ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sanctuary series speakers SSE S5 peavey  (Read 2297 times)

Russ Buck

sanctuary series speakers SSE S5 peavey
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:25:13 AM »

wondering who has used these and with what results?  I am on a limited budget and looking for some decent flyable speakers in the $600 range max each.  hoping to get by with out sub woofer untill budget allows.  any advise?  also looking at the DBX driverack, any options at this verse the peavey VXS26?  also do you think I can get by with our old 10+yrs crown amp until budget allows for replacement?

Russ
Bethel A/G church
Sycamore, IL

Tom Young

Re: sanctuary series speakers SSE S5 peavey
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »

Russ-

I have not used these speakers.  But based on the info available at Peavey's website plus your other questions, I have a few comments/observations for you to consider:

1) this speaker is designed with asymmetric coverage (it tilts the HF coverage angle down 10-degrees).  You need to take this into account as far as where they will be hung and how they will be aimed.

2) is the 90-degree horizontal by 40-degree vertical coverage pattern of this speaker appropriate for your space and seating arrangement ?

3) do you have adequate structural rigging points where these speakers need to be installed in your sanctuary for best coverage ?

4) you really need to have someone with professional rigging experience hang these. This is a life safety issue.

5) they claim the frequency response is 70Hz to 17kHz. Therefore you can get by with no subwoofer for a while, but you will have limited low frequency outout until you do add subs. You really need to apply a high-pass filter to protect these speakers until you get subs.

6) your question about your existing Crown amp is meaningless until you identify the amp model.

7) the lower cost DBX driveracks are known to emit loud pops through the speakers when they are turned on or off. This can cause damage to the speakers but it can be avoided if you very carefully turn things on and off in the correct sequence.

The VSX26 had a few glitches when it was first introduced. I am not sure if Peavey ever straightened these out. I would look into this before buying one.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: sanctuary series speakers SSE S5 peavey
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.