ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 700 range  (Read 9866 times)

Lee Buckalew

Re: 700 range
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »

Mark,
No one was throwing rocks.  
Every church that I am aware of has asked the same questions.  "How can they do this, how long can we use what we have, what will happen if we don't change our mics, will they change the rules again, when, etc."

This forum is for everyone who not only writes but also those who read it and don't contribute.  Many of us provide answers and commentary from our work with many different churches.

Most have also stated that this would be too expensive for them to change out their wireless, at least not all at once.  
Typically if you are in a church with one or two wireless your budget is very tight.  
If you are in a church with 30 wireless you typically have a higher overall budget but both are huge financial hits that were not budgeted for.  
I know of one church I work with where the pastor was certain that other churches were not dealing with this as he was being told by his own sound team and by me.  This church was going to have to spend about $30,000.00 to replace all of their wireless.  The pastor contacted another pastor at a different church to ask what they were doing and was basically told, you're getting by with only a $30,000.00 cost, it's going to cost us over $150,000.00.  For each church these were un-budgeted amounts and are having to be worked in over time.  In the meantime each is reducing their wireless use until they can build back up to the quantity they would like to have.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mark Simpson

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »

Robert Whittemore wrote on Wed, 09 June 2010 08:49

Prayer is always a great answer! Sorry if it came off as a personal attack...not my intention. God bless!

Oh I know it wasn't 'intentional'.. I think it just is 'built in' to us and we do it without thinking about it.. The Christian walk is not for the faint of heart..... That's why I laugh when those without understanding say it's a 'crutch' or a 'cop out'... Denying oneself and looking in the mirror are the hardest endeavors a man can undertake....

God bless you too.. I like this conversational tone 'much' better! It's rooted in love...

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...  Very Happy

Mark Simpson

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »

Lee Buckalew wrote on Wed, 09 June 2010 08:56

Mark,
No one was throwing rocks.  
Every church that I am aware of has asked the same questions.  "How can they do this, how long can we use what we have, what will happen if we don't change our mics, will they change the rules again, when, etc."

This forum is for everyone who not only writes but also those who read it and don't contribute.  Many of us provide answers and commentary from our work with many different churches.

Most have also stated that this would be too expensive for them to change out their wireless, at least not all at once.  
Typically if you are in a church with one or two wireless your budget is very tight.  
If you are in a church with 30 wireless you typically have a higher overall budget but both are huge financial hits that were not budgeted for.  
I know of one church I work with where the pastor was certain that other churches were not dealing with this as he was being told by his own sound team and by me.  This church was going to have to spend about $30,000.00 to replace all of their wireless.  The pastor contacted another pastor at a different church to ask what they were doing and was basically told, you're getting by with only a $30,000.00 cost, it's going to cost us over $150,000.00.  For each church these were un-budgeted amounts and are having to be worked in over time.  In the meantime each is reducing their wireless use until they can build back up to the quantity they would like to have.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Again Lee, I am not a 'stupid' man.. I can discern the obvious.. Do I really need to spell it out? Why not just acknowledge the obvious occurred and learn from it?

I was used as an example as if I were not in the room, both here and in the other thread... That is a fact...

So, time to stop kicking the dead horse, and be 'on guard' for this bad habit of using 'me' (or anyone else in the future) as an example for sin....

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »

Mark Simpson wrote on Wed, 09 June 2010 10:50

Robert Whittemore wrote on Tue, 08 June 2010 13:08

You are correct that it may not be many emergency responders that will use this range. I have just heard too many people that think this will not apply to them because they live far out in rural areas where there are no tv stations. They still have 911, state police, fire departments, etc. where this will apply. Pleading poverty is not an option when you could potentially be risking a life.

Oh for crying out loud people! Give it a rest!

Our transmitter is 171.905 Mhz!

When I found out about this law, I asked about enforcement hoping to find out that we might have a little time to deal with getting a new wireless "IF" we were in violation..

Some here decided to become pharisees and 'immediately' start condemning my church as immoral hypocrites! When 'they' did not even know about it yet...

Why is it 'so' important to keep digging this back up and throwing it in my face? How does this attitude differentiate you from the world and the way those who live for it treat each other?

I am learning (the hard way) the incredible wisdom of the Lord when like a sheep before the shearers, He refused to open His mouth in His own defense.. It just gets rendered back at you as pearls underfoot of swine....

I expect this critical spirit from the world, but there are places where it happens that it 'really' saddens me... like from those who claim on one hand to be my brother or sister, and on the other are the very 'first' to pick up and cast the stone....

If it makes you happy for me to say so, then yes, I indeed am an immoral hypocrite, thief, and a liar... a work in progress...

At one level or another, 'all' men are hypocrites and liars... And if you think that you are not, then the truth is not in you.. so look intently in the mirror first before you pick up that stone..

Put childish ways behind you...

Hey Mark, sometimes people post things here and it's actually not about you! You asked for information, were given information, and now apparently no one can discuss the 700MHz transition anymore because it somehow offends you. Get over yourself. This discussion had been gong on for 2-3 years before you found out about it. It will go on longer. Put your childish ways behind you.

