if you can, and if you can't, just consider it a loss or cost of doing business. If you don't turn it in on a rebate program, your moral obligation is to render the equipment inoperable so no one can use it to intentionally or unintentionally break the law.

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 01:13:15 AM »

Or hope that someday the FCC will permit us to use that spectrum again.

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 10:33:25 AM »

Quote:

Or hope that someday the FCC will permit us to use that spectrum again.

Now that's wishful thinking.  The current broadband proposal actually would begin taking more of the lower spectrum, probably within about 10 years or so.  This proposal requires even more spectrum than that so they are considering multiple areas.  They are even looking at forcing current TV stations to evacuate the space, paying them some amount for the equipment upgrades that they had to make to go digital that they then couldn't use and forcing them to broadcast on wired services only (cable, internet) or satellite.
The long term goal here is that there would be no broadcast TV and that the entire spectrum would be resold.
I don't know that they care about what happens to communication via wire when a crisis like storms or hurricanes and tornados occur but, limiting all communication to the internet sure does make content control easier, especially if the FCC is given the ability to control the internet "as a simple phone system".  This is what is being sought now for internet regulation.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mark Simpson

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »

This 700mhz ban is just in the US, right? If so, then I'd think that it would be possible to sell the banned wireless units on ebay internationally, to countries where they are legal for use.. Or does no such other country exist?...

That's what happened when they outlawed non catalytic converter based construction equip here in CA.. Contractors found a market for their now useless tractors in China..

So the Chinese got heavy construction equipment for pennies on the dollar, while many small CA contractors took it in the shorts and were forced out of business.. And the tractors are still out there polluting the world, just at the benefit of an economic competitor..

Go figure...

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 11:01:31 PM »

There are some South American countries but I'm not sure which one.  The issue with selling them across national borders as far as I know is export/import of radio equipment and proper certification for the region where it's going.  Don't know the in's and outs.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mark Simpson

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 11:36:34 PM »

In a lot of cases, it's probably more trouble than it's worth if you have to go through al that. Unless you went into business as some sort of clearing house and worked out the paperwork in bulk...

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:03 PM »

I think there were some ministries sending donated units (don't know about sale units) to South America, again don't know any specifics.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mark Cartwright

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »

I checked with our International Missions Board (Southern Baptist) and the lady's exact words were... "Well, with customs and all, the things could sit in customs forever and ever, amen."  She went on to say it could quite possibly be very difficult and costly to send them to another country for use. [We were considering donating to missionaries we have abroad, for example.]

Mark Cartwright
Sound & Multimedia Director
Calvary Baptist Church
Batesville, Arkansas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.