ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need recommendations for spacing multiple outlets on AC stage stringer  (Read 6755 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia

I'm going to build an AC stage stringer from 12/3 SOOW and the sideways rubber quad boxes.  What has worked for you for spacing between the quads?  I need to cover everything from the basic four -- six piece rock band up to a big band with three rows of horns and music stand lights at every position, so I'm thinking at least five or six quads, including one end.

Gus Housen

I have 10 ft spacing if I did it over I would do 15 ft

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

I have 10 ft spacing if I did it over I would do 15 ft
+1
I use powercon cables for my stringers and I have 5&10ft lengths and never use the 5 and would like a 15 sometimes.
The thing I like about what I use is I only have to deploy the number of outlet boxes I need for a show and not the whole shebang for a small one.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

+1
I use powercon cables for my stringers and I have 5&10ft lengths and never use the 5 and would like a 15 sometimes.
The thing I like about what I use is I only have to deploy the number of outlet boxes I need for a show and not the whole shebang for a small one.

Like Rob say's, you can always roll it up but those damn cable stretchers are hard to find.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Bower

I considered doing this but there are so many variations in stages and bands. Instead I built various cables with quad boxes from 5 to 50 foot in length. Sometimes I get lucky and use 4-5 5 footers, other times I'm stringing 50's together.
 Though many will disagree, I use 14/3 for backline. There's not much draw there usually.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA

No disagreement.  I did do something similar.  I just have a bunch of 15' quad boxes and 15' extension cords.  12/3 SJOOW.  That gives me more than I need for an average gig.  I keep all connectors edison-style, for maximum flexibility.  The quads are big and ugly and easy to keep track of.  I just need to watch out for the extension cords, as they do tend to walk away, like the guitar cables.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 07:37:02 PM by Chris Davis »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

I'm going to build an AC stage stringer from 12/3 SOOW and the sideways rubber quad boxes.  What has worked for you for spacing between the quads?  I need to cover everything from the basic four -- six piece rock band up to a big band with three rows of horns and music stand lights at every position, so I'm thinking at least five or six quads, including one end.

MIne always had a long section in the middle (to get around the drum riser).

I had 2 quads on each "side" about 10' apart.

I would not plan on trying to cover your "big" situations with a single distro cable.  Most of the time it would get in the way.

Do a system to cover your basic day to day needs, and then use quads on 20' cables to do the rest.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio

I too have PowerCon boxes.  My cables are 15', which seems about right (although a few short ones for the front line would be good to have on occasion).  I sometimes wish that each box had two passthru sockets, one of them being on the same end as the input.

EmilBarnabas

• Barnabas MultiMedia

I bought two of these E-String cables. One goes across the front of the stage, and one across the back.

It's 12/3 with six outlets spaced along a 23' cable. It comes with a 20A plug, but mine came with the adapter to 15A plug.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/356690-REG/E_String_50116B_Six_Outlet_AC_Extension.html

For $60 you can't build one any cheaper or better. And it's a lot lighter then you could do DIY.

They also have a 50' with 6 outlets
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/356691-REG/E_String_50112B_Six_Outlet_AC_Extension.html

And a 3-outlet, 25' cable
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/529185-REG/E_String_50123B_Three_Outlet_Extension_Cord.html

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.