Mac

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »

We have 5 of these older units in a closet gathering dust. I am wondering which countries tolerate the use of these outlawed units. It would be nice to find a home for them since they are still usable...just not here.

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »

Kent,
I think there were some previous posts about this if you search.  Also, Henry Cohen may know of some.  I think that there was one (or more) South American country(s) that are still using this frequency range and that did not have big import restrictions for wireless equipment.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mark Simpson

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Wed, 09 June 2010 12:01

Mark Simpson wrote on Wed, 09 June 2010 10:50

Robert Whittemore wrote on Tue, 08 June 2010 13:08

You are correct that it may not be many emergency responders that will use this range. I have just heard too many people that think this will not apply to them because they live far out in rural areas where there are no tv stations. They still have 911, state police, fire departments, etc. where this will apply. Pleading poverty is not an option when you could potentially be risking a life.

Oh for crying out loud people! Give it a rest!

Our transmitter is 171.905 Mhz!

When I found out about this law, I asked about enforcement hoping to find out that we might have a little time to deal with getting a new wireless "IF" we were in violation..

Some here decided to become pharisees and 'immediately' start condemning my church as immoral hypocrites! When 'they' did not even know about it yet...

Why is it 'so' important to keep digging this back up and throwing it in my face? How does this attitude differentiate you from the world and the way those who live for it treat each other?

I am learning (the hard way) the incredible wisdom of the Lord when like a sheep before the shearers, He refused to open His mouth in His own defense.. It just gets rendered back at you as pearls underfoot of swine....

I expect this critical spirit from the world, but there are places where it happens that it 'really' saddens me... like from those who claim on one hand to be my brother or sister, and on the other are the very 'first' to pick up and cast the stone....

If it makes you happy for me to say so, then yes, I indeed am an immoral hypocrite, thief, and a liar... a work in progress...

At one level or another, 'all' men are hypocrites and liars... And if you think that you are not, then the truth is not in you.. so look intently in the mirror first before you pick up that stone..

Put childish ways behind you...

Hey Mark, sometimes people post things here and it's actually not about you! You asked for information, were given information, and now apparently no one can discuss the 700MHz transition anymore because it somehow offends you. Get over yourself. This discussion had been gong on for 2-3 years before you found out about it. It will go on longer. Put your childish ways behind you.

Mac

Again, I am not stupid.. The references to "Pleading poverty is not an option " and "too many people that think this will not apply to them because they live far out in rural areas where there are no tv stations" the day after a thread blew up because I took issue with someone insinuating my church being immoral and hypocritical because my church was teaching morality and simultaneously 'breaking the law' (asking me if I was okay with this situation is about as direct a proof you can get as it being directed to me)... and in this thread I explained that we were experiencing some severe hard times, and lived in a rural area too far out to receive TV stations... and you expect me to believe that the poster I called out on this just happened to pick all these scenarios out of the blue?

Yeah, and I got some prime real estate on the moon for sale.. interested?

Get over 'your' self.. and quit trying to blow smoke where the sun don't shine....

I've 'tried' to accept the apologies of those with whom I was actually talking to, letting this all die and moving on, but there are those who 'insist' on picking up stones yet again and getting into the mix of things after the fact.... they just can't help themselves...

My only mistake in all this, is answering them... I can't seem to help myself either...

So, how long ya gonna keep kicking this dead horse?

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »

Mark Simpson wrote on Wed, 09 June 2010 19:28

Again, I am not stupid.. The references to "Pleading poverty is not an option " and "too many people that think this will not apply to them because they live far out in rural areas where there are no tv stations" the day after a thread blew up because I took issue with someone insinuating my church being immoral and hypocritical because my church was teaching morality and simultaneously 'breaking the law' (asking me if I was okay with this situation is about as direct a proof you can get as it being directed to me)... and in this thread I explained that we were experiencing some severe hard times, and lived in a rural area too far out to receive TV stations... and you expect me to believe that the poster I called out on this just happened to pick all these scenarios out of the blue?

Of course it was instigated because of your post, but what it complained about was the many users who use the same argument, of whom you are only the latest. As was said before this is a discussion that has been going on for years. You have been part of it for less than a week. Being the new guy you are no less or no more guilty of refusing to accept reality than the many who went before you.

Mac

Mark Simpson

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 08:14:32 PM »

So, I take it you're interested in that moon ranch?  Very Happy

Brad Weber

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »

Mark, there are a lot of people who probably could have been helped by the last two threads where you seem to have gotten your panties in a wad.  Now they likely will have trouble finding the good in all the chaff.

Just to remind everyone, until just recently, and after the decision to clear the 700MHz spectrum, the vast majority of churches using wireless microphone and IEM systems were not licensed users, they were in effect squatters with no real rights or existence in the eyes of the law.  If you had been licensed users you would have been paying for that privilege.  Keep that in mind when addressing the change and the related costs, you can't really lose something you never actually had and you accepted that situation when it was to your benefit.

Also consider that this change is not directed at churches.  The same issues are affecting schools, arts groups, corporations (including non-profits and charities) and many others.  Many of these face very similar financial challenges.

I realize this doesn't really change anything but maybe it can cast a bit different perspective on it.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.